Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else had any issue or comments relating to playing music from a USB. I know about having to have the correct format etc. and i'm only using a 64GB flash drive (but only about 33Gb of music) but the system is soooooo slow. My old (2012) Hyundai system worked like a flash in comparison. I've seen some people mention on threads of wanting to have massive hard drives of media so thought i'd raise the issue. The issues i'm having are:
- The system is very slow when looking for music on the flash drive via the USB. It's slow to open and slow to scroll down the list.
- There is no option (from what i can see) to change the 'artist' option to 'Album artist' so if you have compilations on the USB you will have hundreds of artists to scroll though. For this reason i can only really use the 'Folder' option as all my music is sorted by artist-album in folder.
- The folder option does not give the short-cuts to certain letter so you have to scroll manually down the list which takes forever (see above)
- The browse option does not revert to the currently playing location so every time you want to find what you're playing (perhaps to play the next album in sequence) you have to search from scratch again.
- If you select an album it just repeats that album over and over. I can't see any option to either make it stop or roll on to the next album.
- Whilst navigating the media i had hoped for a remote option but the buttons on the steering wheel despite have what looks like UDLR use, don't, which means a lot of looking at the infotainment screen which is not good when driving.

So i know that this is just one small aspect but when the rest of the car is so good it's just a shame that this feature seems to be very lagging. I guess i could just cut down a lot on the amount of music on the drive but that shouldn't really be necessary on a car like this.
I have not had any time to play music from my phone either via BT or USB yet so can't comment if that is different. Likewise i'm not sure if the Incontrol APPS music feature changes things at all so i'd be grateful for any comments on those also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can't comment on memory stick speed yet as I've not tried it. But I was really impressed by both Bluetooth streaming and cabled streaming from my iPhone 6. I've been happily listening to Spotify which works great.

Shame it's not one of the apps you can have on Incontrol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with all of that. The music folder system on USB is a waste of time. Given up looking for what I want due to having various "various" albums. Connecting iphone with cable is better layout but shouldne need to do this. Anyone worked out any of these gremlins?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is very disappointing to read, I'm very big on music in my car, I have spent a lot of money in the past converting audio systems to accept USB. I've sad to hear in 2015 this system is "slow" my first USB system was a simple sony head unit where the stick plugged in direct and the speed was easily fast.

I feel its Jaguars desire not to have a "scroll wheel" in the dash that is a big hold back? with a wheel like an iDrive or Mercedes or Audi this could have been done very easily? - the touch screen approach is just not geared up for many pages of scrolling.. Looks like an update is needed fast!

thinking i might have to get an android and leave it in the car as my music storage device and as a bluetooth option?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a much bigger portable hard drive in my current car then absolutely necessary. I'd say my whole collection only just exceeds about 60gb but that will increase if I use lossless WMA in the Jag,

the issue I believe here wil be the number of folders and files that are scanned and when they are scanned. My car has a common VAG unit, and RNS-510. There is a short time from cold start that it takes to scan the device and load the map data too, it it usually wakes up in 30-40 seconds I would say and then you are good to go. it does have a limit on folder and file numbers though, most likely to stop people moaning about it being slow. I always browse by folders, there isn't another option and there is a scroll bar on the touch screen that can sometimes be a little laborious, but it remembers what was last playing even after unplugging the hdd and adding other stuff to it, and goes from folder to folder automatically.

......I remember when these unit first came out and others complaining about slowness but software updates improved things. I can only hope that Jag won't take too long with a software update......it's actually Bosch isn't it? I wonder if they are getting customer feedback directly?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I haven't played extensively with the USB option yet although I have a USB stick with around 40GB of music on it plugged in. All I want is a decent "Play All/Shuffle" option then it just becomes like a radio to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i've managed to cut down my collection to 31GB to get it onto a 32GB flash drive. I'd say that the speed as improved a little(!) but it's still not a patch on the system in my 2012 Hyundai I40 which absolutely amazes me. As someone mentioned the lack of a rotary dial or steering wheel buttons is also difficult for me as i was used to both previously but regardless of that the I40 system was massively quicker even if i just used the touch screen and left the dial and button alone. (Just about instantaneous with 62GB of music!)

I have a lot of compilations on my flashdrive so the main issue for me is that the 'Artist' option is not the 'Album Artist' (and cannot be changed from what i can see) so if i use it i immediately get hundreds and hundreds of Artists to choose from. So this only really leaves me with the 'Folder' option which as mentioned previously is painfully slow and does not allow the A-E shortcuts etc. My flashdrive has a fairly logical folder structure of Artist>Album, so i had hoped to just use the folder option. As it stands i've created a '1Compilations' folder so that i can get to them quickly and the others i just have to grin and bear it. (I've also found that touching the scroll bar rather than the arrows allows you to jump even in 'Folder' mode so after a while you get to know where each folder is roughly.)

But to put it simply, for a car of this standard this should simply not be the case!

Like someone said though things could still be improved a little by a software update (to add the 'Album Artist' option etc.) but does anyone know if Jaguar have a platform to report any such suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 32gb USB drive with about 28gb of music on it. Circa 6000 tracks. I don't find it slow, but agree that browsing through the tracks isn't as easy as it could be. Haven't tried the iPhone yet. Think what I need to do is make some playlists. Anyone know what format it uses? The ones from my Audi don't seem to work.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
jpkrmarshall said:
So i've managed to cut down my collection to 31GB to get it onto a 32GB flash drive. I'd say that the speed as improved a little(!) but it's still not a patch on the system in my 2012 Hyundai I40 which absolutely amazes me. As someone mentioned the lack of a rotary dial or steering wheel buttons is also difficult for me as i was used to both previously but regardless of that the I40 system was massively quicker even if i just used the touch screen and left the dial and button alone. (Just about instantaneous with 62GB of music!)

I have a lot of compilations on my flashdrive so the main issue for me is that the 'Artist' option is not the 'Album Artist' (and cannot be changed from what i can see) so if i use it i immediately get hundreds and hundreds of Artists to choose from. So this only really leaves me with the 'Folder' option which as mentioned previously is painfully slow and does not allow the A-E shortcuts etc. My flashdrive has a fairly logical folder structure of Artist>Album, so i had hoped to just use the folder option. As it stands i've created a '1Compilations' folder so that i can get to them quickly and the others i just have to grin and bear it. (I've also found that touching the scroll bar rather than the arrows allows you to jump even in 'Folder' mode so after a while you get to know where each folder is roughly.)

But to put it simply, for a car of this standard this should simply not be the case!

Like someone said though things could still be improved a little by a software update (to add the 'Album Artist' option etc.) but does anyone know if Jaguar have a platform to report any such suggestions? Thanks
I have the same issue with 85Gb of music in a 128Gb sub stick. I have the same structure of artist names and then all the albums by that artist inside that folder. I'm thinking of adding an additional higher level folder for example A-C and then add all of the A-C artists inside it. This should help the read speed in folder mode

·
Registered
223 Posts
Tonight I transferred about 8gb of music in folders directly copied via Windows explorer Windows (in Windows 10) to a 16gb Sandisk Uktra fit USB flash drive and I have to say the car loaded it fast and I could see artists or albums or just songs. Some of my folder choices need some editing - my fault - but every song I clicked on selected quickly and quality was great. Very impressed by the voice command too - if I could only remember the name of songs or artists when thinking if a song :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using 128 Gb ssd drive and it works fast. I have about 60 Gb of music on it and it's just folders in root directory. I can browse folders, artists, etc. But for choose the right folder I should list all from the beginning. So the problem may be in the flash drive and the folders structure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AcidFire77 said:
I'm using 128 Gb ssd drive and it works fast. I have about 60 Gb of music on it and it's just folders in root directory. I can browse folders, artists, etc. But for choose the right folder I should list all from the beginning. So the problem may be in the flash drive and the folders structure.
I tried a 128 Gb ssd drive formatted to fat 32 and my XE couldn't find any music files. So I gave up with the ssd and used a 64 Gb stick successfully.

·
Registered
118 Posts
chazmatt said:
AcidFire77 said:
I tried a 128 Gb ssd drive formatted to fat 32 and my XE couldn't find any music files. So I gave up with the ssd and used a 64 Gb stick successfully.
I should think the USB port only provides 150 mA - enough to power a USB stick but not enough for an SSD. Devices have to request a higher power output and I bet Jag's only set this up for mobile phones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
benweston said:
chazmatt said:
AcidFire77 said:
I should think the USB port only provides 150 mA - enough to power a USB stick but not enough for an SSD. Devices have to request a higher power output and I bet Jag's only set this up for mobile phones.
I used a 128GB USB stick in a 16MY car with 80GB of music on it and the performance was awful. Have used the same USB stick in my 17MY car but it only has 40GB on music on so havent been able to compare just yet

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gary said:
I used a 128GB USB stick in a 16MY car with 80GB of music on it and the performance was awful. Have used the same USB stick in my 17MY car but it only has 40GB on music on so havent been able to compare just yet
Hi Gary. What USB stick was it? Lots of the cheaper stuff on the market is painfully slow. The Corsair Voyager I'm using is very quick in the XE and I have 100GB+ music on there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
benweston said:
Gary said:
Hi Gary. What USB stick was it? Lots of the cheaper stuff on the market is painfully slow. The Corsair Voyager I'm using is very quick in the XE and I have 100GB+ music on there.
Sandisk ultra fit

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

Looks like the read speed is quite average from the tests I've just seen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts