Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Been lurking here for a couple of weeks and found lots of useful info - thanks!
Test drove an R-Sport Petrol last weekend and going back to try the Diesel (180PS) next weekend.
The better fuel consumption & lower emissions of the diesel is attractive (I do quite a few miles) but there is a pretty big step up in price from the 200PS Petrol to 180PS Diesel.
The other factor is that the lead time on Petrols is even longer then the Diesels (and it's 3 months on them)

Paul

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would not base my decision on lead times given I would have to live with my choice for years.

If I had an open choice I'd probably take the petrol but I don't do many miles. Although I'd choose the one I preferred despite cost as if I'm paying I might as well enjoy it.
But I'm stuck with diesel as it's a company car for me this time round.

That said the emissions and economy of the petrol line up does seem quite poor. You can run a 3l bm with lower emissions and higher mpg.

R sport does seem a great trim level it's what I have ordered.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - although i forgot to mention one key factor for me: my aging X-Type runs out of tax and MOT at the end of September and it's not economical to get it MOT'd again (>£1000). So that's its "drop dead date".
Although we can manage for a few weeks without that car, it's not going to be feasible for long.

I really preferred the R-Sport over the Prestige and (perhaps more importantly) so did the wife.

One slightly amusing story: my wife sat in the XE in the showroom ("ooh I like this") and moved the seat forward to the right position which it did but then stopped with her feet still 2" from the pedals! "Ah, we can't have one of these, I'm too short" (she's 5' 2"). Cue panic by Dealer (and me!) until we realise the car battery had conked out and the seat wouldn't move in any direction. When we went for a test drive all was fine!

·
Registered
664 Posts
does anyone know of a link to quick reference side-by-side comparison of the different models?
I know I can find the info in one place or another, but would be nice if you could see it all on one page. I'm considering a Portfolio, but not 100% sure on whether R-Sport with a few options would be better. I did look at Prestige plus options equivalent to Portfolio, but cost ended up being more in the end (as a company lease).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the R-Sport rather more exciting and modern compared to the prestige (haven't seen a portfolio). Outside the lack of the led running lights makes the Prestige look more staid and the sports seats made the R-Sport feel more fun to drive. But that's very much my personal preference!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I preferred the r sport spec. Very similar to the m sport I'm used to.

I really like the side intakes and the r sport decals, the seats felt better than mine, more like earlier BM sport seats which I preferred, the small rear spoiler again same as my current car. All in all it suited me perfectly.

Would of liked the meridian sound system but in a toss up between the two the r sport captured my heart.

Only niggle on the r sport are the plain exhausts. Ends should have a trim or be rolled or flared. Other than that I think they have the look just right.

·
Registered
425 Posts
tobes, have you sampled the difference between the Jaguar and the Meridian sound systems ?

Probably not available yet but I bet that a company will latch onto the plain end exhaust appearance and produce more attractive 'add on' ends at a reasonable price.

Mind you shame on Jaguar for not making a proper job of those ends !

·
Registered
799 Posts
No I haven't listened to either. I'm sure the standard will be great but it was the only item that gave me any thought when checking between the two and the sports seats alone were a massive tick in the sport column.

Exhaust is minor and you're right someone will offer something soon. Just a shame as they have put so much into the rest of the exterior.

I'd love the split tails the s has but i don't think it's unreasonable to expect something more than a plain cut end.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The only difference in the sports seats appears to be the head and shoulders. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
799 Posts
They felt firmer and a snugger fit. That's generally the difference maybe just my imagination telling me they were but back support appears to be 3 smaller cushions but one on other models (se prestige etc) these are firmer than the single.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree - the R-Sport seats are definitely a snugger fit and firmer support too. I thought they were much better than the other models.
That reminds me of another question I had, all the XEs that I looked at had electric seat controls (up/down, forward/back, recline, which seems like 6-way to me) and the dealer implied that they were standard, but the configurator says the standard is only electric recline with an option for 10-way electric seats.
Anyone know whether the standard seats require manual forward/back or not?

thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
Paul the R sport I sat in had electric movement but may of been an extra as it was 44k

Sports seats are listed as 8x8 I assume adjustments. The portfolio is listed as 10x10.

But I prefer better seats over negligible adjustments.

Electric front to back adjustment is fine with memory pack but without it its much faster to adjust manually.

The one feature none of them have though is to extend the front edge of the seat towards back of knees.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Cushion length adjustment.
Bolster adjustment (inflate/deflate).
Lumbar support adjustment.
Seatback angle adjustment.
Height adjustment.
Forward and rearward adjustment.
Cushion front tilt adjustment.

Question though is which ones of the above come with which seats?

·
Registered
425 Posts
The following has been extracted from the Jaguar XE 'Compare Standard and Optional Features' chart:

Manual 8 way is standard for XE SE, XE Prestige and XE R-Sport.
(Assumed by me) Forward and rearward adjustment of complete seat, Seat height adjustment, Seatback angle adjustment and head restraint adjustment.

Electric 10 way is standard for XE Portfolio and XES.
(Assumed by me) Cushion length adjustment, Cushion front tilt adjustment, Forward and rearward adjustment of complete seat, Seat height adjustment, Seatback angle adjustment.

Lumber 4 way adjustment is an option in conjunction with electric seats on all models.

However 14 way electric adjust front seats with 4 way electric lumber adjust is not available for either the XE SE or XE Prestige. (This appears to be a contradiction to the above !!)

This is totally confusing. When I check my ordered 'Configured Vehicle Specification', it reads as follows:
(H53K) 14x14 way Electric Front seats plus 4 way electric lumber adjust
(F52C) 4 Way Lumber, Adj Bolster
(H50A) Seat Cushion Extension

I think this must be a question for Pickle to take with him when he visits the factory next Tuesday.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's nice they make everything so clear.

I've learnt more here than from the highly rated main dealer, who gave me lots of inaccurate and wrong information in particular telling me no difference to manual and auto features. Option was 163 auto or 180 man so wouldn't of made a difference but nice to know what you will actually have on car when it arrives. How else do you know if it's delivered to correct spec?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bother, that's another £765 then to get electric seats. Can't believe they then charge another £700 to get the memory function, that's a step too far (for me at least!)

·
Registered
425 Posts
tobes, my retailer handed me a three page "Configured Vehicle Specification" supplied direct from the factory detailing all the bits and pieces that will and will not be on my car. It was e-mailed to my retailer while I waited, so if you haven't been presented with one, you must surely ask.

Just as an example, it tells me I won't be getting Wade Sensing, or television tuner and to crown it all they haven't included a Signal Flare Warning Bracket. What am I going to do ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.