Jaguar XE Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

Registered
Best of luck to you.

Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
Wow my pickup journey was 100miles thought that was a decent amount 馃ぃ

Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
Thanks! I'm sooo excited, there's no better way to get to know her than to do 1013 km in our first two days together 馃槀
Hate to tempt fate, but are you confident you will have your licence after this little trip? ;)

Hundreds of miles across the empty Outback. Hmmm... if only we had such opportunities in England. I'd be banned very quickly I suspect. Aussie policemen are nice enough, I seem to recall, but at 250 km/h?
You are clearly much more responsible than me. Good luck. 馃

• Haha
Reactions: bik3rz

Registered
Australia's Northern Territory used to have no maximum speed limit and I remember using that lack of restriction to full effect on a trip up the Stuart Highway back in the late 1990s. Does the NT now have a maximum speed limit? I seem to remember seeing something about that a few years back.

Registered
Thanks! I'm sooo excited, there's no better way to get to know her than to do 1013 km in our first two days together 馃槀

Do you mind if I ask who you insure yours through? Anyone give you a particularly good deal?
Sure. I鈥檓 insured with Suncorp. Mostly because they allow me to choose a repairer. Not that I鈥檝e needed to do that so far.

Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
I was going to say don鈥檛 a lot of the more remote parts of AUS have signs saying something along the lines of 鈥渄rive to the weather conditions鈥 ? Rather than speed limits etc ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Wow my pickup journey was 100miles thought that was a decent amount 馃ぃ
Haha 100 miles is "Just down the road mate" 馃槀

Hate to tempt fate, but are you confident you will have your licence after this little trip? ;)

Hundreds of miles across the empty Outback. Hmmm... if only we had such opportunities in England. I'd be banned very quickly I suspect. Aussie policemen are nice enough, I seem to recall, but at 250 km/h?
You are clearly much more responsible than me. Good luck. 馃
I'm hoping the Jag's cruise control will keep me in check 馃槀 Nah I should be ok, I'm more likely to get in trouble enjoying the handling than the speed. We might give a couple of the numbers over 110 a little tickle but that'll be it, I just want to get comfortable in it :)

Australia's Northern Territory used to have no maximum speed limit and I remember using that lack of restriction to full effect on a trip up the Stuart Highway back in the late 1990s. Does the NT now have a maximum speed limit? I seem to remember seeing something about that a few years back.
I was going to say don鈥檛 a lot of the more remote parts of AUS have signs saying something along the lines of 鈥渄rive to the weather conditions鈥 ? Rather than speed limits etc ?
So these comments brought back memories of the old unrestricted speed signs... Black circles with a line through them. They were mostly phased out before I was old enough to drive but my memory is they don't quite mean "Go as fast as you want," more like "Drive to the conditions but don't be a dickhead." In my state I think you could still be pulled over and booked for dangerous driving in unrestricted zones if the cop thought you were going too fast.

Google "NT speed limits" and you'll find some articles from 2015/16 where they brought back unrestricted zones in the NT for a while.. Interesting reads, although I can't vouch for their accuracy..

Sure. I鈥檓 insured with Suncorp. Mostly because they allow me to choose a repairer. Not that I鈥檝e needed to do that so far.
Good to know! I'll slap an NRMA cover note on to get it home, then do a little shopping around.

Tomorrow's the day! It's 11:30pm.. Reckon I can sleep? 馃槀

Registered
Hahahah have fun drive safe and look forward to all the pics of the journey 馃ぃ

Registered
We still have the circle signs with the diagonal line through them in the UK but they don't mean "no speed limit" as they used to. Instead, and a bit incomprehensibly, they mean 60mph on ordinary roads and 70mph on dual carriageways (divided highways) unless a lower speed limit is posted. Nevertheless, some motorways have 70mph signs posted. I've never understood why these old "no speed limit" signs can't be replaced consistently with 60mph and 70mph signs.

Registered
Generally they are in the countryside as a negative image of the average badger they work as a badger deterrent this stops them mating and keeps the population numbers down which in turn keeps the farmers happy ad helps with consistent grain supplies for the beer industry which exclusively stocks the bars in the halls of Westminster.

or they just didn鈥檛 bother

Registered
I've been waiting for one of our XE Forum colleagues who lives in Germany to chime in on the speed topic with an Autobahn use case example, lol.

Here on the East Coast of the USA, there was an expressway that was about 50 miles long that was designed with banked curves and slow sweeping curves when not arrow straight straightaways. When I was a teenager, I remember the roadsigns saying "70MPH Min" :) These signs are now long gone along with the highway police's tolerance for people who remember and drive accordingly based on these historical goodness limits, ha!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Well no surprise, I bought it 馃榿 There was only one thing I didn't check before flying down and that was whether it had the WiFi module... It doesnt :( I read about it the other night and thought "Hotspot in the car? Mint!" but it doesn't have it at all. Not a big deal, it would have been nice but not worth turning the car down over.

One other thing I didn't check was how it handles two phones at the same time... I have a work phone and a personal phone; I run music/podcasts/etc from the personal phone, and calls from the work phone. I like to keep them completely separate, and so far have never found a car (or an aftermarket head unit) that would connect to both phones and play music from one but take calls from the other. The XE does it perfectly, even pausing the music/podcast while on a call on the work phone! I've always had to use BT + aux, and that never paused the aux while the BT was on a call so I'd always lose my place in my book or podcast. This has been a pain in my arse for a few years now, I'm so stoked it's solved!

Put about 400km on it today and loved every minute of it. 700km day tomorrow 馃榿

Registered
Yes I was impressed with both the E-Pace & my current XE with handling multiple phones my wife鈥檚 Skoda Kodiak does it ok too but all previous vehicles couldn鈥檛 !

Enjoy your drive 馃榾馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Enjoy your drive 馃榾馃憤
Because I bought it interstate, the dealer had to surrender the license plates and cancel the registration... I have a permit, but no plates on the car. Speed cameras can't do much without plates so I must admit I enjoyed today's drive just a little bit more than I should have 馃槈

Just ordered a set of the sequential indicators for the wing mirrors... Haven't even had it 12 hours and I've got new parts on the way 馃ぃ馃ぃ

I'm in loooove 鉂も嶐煍

Registered
You definitely have an extreme case of Smile-i-tis that will now taint you and your cheek muscles for the rest of your life :)

Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
Well no surprise, I bought it 馃榿
What an awful waste of money! :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like you have a hell of a day ahead too. Enjoy! All boys need toys!

And you clearly have the modding bug too. Terrible. Just terrible. ;) Those indicators are a great little update.
That's really interesting on the phones. I am changing jobs and what you describe would suit me well. Thanks.

Registered
Paul,
A minor but important point. While you can pair and have both phone recognized by the infotainment system and have one streaming music while the other phone makes/receives calls, what you can't do is simultaneously receive calls from both phones through the system both at once without overtly selected one phone or the other. Thus, if your work phone is set to make/receive calls while you are streaming music off your personal phone and a call comes in on your personal phone, you'll have to touch an icon on the touchscreen, select your personal phone in lieu of your work phone, let your personal phone sync with the system, and then pick up the call hands-free via the steering wheel button all in real time. It is doable with practice if you aren't exclusively making/receiving calls on your work phone and using your personal phone exclusively for music. I do the above all the time on the drive to/from work each day. I can do this swapover via the infotainment system in about 6-7 seconds so I usually can pickup the call on my other not-initially-synced phone by the 4th or 5th ring. If whomever is calling me hangs up before I can pick up their call, I then use the "Recents" call list to call them right back. Good stuff!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
You definitely have an extreme case of Smile-i-tis that will now taint you and your cheek muscles for the rest of your life :)
I've been grinning all day and probably all night in in my sleep 馃槄

What an awful waste of money! :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like you have a hell of a day ahead too. Enjoy! All boys need toys!

And you clearly have the modding bug too. Terrible. Just terrible. ;) Those indicators are a great little update.
That's really interesting on the phones. I am changing jobs and what you describe would suit me well. Thanks.
I think this is how I did it (phone A = music etc, phone B = calls):

Pair both phones
Go to connectivity settings > Bluetooth and make phone A the default/preferred/primary phone
Go to the phone screen, press options, press "change phones"
Select phone B

That changes the phone it uses for calls to phone B, but phone A stays connected for music etc. It is EXACTLY what I've been trying to achieve for about three years; I was prepared to spend thousands on an aftermarket head unit to do it but couldn't find a single one that could do this (or if they could, nobody knew about it).

This is going to sound silly but this feature alone has made the whole thing worthwhile for me 馃槀馃槀

Registered
I've been grinning all day and probably all night in in my sleep 馃槄

I think this is how I did it (phone A = music etc, phone B = calls):

Pair both phones
Go to connectivity settings > Bluetooth and make phone A the default/preferred/primary phone
Go to the phone screen, press options, press "change phones"
Select phone B

That changes the phone it uses for calls to phone B, but phone A stays connected for music etc. It is EXACTLY what I've been trying to achieve for about three years; I was prepared to spend thousands on an aftermarket head unit to do it but couldn't find a single one that could do this (or if they could, nobody knew about it).

This is going to sound silly but this feature alone has made the whole thing worthwhile for me 馃槀馃槀
Most excellent!

As a side note, be aware that if you have an older mobile phone (especially if running Android 8.0/8.1 OS) you may run into Bluetooth connectivity reliability issues. If you ever start getting Bluetooth connection drops, please search the Forum using the keywords "Bluetooth Android Connection"

61 - 80 of 110 Posts