Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at prestige xe car had 10 way electric seats but manual adjustment for steering wheel.
If electric 10 way seats were specified surely electroc adjustment for steering wheel could be included.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's my view. The 75% aluminium construction is EXPENSIVE. It saves weight to allow the fitting of a complex suspension from the class above. That suspension is also more expensive. The car is expensive to make.

This makes the XE a bargain at anything below £30,000, even with manual seat adjustment, IMHO.

The gamble that Jaguar are taking is that buyers are sufficiently interested in those unique mechanical features as opposed to electric everything. There's no right or wrong answer -- it's consumer choice. If JLR have got it wrong, they'll lose money because not enough people will buy at a high enough price to recoup the millions spent in development.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Options are options. Not sure I'd assume that motors in seats equal motors in the dash.

As for aluminium construction others use lightweight materials as well. Agreed the chassis is no doubt fantastic but they need to think about the entire package. The car needs to be an all rounder if it's to lead an entire class and electric seats that are offered standard everywhere else have become the norm. Start adding in all the required options and then compare to alternatives and it might not stand up quite as well.

Personally think the spec is ok by the way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think manufacturers tend to hold back on standard features a little on a new model to give them some options if sales start to dwindle, i.e. offer a few more options for free.

But with Jaguar reporting around 25,000 XEs sold so far I'm not sure they'll see the need just yet!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Must admit that I was surprised about the Wheel too - and that you can't add it as an individual option and instead have to take a very expensive pack that I don't want.

Still it's not the end of the world - I will adjust it after each valet and when i first buy the car...and thats it. So not a huge pain in the backside :) For the money this car is still excellent value - it's class leading in terms of standard equipment by a HUGE margin. You are looking at £7-8k more for an equivalently specified 3 series, so I can cope with a manual wheel :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Spud do you really believe there is 7-8k difference to spec a 3 series to same as XE?

Have you made any allowance for what the 3 series has and the XE doesn't?

If it's all a one way street then either the 3 series is selling at a massive mark up or the XE is sold at a loss.

The face lifted 3 series has additional standard fit items which may narrow the margin.

When I made my comparisons from my company car list they were very similar. The XE actually £1500 more expensive. Although I only compared items I actually wanted and not everything on the car as there is no value in something I don't want.

The jag 'won' on looks and I guess novelty factor to make my decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've specced a few up and yes, that is the approximate difference, if you compare as like for like as possible. I was looking at the pre-facelift, but its similar (but lower) for the new one. My original figure was driven by walking into BMW, showing them an XE R-sport spec and asking them to match or beat it on a 3 series. They couldn't and were £8k apart on their price...but that was on the diesel.

Looking again for example, I would compare a 320i M-Sport with Sports Auto against a standard XE R-Sport 200ps auto petrol. Immediately there is a £1500 difference in price. The BMW is already at a disadvantage as the engine is only 185PS/184HP, and the leather included is inferior to the Jags. We'll ignore that though for the time being, but its £1200 to add in equivalent soft grain leather :)

Then you start looking at the standard spec - so we need to add to the BMW:

Professional Media - £900
Voice Control - £300
Front heated Seats - £325
Electric Seats (the BMW includes memory, but cant order without) - £945
Armrest - £140
Xenons - £710
Lane Departure - £440
Speed Limit Display - £220

That's just to get it to standard! That comes to £35k on the BMW, and £36.2k if you count the fact the Jag has uprated leather. I couldn't find anything that is standard on the BMW that isn't already standard on the XE, but I may have missed something :)

So things have improved a little with the facelift as you suggested, but that's still a £5k gap between the two, if you allow the small differences in spec to account for the difference in the engine and leather. Obviously you might not care about all of the above features, but when they are included on the XE but options on the BMW, it does paint a stark picture.

Yes there are bigger discounts to be had on the 3 series (up to 10% on the facelift, 18% on the old) vs the 8% that we can get on an XE, but the Jag finance rates are also lower and GFVs slightly better which effectively negates that if you are buying on a PCP.

I tried to give BMW my money but they couldn't come close :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Fair play. I actually compared diesels as all that's on my car list and no issues with power there.

Professional media is standard on the 3 series and the idrive system overall is ahead of the XE's and of course it's 4g with a wider range of apps available. Run flat tyres (which I don't like but they are a cost that's included), fog lights and adaptive headlights not sure if they are on the XE and an exhaust with a finish on it

Wouldn't of added the other items you listed (myself) other than electric seats (which are not standard on XE r sport diesel btw)

As for not caring about something being included that I don't want. I'd rather it wasn't fitted and that the money was spent on better components I do want but that's a pipe dream

·
Registered
120 Posts
Only business media is standard - pro media (which even then is lacking compared to jags, and is required for things like lane departure) is extra. I agree that the iDrive controller is great and I prefer that over touch - but the iDrive UI is very outdated now and certainly isn't as feature rich. I currently drive an M135i so am well used to it :)

Run flats can be swapped for proper tyres at no additional cost, adaptive headlights are another extra on the 3 series too. Electric seats are standard on all the XE's aren't they? Its not fully electric, but the recline/basic adjustments are according to the website.

BMW do have special editions that can change this though, and you get more kit on say a 328i as standard (for a hefty increase in list price), but if you go for an R-Sport, the BMW Is always more expensive. Completely agree on your last point about the options too - I don't care about things like voice control or lane departure for example, but unless you spec them on the BM its not a fair comparison :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
List I'm looking at they are standard adaptive and professional on the bm.

Currently have 535d msport fully loaded so am also very used to it.

Xes posted a note that it's manual seats......

Edit what are you going to do whilst waiting for the xe to hit 60?
I've driven an m135

Edit 2 Best I can find online is manual seats with electric recline on R Sport. better than fully manual I suppose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts