Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a long time now i've been hooked on this forum and dare i say with a certain amount of envy and frustration watching as so many lucky folk spec out their XE to the brim. Well whilst my company was nice enough to give me an XE as a company car they limited it to a 163 manual SE (yes not even Prestige). They did allow me metallic paint so i went for Ultimate Black and just about enough extra to allow privacy glass and nothing more. So it's been driving me crazy for months now trying to find actual pictures of the SE spec i.e. the Jet Cloth interior and Gloss black trim.
Finally it was delivered today !!!!!!! First impressions are great s many others have said. In all honesty i was over the moon style wise. From the outside you wouldn't be able to tell the SE apart from the Prestige (163 has no tail pipe though compared to 180). Have to say the Ultimate Black is outstanding in the flesh and the stock 17 inch alloys didn't look as small in reality as i'd feared. On the inside as long as you can get over the cloth interior it still has style and comfort etc. I must say however i was somewhat underwhelmed by the 163 performance however and following my previous post about acceleration can confirm that i doubt very much if the published times for the 163 are achievable. (Though i have been testing the ECO mode more today so more testing in DYNAMIC i think!)
So for all you lucky (but not as lucky as the other buggers) people that are wondering what the SE spec looks like here are some early photos....

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light

Car Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Automotive lighting

Tire Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Car looks great!

Some of the best looking standard wheels imo. I have the 180 coming with standard wheels.

As for performance despite an existing jag owner on here saying to the contary the only test I have seen of actual performance did show it to be slower than claimed (180) which dissapointing me as my current car was already considerably faster than the claimed 180 performance. I have got used to bmws conservative figures which are always beaten when tested.

Still you have a fine looking car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nothing wrong with cloth interior, and even in SE trim its still a good looking car.

Not much you can do on performance if you have to select from a set company car list (unless you get promoted and get more choice!) I opted out of our company car scheme as the car choice was too restrictive. Just remind yourself what other choices you had from your list, and why your chose your XE over the other cars you could have had.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Given the self mentioned tight budget I think you've made good choices as it looks great!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks great. As a company car driver myself I was also on a set allowance but managed to get a 163 Prestige with Bi Xenon Lights and Meridian system. I do like your car with the privacy glass so good choice there.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
jpkrmarshall said:
So for a long time now i've been hooked on this forum and dare i say with a certain amount of envy and frustration watching as so many lucky folk spec out their XE to the brim. Well whilst my company was nice enough to give me an XE as a company car they limited it to a 163 manual SE (yes not even Prestige). They did allow me metallic paint so i went for Ultimate Black and just about enough extra to allow privacy glass and nothing more. So it's been driving me crazy for months now trying to find actual pictures of the SE spec i.e. the Jet Cloth interior and Gloss black trim.
Finally it was delivered today !!!!!!! First impressions are great s many others have said. In all honesty i was over the moon style wise. From the outside you wouldn't be able to tell the SE apart from the Prestige (163 has no tail pipe though compared to 180). Have to say the Ultimate Black is outstanding in the flesh and the stock 17 inch alloys didn't look as small in reality as i'd feared. On the inside as long as you can get over the cloth interior it still has style and comfort etc. I must say however i was somewhat underwhelmed by the 163 performance however and following my previous post about acceleration can confirm that i doubt very much if the published times for the 163 are achievable. (Though i have been testing the ECO mode more today so more testing in DYNAMIC i think!)
I'm in the same boat as you. I also have a 163BHP SE coming (on Monday Whoop Whoop) but unlike you have no extras on it at all. Its going to be a bog standard one but the way i look at it is i could have had a fully loaded Insignia 140BHP or this so with that in mind I think I've made the right choice :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
One thing i meant to ask is have you received upgraded seats? There was talk earlier in the forums about some people being given upgraded seats as there has been some issues with the manual ones? I've checked on Topix and for my car is says

DRV/PASS ELECT FRT SEAT ADJ DRVR PWER FORE/AFT/HEIGHT/TILT

I'm just not sure of these are the standard SE seats or upgraded?? The default for the SE is Cloth seats with 8 x 8 way manually adjustable front seats with electric recline so just not sure???

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks great to me! For pretty much everyone car choices are all about compromise, cost v quality v form v function
Unfortunately as company car drivers we have the tax man in the mix too.

I am lucky enough to be able to select whatever XE model and options I could afford, but I still went with the 163 engine. Saving a little on that and the tax bill met a bit extra in my pocket for trim and options. I am coming from a much larger car with a 140bhp diesel so for me the power shouldn't be an issue....it's all relative ;)

Also on paper the 163 is I think only 0.3s slower than the 180 to 60mph.... I guess the 180 willl have more pull at higher speeds, but overall I doubt I will be disappointed :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I also have a 163BHP SE coming (on Monday Whoop Whoop) but unlike you have no extras on it at all. Its going to be a bog standard one but the way i look at it is i could have had a fully loaded Insignia 140BHP or this so with that in mind I think I've made the right choice :)
Exactly my point.

Sure we would all like to max out on the options, model, and spec, but we all have budgets and choices to make.

So think about it more from the point of view of the XE vs the car choices you had, and why you opted to go for the XE over those other cars in the first place. Nothing wrong with a fully loaded Insignia, but I bet if you pull up next to one in a car park you will be more than happy with your decision and have a smile on your face :-bd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all. First of all thanks for all the nice comments. As many have said this is all relative. To put some perspective on it I just got rid of a Hyundai I40 Estate (135) so it may explains some of my comments. I think the main issue here for me is that I was expecting (hoping) for a little more of a jump in performance than I think I'm experiencing in reality. But as with any car it'll take a little while before I can get the most out of the set-up. I had the Hyundai for three years after all. But I certainly have NO regrets about what I ordered especially when I see other cars from the list on the road. So back to the main reasons for posting again:

Firstly, 'Wakey' Funny you should mention the seats as it hadn't really registered with me, but you're right. I checked my order and it said "8x8 seats with electric recline", so I certainly expected some manual operation. In reality what I've received is fully electric but the dealer didn't say anything about it so I'm not sure why and I'm certainly not going to complain. Both driver and passenger have two knobs. The front one works the front to back and up and down movement and also raises and lowers the knee support (or perhaps tilts?). The back knob reclines the back.

Secondly, I had the joy of a 280 mile round trip for work yesterday. So on the way there I purposefully went along the most main road route I could find in ECO mode and driving fairly conservatively (though it did include some city traffic as well for a while). I averaged 65 MPG and I was very 'pleased' with the performance and again I'm sure that MPG will improve once I get more familiar with the setup. On the way back I purposefully went across the highlands of the Cairngorms National Park in DYNAMIC and NORMAL modes. I still averaged 52 MPG but as you can imagine a completely different experience. I'm no rally driver and thankfully didn't kill myself but I was certainly in a position to push a car more than I have ever before. It gripped the road fantastically and was a pure joy to drive even in damp conditions. So I think this is the key to the XE supremacy. It does exactly what it says on two different tins. The car is able to adapt to whatever you want it to be! So here are my comments so far:

- Absolute joy to drive in both conservative and exhilarating styles
- In truth I didn't find as much difference between DYNAMIC and NORMAL as I did between NORMAL and ECO. But perhaps that will depend on the setup and engine.
- The 163 struggles a bit at higher revs and growls a bit at lower revs (there's a slightly annoying vibration in the gear stick at low revs)
- The infotainment system, both sat nav and media has issues. I'm going to have to raise another thread about this as it really lets the side down.
- If I ever see the lorry again that kicked up the stone that chipped the paint on by bonnet and chipped by windscreen (ironically on the first leg of my trip) there will be hell to pay.

Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Regarding performance on 163. I find a big difference between eco & dynamic modes. Dynamic feels pretty good to me and eco has amazing low fuel consumption.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks lovely!

Yes, it would be great to have an unlimited budget, I managed a 180 diesel with not many extras, but as people have said, it still looks glorious, and drives fantastically (so I'm told - we've had ours for around 36 hours, and my wife's had it most of the time!)

I too was pleasantly surprised at how OK the standard wheels look. Enjoy!

Malcolm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts