Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Tony, and I live in West London. I've booked a test drive for a 180PS diesel R-Sport on Saturday at Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton.

I think I've got my heart set on an XE as a replacement to my current Mini Cooper S. I did think about the new John Cooper Works Mini but dismissed it as just being the same thing but with more power. For quite a while I was going down the Evoque route until I saw the Jaguar ads sponsoring show on Sky1 :)

Now I'm just looking forward to tomorrow and hoping it's not going to rain :-bd

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome Tony!

Keep us updated about your test drive and (hopefully) your ordered XE!

Marc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I join with Marc in welcoming you to the forum.
Without actually having driven an XE, have you decided which model you'd like?
I'm sure the test drive will make you more eager to place your order !

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Saturday morning was good fun.

I had an early 9am appointment at Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton and arrived a bit early. I was greeted by Claudio, and offered a coffee whilst the paperwork was sorted and then he showed me around one in the showroom whilst the demo car was being readied.

Then it was out on the road. Never having driven an auto car before, the guy took me out of the dealers and up the road where he ran me through the basics and then I was in control. I think I got the hang of the auto box quite quickly, although a couple of times I reached for the gearstick or went to put my foot on the clutch.

As to the car, it was lovely. Probably the most luxurious car I've ever been in. It felt very well put together, everything had a nice solid feel to it. The leather that covers almost everything looks and feels great. Seats are really comfortable and with the quite high centre console, you feel enclosed and part of the car. I didn't really take much notice of all the information on the dash, just concentrated on the driving and making sure I didn't hit anything :) The drive was really smooth, even with the R-Sport model I was driving which is supposed to have stiffer suspension. The steering had a nice, solid feel and the controls all felt nice a weighty. I didn't go mental in it but the engine had a nice feel, and felt quick enough. There was a good amount of acceleration and I really felt the surge when I put my foot down. The car felt really planted and sure footed when under power, not something I could say about my current Mini.

Eventually we arrived back at the dealers and he handed me over to Frasier and we talked turkey. That was all pretty simple as I'd built my car loads of time with the on-line configurator. The only real choice I had was the colour. I was set on the red with the black pack, but they had a white one with the black pack and red interior accents on the showroom floor and it looked stunning. In the end, I went for the white. They offered me a bit less than I was hoping for to trade in my Mini and I had a figure that I wanted to pay, but I also added the 5 year servicing and the paint/leather protection which bumped that price up a bit. Frasier massaged the figures a bit and in the end we got within £500 of my target price, which we shook hands on and I was pretty happy. Then it was all the paperwork to do. Frasier said that expected delivery dates were now September/October, but he said that the dealers themselves had a number of cars on order and he should be able to modify one of those meaning I should be able to get the car in August. (Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure if that is definite or not. I'll have to check).

After that it was on to the finance guy to offer me their services, which I don't need and then we were done.

Overall, a very pleasant experience, with a great result. Now I've just got the long wait until I can pick up the car.

Having never bought a brand new car before, will they keep me updated with progress?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XES Owner said:
I join with Marc in welcoming you to the forum.
Without actually having driven an XE, have you decided which model you'd like?
I'm sure the test drive will make you more eager to place your order !
Yes, I'd pretty much decided on the R-sport manual 2.0 180PS diesel. It seemed to do everything I wanted and have most of the stuff I'd like as standard. I was a bit iffy about having a diesel for the first time, but the road tax soon convinced me :)

The options I went for in the end were:

Exterior:
Glacier white metalic paint
18" Matrix wheels in black
Black pack
Privacy glass

Interior:
Jet/red leather trim
Heated rear seats

That's it, not exactly fully loaded, but the standard spec has nearly all the bells and whisles that I would want anyway. And it's far in excess of what I'm used to with my current Mini :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats, a great choice. I, too, saw the white with the black pack and jet/red interior and agree that it looked stunning - stunning enough to consider changing my order for a moment!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the glacier white and black wheels look great, same as the one I've ordered. My one gets built on the 5th of June with delivery no later than the 26th.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's great sxtony

I'm heading to Thames Ditton on Saturday (they called me today) to see an XE for the first time, although I ordered my r sport 180 in March.

As for diesel you will soon get used to it. My current car is diesel although I swore I'd never have diesel or auto for that matter! But I've ordered another albeit with a manual box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neil, good choice. Put up some pic when you get it :)

Tobes, Good luck on Saturday, looks like the weather will be nice. I see you're in Twickenham, just up the road from me in Whitton.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes very close. I'm just over the 316 but train from Whitton so I can get a seat ☺

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good one. If I see you in your XE I'll wave. But If it's a weekday I'll probably be on my motorbike :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts