Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been looking at an XE-S for a while now, and one has popped up that seems to tick all the boxes: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-jaguar-xe-s-auto-my19/OAG-AD-20762779/?Cr=0

The dealer claims "it has all the options" but when I asked them for a list, they couldn't give me one (weird). There are sooooo many options I want to know what this vehicle actually has before I fly halfway across the country to look at it. The dealer gave me the VIN and I called my local Jag dealer, but they said only the dealer it came from originally can look it up and give me a list.. and I can't find the dealer it came from as the used dealer seems to have no idea (little bit suspect, to be honest).

Is there somewhere that I can enter a Jaguar VIN and it'll pump out a spec list for that particular vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Original dealer found! They've sent me screenshots from Vista which was helpful, and I've registered for TOPix and I see it's only 15gbp (about au$30-40) for an hour access so I think I'll do that.

Despite the current dealer's claim of "all" the options, the Vista report has maybe ten or fifteen items with "LESS" in front of them. Some seem insignificant (I can do without rear window blinds!) but some seem more important, such as traffic sign recognition.. I own a traffic management company and that recognition software is something I wanted so that I can use this vehicle to test our site setups (seems like a good excuse to buy a jag to me ;) )

Can computer options like sign recognition be added later through software/firmware updates?

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Hi,

I've been looking at an XE-S for a while now, and one has popped up that seems to tick all the boxes: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-jaguar-xe-s-auto-my19/OAG-AD-20762779/?Cr=0
Handsome car that!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Visually, it's the same as the R-Sports that many of us around here know and love. But under the bonnet.. Ooof!! 😃

I'd love to magic a V6 block into mine. Suspect my DIY skills aren't up to it.
Not common even in the UK, and no more for new :confused:.. Guess that one is one of the very last. Certainly looks like it has all the toys in it.
Others are wiser than me on your questions. Good luck with this!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Handsome car that!

Visually, it's the same as the R-Sports that many of us around here know and love. But under the bonnet.. Ooof!! 😃

I'd love to magic a V6 block into mine. Suspect my DIY skills aren't up to it.
Not common even in the UK, and no more for new :confused:.. Guess that one is one of the very last. Certainly looks like it has all the toys in it.
Others are wiser than me on your questions. Good luck with this!
It's gorgeous, I saw it and instantly went 'Yep that's the one.' I race mountain bikes and it's almost the exact same colour as my race bike! When I saw it had the digital dash and the higher end stereo I was keen as, and now I've managed to get the spec list from TOPix as well as the service history (thanks to another forum member), so it's looking pretty good.

I don't really know a lot about them but I've been doing a bit of research for the past few months, and it seems like 2018 was the last year for the S in Australia so you're most likely right that it's one of the last ones. I was a bit iffy about buying something older than 2018 and with no warranty (especially an S that might have been flogged), but this one is young enough to have about a year of warranty left so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

It's flying-distance away but there's a chance I'll be down there in a few days to look at it properly, and might be driving it back on the weekend ;)

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
I don't really know a lot about them but I've been doing a bit of research for the past few months, and it seems like 2018 was the last year for the S in Australia so you're most likely right that it's one of the last ones.
Not just Oz, globally. They finished the V6 then. None after the facelift. And these days not many facelifted ones of any kind with any engines.. :(

It's flying-distance away but there's a chance I'll be down there in a few days to look at it properly, and might be driving it back on the weekend ;)
It rather sounds like the decision is already made. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Reminds me of this review, from 2017, where I pretty much decided I wanted an XE. Same as yours.

He comments on the 100kg additional weight over the front wheels of the V6 over the 25T. I guess you'd need to drive both actively to see the difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It rather sounds like the decision is already made. :ROFLMAO:
I've been looking for one in either white, blue, or this colour and with a black interior, plus the higher end stereo, for about a year now... this one ticks every box other than having a few more km's than I was hoping... was hoping for closer to 40,000k but it's still pretty good. There's only ever about 4-5 of the S for sale in Australia at any given time and they never have the right combo of options for me (or they've got the red interior, and I don't dig red), so it's been a long wait for the right one to pop up and I think this one is as close as I'm going to get!

He comments on the 100kg additional weight over the front wheels of the V6 over the 25T. I guess you'd need to drive both actively to see the difference.
That's interesting, thanks for posting :) I drove a 25T about six months ago and fell in love with it, but when I found out there was a supercharged 6 I decided on it over the turbo 4. Bit more weight over the front is alright with me - I raced gokarts and open wheelers for years and I like a grippy front end, so the little extra weight into the treads should be sweet

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,570 Posts
Having owned two V6's, one the 340 and the second the 380 I can assure you it's a different animal from any of the 4 cylinder engines. I drove a few loaners during service times with the diesel or petrol 4.
I also had a P300 in a later Evoque and whilst it's a good engine it doesn't come close for linear power delivery and grunt.
The V6's sound pretty awesome too.
Given the offers being made on trade in I wouldn't blame anybody for trading their current XE in for an original S.
I had a look on the UK approved website recently and quite a few available.
Including half a dozen 18 or 68 plate 380's.
Prices were from about £25.000 up to low thirties for a couple with under 30.000 miles.
Had they carried on fitting the V6 in the XE I may well be in one now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having owned two V6's, one the 340 and the second the 380 I can assure you it's a different animal from any of the 4 cylinder engines. I drove a few loaners during service times with the diesel or petrol 4.
I also had a P300 in a later Evoque and whilst it's a good engine it doesn't come close for linear power delivery and grunt.
The V6's sound pretty awesome too.
Given the offers being made on trade in I wouldn't blame anybody for trading their current XE in for an original S.
I had a look on the UK approved website recently and quite a few available.
Including half a dozen 18 or 68 plate 380's.
Prices were from about £25.000 up to low thirties for a couple with under 30.000 miles.
Had they carried on fitting the V6 in the XE I may well be in one now.
I'm sure it is... when I drove the 4cyl I fell in love with the handling and the gearbox, but while turbos were fun when I was 20 I'm feeling like being in something a little classier these days ;) The first night I was doing research on the 25T I drove, I found they made the supercharged six and that was it for me haha

Prices sound a little better over there; this one has ~49k miles and is more like £35k, and fully optioned ones with less mileage seem to go for $70-80k or about £40-45k. I guess comparing two cars in different markets with different currencies isn't really a fair comparison though... we like our BMWs and Audis over here, but the more obscure brands like Jag/MG/Renault etc tend to be expensive to buy, service, and repair, so aren't all that popular. Relative to the prices I've been watching over the past year or so, this one's actually pretty cheap.. I'd have expected $65k or so. Hopefully it's a bargain and not a lemon, but with a year of warranty left it doesn't really matter I guess 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Closest I will get to the V6 goodness is this right now. I don't own the game, but it looks rather fun! It's a passable version of England.
I suspect it would be a bit lame compared with feeling the handling of the real thing :ROFLMAO: I just hope not my driving ;)

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
I'm sure it is... when I drove the 4cyl I fell in love with the handling and the gearbox, but while turbos were fun when I was 20 I'm feeling like being in something a little classier these days ;)
Turbos were monsters in my experience of Imprezzas and Rover 220 coupes in the 90s. Scared myself (and anyone with me) half to death!

I like to think we have all grown up a bit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: dangoesfast

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turbos were monsters in my experience of Imprezzas and Rover 220 coupes in the 90s. Scared myself (and anyone with me) half to death!

Haha when I was about 20 (early 2000s) I had an 82 Cordia with a tuned 2l VR4.. with 208kw at the front wheels I don't know how I ever kept that thing on the road in the wet! WRXs and Lancers were all the rage then, with Mazda RXs being pretty popular too.

I'm not sure I've grown up, but the cars I want to drive have 😆

·
Registered
in Sandwell, West Midlands!
887 Posts

Nope... :p

Growing old is unavoidable - growing up is definitely an option I haven't ticked :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure 1100 miles in the last week and a half isn't grown up!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sooooo flight fell through (I'm too busy to fit it in) so I've got to try and buy it sight unseen. The dealer has sent through 50+ detailed photos and so far the only real issue I see is some stone chipping on the front bar... nothing crazy for 80,000km's, but a tiny bit too rough for my liking.

Could anyone take a wild stab in the dark at the cost of a replacement front bar in carpathian grey (any currency will do, just after a ballpark)? Would I need it resprayed to match a few years of paint fade, or should I just be able to grab on from Jag and whack it on?

Pretty sure I was reading a thread last night about a guy who'd had a little fender bender in the carpark and most people's reactions were "Thank god you don't have to pay for a new front bar" haha

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
MY18 R-Sport 25t
294 Posts
If that is all the damage consists of you really don't need a new bumper (bar).
A new front bumper from JLR is approx 1500aud but it only comes unpainted so you might as well find a decent body shop and just get them to remove yours, prep it and refinish it in the correct colour which in the UK would be around 900aud.
Obviously if you do go the new bumper and paint match route you can add those 2 figures together because there really is not that much difference in prepping a new bumper to prepping a slightly stone chipped bumper, 2400aud ish!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If that is all the damage consists of you really don't need a new bumper (bar).
A new front bumper from JLR is approx 1500aud but it only comes unpainted so you might as well find a decent body shop and just get them to remove yours, prep it and refinish it in the correct colour which in the UK would be around 900aud.
Obviously if you do go the new bumper and paint match route you can add those 2 figures together because there really is not that much difference in prepping a new bumper to prepping a slightly stone chipped bumper, 2400aud ish!!
Thankyou very much, that's useful info. There's some other quite heavy chipping on the other side, although you're right that a body shop can probably do a much cheaper job of it and I'll definitely investigate that first. I'm trucking it halfway across the country sight unseen though, so it's good to know what the maximum cost will be if it gets here and I decide I want to just replace the whole thing.

We're still within budget even with a new bumper, so off to the next step - inspection and condition report by Jag and another independent dealer.

I think I'll have a new car next week :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
if that's all after 80k km...just repaint it if it bothers you that much. this car is way to good to let it slip because of that

1 - 20 of 110 Posts