Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disregarding prefences for the different driving characteristics of the 2 units, I believe that popular wisdom is that a low mileage owner is advised to have petrol rather than diesel because the running costs will be less.
However,I've calculated that for me, doing approx. 8k miles p.a., the petrol 240 RSport would cost approx. £750 more p.a. to run, taking into account fuel, road tax, and servicing costs.
The purchase price of the 180 diesel RSport is £1700 more, but this would be wiped out after less than 2.5 years by the diesel's cheaper running costs.
Food for thought? :-?

Also, those reports recently about the dangers of nitrogen dioxide deposits in diesel fumes are much less of a concern with a Euro6 qualifying engine, which the Ingenium is.

But I think I'd still prefer petrol 8-|

·
Registered
425 Posts
I guess that you have taken Jaguar's figures for MPG in your calculations. Hmm... apparently 98% of cars cannot match their mpg claim!
Anyhow to give you a little more confidence in your final conclusion read this:

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driver-tools/petrol-vs-diesel/choosing-between-petrol-and-diesel/

They haven't yet finally tested the XE but I'm sure they will in the coming months.

An unknown with the diesel engine, that you can't factor in, is how often the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) will clog and possibly need Dealer regeneration, which can be an expensive operation.

When you take delivery of your XE you could help assess whether you've made the correct decision by making an entry here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/jaguar/xe-2015

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just a little something ive heard the eu is trying to screw diesels down theres a tax inc on fuel and road tax for sure in the next few years but theres a rumour they are trying to limit use for diesels to high commuters ( delivery drivers), the industry and agricultural ie ban all diesels that they told us to buy years ago cause its good for the environment

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same dilemma in November as I also do 8K a year. In the end I chose the petrol engine purely because I think the servicing of the diesel might be a tad more expensive especially after 5yrs and there is a lot of talk about taxing these more.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not sure about your reasoning there. Taking your 8K into account
All Diesels 5 year plan £475
GTDi Petrol 3 year plan £475
V6 Petrol 3 year plan £659
So after 3 years the petrol engine services are a 'free for all'. Who knows what the cost will be for the next 2 years?

Knowing how fast the EU passes legislation I wouldn't bet that tax will go up any time yet!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the impression my dealer said that the servicing was £659 for 5 yrs. Having had many diesels In the past and still now I also take those 60-70mpg figures are not in real world. I am pretty sure that the PS 180 in town will be more around mid 40's which is why I went for the petrol in the end. Don't get get me wrong of course there is a substantial amount more on the price and the tax per year but for someone that does very little milage per year I just thought the petrol would be better for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like many dilemmas in life, the rational pros and cons can point you in one direction, but very often, your 'heart' will overrule reason and take you in the opposite direction.
As my current car is only fourteen months old, and is a perfectly good car, the logical thing for me to do is to wait the eighteen months or so to see what the figures for the Ingenium petrol engines will be, but I'm not confident that I have the self-control required for that!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know what just you mean; "heart' will overrule reason'.
But, lets be honest you're not helping your will power by reading all the positive comments on this forum.
Go on, give in - place your order; as I think you've mentioned before the Ford engine is tried and tested.
Only joking, but not as subtle as some of your other postings.
Incidentally, what car do you currently drive?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XES Owner said:
...But, lets be honest you're not helping your will power by reading all the positive comments on this forum....
Yes XES, I think I must be a touch masochistic.
As for my current car, it's a very sensible Honda CRZ ; - 50mpg, a virtuous hybrid , a great manual 'box ,ultra reliable, and good fun despite the modest power. My only reservations about it are the level of road noise, and the fact that I have a dodgy left knee which suffers in stop/start situations sometimes. So, perhaps I could get an Auto Jag again on medical grounds ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
With me driving 30 around town and 45-50 on a run at a guess.

Current non eco diesel lifetime average is 30.8

Lowest between resets on trip was 14 but that was round Nordschleife.
Average 20 in london 46 on motorways but it's a serious cruiser 2000 rpm for 100mph

As for euro 6 some diesels achieved it in 2012

·
Registered
799 Posts
A 10 mile commute taking over an hour cripples mpg. Coupled with a heavy right foot on any journey outside of rush hour I've never got anywhere near other people's stats. I think combined on mine was around 40 but never actually checked against a site.
Smile more than makes up for visits go petrol station.

Got an average of 51mpg in my hire car. AVENSIS 2.0D. only fun in it is to try for high mpg reading. Seriously it's the most fun possible in it. Only driven 440 miles in it and had it for 10 weeks but with my own car on driveway it's not hard to decide which to take.

Followed that link it took me to your thread about model car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks got it now. Gives real world of 34.6. So closer than I thought although majority of miles have been motorway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts