Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been browsing the forum for a few years now I own a 65 plate XF (x260) 2.0L diesel (180ps) this forum has been very helpful as the XE and XF have a lot of bits in common. Anyway yesterday after a 1 hour drive I had "oil level critically low" warning show on the dash. This only came up when i restarted the engine after the drive. Immediately checked the oil and its on the max mark. I let the engine cool for an hour and checked the oil again, showed on the max mark. I started the engine and no message, so thought it was just a glitch. I went for a short drive and on returning, turned the engine off and left it for a few minutes. I then restarted the engine and "Oil level Critically low" showed again but on blipping the throttle the message disappeared. So this morning on a cold start there was no message and I drove to work. once I got to work I cycled the engine off an on and the message returned.

Has anyone else experienced this, its really bugging me as it only when the engine is warm and the oil is max on the dipstick

·
Registered
597 Posts
ere0839 said:
Hi,

Been browsing the forum for a few years now I own a 65 plate XF (x260) 2.0L diesel (180ps) this forum has been very helpful as the XE and XF have a lot of bits in common. Anyway yesterday after a 1 hour drive I had "oil level critically low" warning show on the dash. This only came up when i restarted the engine after the drive. Immediately checked the oil and its on the max mark. I let the engine cool for an hour and checked the oil again, showed on the max mark. I started the engine and no message, so thought it was just a glitch. I went for a short drive and on returning, turned the engine off and left it for a few minutes. I then restarted the engine and "Oil level Critically low" showed again but on blipping the throttle the message disappeared. So this morning on a cold start there was no message and I drove to work. once I got to work I cycled the engine off an on and the message returned.

Has anyone else experienced this, its really bugging me as it only when the engine is warm and the oil is max on the dipstick
I'm not mechanic and don't know to much about xf but my first guess will be oil level sensor. Probably a scan will reveal an error code. I thought XF don't have an dipstick but oil level is checked electronically.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I guess though that, if the XE is capable of generating the "oil level critically low" message, it must have an oil level sensor.
Be thankful it still has a dipstick so you can check and verify that this message is in error. Without the dipstick you'd have to have the car recovered to a Jaguar dealer to avoid the possibility of running the engine without oil (or being accused of doing so by the dealer)!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I think I will jack the car up and have a look on the sump to see if I can see an oil level sensor. rimmerbros.com list this part as only fitting the petrol variants of the XE and XF

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
It definitely has a sensor in the bottom of the sump. Check the connection as it is near the sump drain plug and could easily have been disturbed.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Apparently these oil levels sensors are very sensitive and need to be on a almost perfectly flat surface to read correctly. Was the car on an incline at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car was parked on what looks to be level ground to me. What is so irritating is the message isn't there on a cold start and when it does appear on a warm start (which is every warm start as checked this evening) disappears as soon as I touch the accelerator. :?

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
I am sure now from what you say it is the sump sensor. The biggest job is taking off the cover under the car engine compartment. It really needs a lift to do it easily. Drain the oil and change the filter. The new part is 2 bolts and plug connector.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That OE JLR part number is AJ812432.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Can you please when sorted, update this post with the result? What part no you used, location of the sensor and if replacement fixed the problem? Will be useful to know just in case this problem will occur for me or other users. Thank you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Fighterpilot said:
This is the part and the location is in the sump near to the drain plug. (Item 3)
_img.jpg
I thought it was engine oil low warning not automatic transmission?

Regards John

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Milfordman said:
Fighterpilot said:
This is the part and the location is in the sump near to the drain plug. (Item 3)
_img.jpg
I thought it was engine oil low warning not automatic transmission?

Regards John
That is the engine!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the information, I will be taking the car to my trusted mechanic to get it up the ramp and plug the car in and see if any faults show.

I can't see the oil level sensor on the diagram of the ingenium diesel 2L below. Also the cars manual mentions nothing about a "oil level critically low" message.
Font Drawing Art Parallel Slope

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.