Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed an odd 'tinking' sound that can be heard towards the rear of the car, usually triggered by uneven roads (it never happens when stationary).

It sounds a little like metal expanding/contracting, It's not very loud, but is quite noticeable if several 'tinks' happen in close succession. It's similar to the sound of when an engine cools. On smoother roads and travelling in a straight line, the sound goes away.

I have the panoramic roof, so I'm wondering if anyone else with a panoramic roof has noticed a similar sound? It could of course be another part of the chasis, or perhaps even the parcel shelf, I'm not entirely sure.

I'd welcome any thoughts...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I noticed the same with my panoramic roof. When the car makes a sudden sideway movement, for example when droging diagonally over a speed bump, i hear the sound...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be inertial force placing stress on the chassis? A panoramic roof does put a rather large hole in an otherwise solid piece of metal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mel. Did they fix it though or do you still have the noise?

Mine will be going back into the dealership for a couple of days as the factory missed off the rear blind from the panoramic glass pack. They said they'll look into this noise at the same.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mel said:
Hi l had that noise left rear took it back to my garage Jaguar engineer came out they said it was the suspension !!!!!!!!! Hope this helps
I now have this noise to.

Only happens once per journey that I notice. On each occasion I've heard it whilst accelerating gently at around the 20 mph mark. Does sound like noise it high level and behind. Thought first time I heard it something in boot was banging but happens with empty boot.

Have checked battery is tight. Will see how you get on with suspension Mel to see if it cures yours.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Given the rather unrefined boot ceiling with the bare metal, could it be cables or latches catching or vibrating? I wonder if some dynamat in that area might be a good addition anyway?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tobes said:
Mel said:
Hi l had that noise left rear took it back to my garage Jaguar engineer came out they said it was the suspension !!!!!!!!! Hope this helps
I now have this noise to.

Only happens once per journey that I notice. On each occasion I've heard it whilst accelerating gently at around the 20 mph mark. Does sound like noise it high level and behind. Thought first time I heard it something in boot was banging but happens with empty boot.

Have checked battery is tight. Will see how you get on with suspension Mel to see if it cures yours.
I get the noise nearly every time the car moves up/down, so could well be linked to suspension.

I'm also getting some reverberation from the B pillar, just over might right shoulder. It's quite high pitched - I thought it was a wasp or something at first!

I really should listen to my music more and I wouldn't notice all these noises! :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Must admit I used to enjoy the silence of a solid build.

I'd say it was suspension but can't think how it would only happen once per journey. Might try sitting in back with wife driving as I really cannot place where noise is from.

Other than engine this is only noise I'm getting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tobes said:

I'd say it was suspension but can't think how it would only happen once per journey. Might try sitting in back with wife driving as I really cannot place where noise is from.

Did you have the panoramic roof on yours tobes?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Plymothian said:
tobes said:

Did you have the panoramic roof on yours tobes?
No, no sunroof.

G

·
I get the odd rear noise now too. I did wonder about the undertray, I got some free speed tape from work and secured it all, did not make a difference. My undertrays were pretty flappy but I dont think they were creating sounds.

The sound I can hear is deep in note, a kind of thud sound. I stripped the boot and kids seats, checked the battery. The rear part of the ceiling moves a bit when touched. Rear sill seems tight, no loose interal plastics. Rear seat raises a little. Kind of at a loss what to check next, slightly annoying.

Apart this this infrequent rattle/noise my car is amazingly quiet now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Noise is very similar to mine. To me like something large in boot sliding against rear bulkhead. But same with empty boot.

I had a similar noise years ago when spare wheel wasn't fixed in properly buy no spare wheel on my xe. Have removed repair kit but no difference.

Will have to offer serious man points to whoever solves it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I never experienced a noise whilst driving but I did notice on cleaning that the rear part of the roof made a sound when pressure was applied to it from above. It sounded like it was making contact with part of the headlining or sound proofing. The kind of sound you get when something would touch a sticky / tacky surface then release itself.

G

·
tobes said:
Might try sitting in back with wife driving as I really cannot place where noise is from.

I thought of that but so far I prefer the noise to my wife driving the XE :)

I wonder if the noise could be coming from the rear window brake light? Something to investigate later.

G

·
I noticed my parcel shelf / sill (not sure of correct name) flexes at the sides and back corner, partucularly on the left side of the car, where I think the noise comes from. So I have applied some foam between the edge of the shelf and the plastic that rise behind the rear headrest. Will update.

Tobes - did you make any progress?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi navigator

No not yet hardly been in it all week. Will check rear parcel shelf and everything in rear seats and boot again at weekend.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.