Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XE Portfolio
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed full set of 19" Dunlop tyres for Pirelli Powergy tyres have only covered 300 miles on new tyres but so far have found them to be very good road holding and less road noise than the Dunlop tyres.
Those came fully fitted 225 -40 Front and 255-35 Rear at total cost of £ 662.00

·
Registered
447 Posts
Pirellis were Factory supplied on my 19-inch Venoms. I liked them They handled great with almost no road noise but longevity was the usual Pirelli short-life. When I had to replace them during the pandemic at around 25,000 miles, there were none to be had here in the USA since Pirellis are imported. I swapped to Continental ExtremeContact and have been pleased. Please search using the words "Continental ExtremeContact ' on the Forum for related more in depth thread discussion.

Wishing you a great Pirelli ride!

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
I like the anti-kerbing bands on them
The what?
My nearside rear wheel has picked up two light but long gashes (thank you earth moving trucks barrelling headlong down my country lane!) and anything to mitigate that would be a blessing.

What do these bands do? First thing I've heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Changed full set of 19" Dunlop tyres for Pirelli Powergy tyres have only covered 300 miles on new tyres but so far have found them to be very good road holding and less road noise than the Dunlop tyres.
Those came fully fitted 225 -40 Front and 255-35 Rear at total cost of £ 662.00
That's a good deal. I should look at these next time. Best I could get on 3 19" Dunlops was £523 on my drive (I could not drive because of a flat). I then had to get them balanced properly again at Kwik Fit because his machine was obviously out. :(
It's a wonder what a simple tyre balance can do to high speed happiness!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The what?
My nearside rear wheel has picked up two light but long gashes (thank you earth moving trucks barrelling headlong down my country lane!) and anything to mitigate that would be a blessing.

What do these bands do? First thing I've heard of such a thing.
they are called rim protectors and it's just tyre side wall profile slightly over hangs over the rim. good year eagle f1's got them as well

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine are Pirelli P-Zeros. I like the anti-kerbing bands on them, and they seem OK so far for my quite gentle driving
for quite gentle driving any tyre would do i guess ;)

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
they are called rim protectors and it's just tyre side wall profile slightly over hangs over the rim. good year eagle f1's got them as well

View attachment 12369
Well. You learn something every day! Thank you. Not sure they look beautiful. But then neither do kerbed alloys ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well. You learn something every day! Thank you. Not sure they look beautiful. But then neither do kerbed alloys ;)
true! i would say it's this picture, when looking at them live, they are look much better

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
Tyre noise is an interesting subject. Yesterday we travelled through North Wales on all sorts of road suface, from concrete to a very smooth surface. My tyres are Pirelli, and on concrete very noisy. On the new surfacing N Wales are using, nil noise, or so it seemed. All you could hear was the inside cooling fan running. It was an absolute pleasure to drive on that surface. All tyres make noise and the newer they are the quieter they are.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
I suspect concrete is dreadful for all tyres. The 10 mile section west of Reigate on the M25 is the noisiest surface I know of anywhere. It's uncovered concrete and has not changed in 25+ years. No doubt it is very long wearing but every car I have driven on it, especially those with wide low profile tyres is just too noisy for normal conversation above 70 mph. Road surfaces matter more than tyres in my experience. For noise, at least.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Concrete, when worn is indeed very noisy. It's also difficult to repair because layers of asphalt applied to it (which I recall was done in the past) quite quickly partially peel off, making the surface worse. So the only option is closure of the road and pneumatic drills (jack hammers) to completely remove it so as to start again. I think that's why concrete roads are left so long and so worn before being repaired.

Reactions: PaulTolga
1 - 12 of 12 Posts