Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I went for a test drive of the 180 diesel auto this weekend and I was extremely impressed, so much so that I am seriously considering a private purchase. I do have a number of questions I was hoping to get some help with though (I hope this doesn't become War and Peace - I'll try to be succinct!).

- My biggest concerns is getting an 'early' car, with production issues. I appreciate this is a brand new everything for Jag (car, factory, staff and all), so it is understandable that there may be some early quality problems, indeed I have seen a few moans, albeit mostly minor, on these forums. If I order in the next week I would be looking at a delivery in October some time (I was told, but wouldn't be surprised if it was later, reading these forums) - in people's experience, should this be long enough to not get an 'early' car? Probably a hard one to answer, but thought I would ask anyway :D

- The above kinda feeds into my next point; if I am getting an early-ish car, I want to make sure I have a great dealer so I can get any problems sorted easily. My local dealer is Marshalls in Cambridge; does anyone have any experience with them? They did seem very friendly and helpful in the Jaguar dealership, however I have heard poor things about Marshalls in general and wanted to see if anyone had used them? If the feedback is poor, are there any better ones that aren't too far from Cambridge?

- What are people's experiences haggling with Jag dealers? I have read that discounts aren't generally that forthcoming, but as this is a private purchase I want to make sure I get maximum value! Does anyone have any tips on thoughts or getting a good deal from a Jag dealership?

- Last but not least, are there any 'must have' options on this car that have a big impact on final re-sale? I suspect not, but thought it prudent to check :)

FYI, this is the kind of spec I am looking at (it has gone a little over budget, so I need to either get a better deal or prune back some of the options a little, but it should be close to my final spec):

http://goo.gl/2Lr29s

Thanks for any help folks, really appreciate it!

I look forward to (hopefully) joining the club!

Ric

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Understandable concerns - I think we all have the same ones. But you could equally argue that early cars have to be good to avoid long-term damage to the marque so perhaps they'll take extra care. I've been told that 3/10 cars go back for extra QA checks on a random basis. That says they want to get these cars right.

As for the haggling, I got a roughly 8% discount and I'm not a good buyer.

Resale is about a car that isn't so personal that no-one else would like it. Your spec looks good so shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well Marshalls of Cambridge was my local dealer and I did not buy from them. They would not give a penny discount when I was ready to order. Not sure if that would still be the case now that the initial burst of orders have gone through.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As above, understandable concerns..however having bought new models myself in the first manufacturing year, i've not had any serious issues and I would expect the same here. Dealership wise I would be more cautious and as you are doing, try to solicit some first hand experiences. I found with BMW that Williams Manchester were awful, and that to get the best deal/service I went all the way to Tunbridge Wells for my car..so keep in mind that it doesn't need to be a local dealer either. If you have problems with a given dealer go straight to Jaguar UK - they have an image to maintain and will jump all over problems very quickly to get them sorted out.

Haggling wise we're in a bit of a sticky situation as the demand is so strong - even Jag UK have cut their contribution this month and thats largely expected to be due to the fact they can't build them fast enough, so can afford to do it. Even with that drop though you should get a minimum of 5% off list (including options), and more likely 8%. If you have a trade in that will help as a good dealer will use that to squeeze some more discount by giving a better trade in price

In terms of resale, as Halojones says its all about not making it too personal. This means that generally you want to stay away from bright interiors or "odd" things for this segment like the leather coverings or wood on the interior. Yes this is a Jag but one that is heavily marketed at the younger crowd (under 40), so thats likely to be your resale market. Remember that you will never get your money back on options either, so although things like Meridian and Memory seats will help you sell it quicker, it won't get you any extra money. Most of the "essential" options are standard on r-sport and above, so you are pretty safe to be honest.

Engine wise the Diesels will likely sell better come resale time, purely because of the current Ford Petrol engine - but then you sacrifice a lot by going the diesel route (and it costs you a boatload more up front!) so my decision on engine would be mostly down to my mileage - less than 15k/year and the diesel is a waste of money, more than 15k and its a consideration, more than 20k and its a must.

One other thing that affects this whole discussion though is how you finance it and what your plans are. Personally, I am taking a PCP route and will trade it in 3-4 years, so I don't really care too much about resaleability. I've specified the car 100% to my taste (which happens to be black on black anyway, but hey) as I don't need to worry about it. If I was buying cash/straight finance though I would think a little differently.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback - some good points in there! I think some of my concerns have been assuaged, so provided I can get the car I want for (close to) my budget, I have decided to make the leap - pun intended! I just dropped Marshalls of Cambridge a call (they gave me the test drive, so I thought I would give them first option at doing me a deal), sent them my spec and my budget; they said they thought they could help and would get back to me. So they are willing to discuss a discount, quite how much I am not sure yet. I'll post back my success / failure in here later, in case it is useful for anyone else.

Thanks again fellas.
Ric

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Ric,
HaloJones & Spud has given you a good comprehensive response and I would just add on the money side that with Jaguar HP/PCP you get immediate £1900 discount. Prior to July this was £2.5k, of which £700 was Jag financed and the rest dealer financed. Unsure if reduction is less from Jag or from dealer but latter will probably claim it's their entire margin as a preamble to negotiations. If you are paying cash I suggest that you should be looking for an equivalent discount as a bottom line starting point and then some more, either as a cash discount or part cash and part add-ons eg 3/5 year servicing pack; Lifeshine paint protection; Gap Insurance. Also worth quoting on-line prices eg Autoebid for leverage.

Good Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd echo what others have said - definitely try multiple dealers. I wasn't impressed with Marshalls of Cambridge when looking at an XF a while back. Tried another dealer who did a great job, even bringing the 180 diesel to my office for a test drive at lunchtime (recommended as it meant I test drove a fair chunk of my daily commute) but then didn't offer any discount at all (beyond the jaguar £738), despite me pointing out that it was ridiculous to expect me to pay a higher price than that quoted on the jag website. Then another dealer I just dropped in on one lunchtime offered me a near 10% discount, with hardly any effort on my part. Guess which dealer I went with!

Paul
p.s. I'm South of Cambridge if you're looking for other dealers in the area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all of the help guys - I shall stick to my guns and try get a deal! I've been hopping on a few online sites as suggested (like autoebid and carwow) to get myself some price ammo. @Paul would you mind telling me which dealer you purchased from in the end, was it Grange? It sounds like I should go and speak to them.

Cheers gents

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi richarda - I am in your neck of the woods and didn't get any decent discount from Marshall I did try Grange and they are very helpful but I couldn't get a deal from them... I used carwow and Sidcup came up as the cheapest and the sales guy (Chris) was the cheapest I found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.