Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping someone can help with some advise. I have been fitting new disc's and pads to my 65 plate XE 2ltr diesel and have a problem with the rear brake piston. Having what I thought in disabling the electronic park brake was able to remove the calipers carrier and disc. However when looking to refit the caliper the was not enough room to fit the new pads over the disc. I realised the electronic Brake had not been disabled. The problem I have now is trying to disable the electronic brake has resulted in the piston fully extending.
I then tried disconnecting the connection to the caliper isolating it from the ECU system hoping that would allow me to retract the piston manually but no joy
Tire Automotive tire Light Blue Vehicle brake

If any have some advise on what to do I would be most grateful Thank you

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thinking back to when I last did the brakes on my previous cars, which did not have electronic brakes like the Jag, I can remember having a special tool to wind back the piston. The only problem I had was deciding which way to turn the piston. I just wonder if you need to do the same thing with these brakes. However, I'm certain someone on the forum has done this before and will be able to help. YouTube is also a good place to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking back to when I last did the brakes on my previous cars, which did not have electronic brakes like the Jag, I can remember having a special tool to wind back the piston. The only problem I had was deciding which way to turn the piston. I just wonder if you need to do the same thing with these brakes. However, I'm certain someone on the forum has done this before and will be able to help. YouTube is also a good place to check.
thank you and know what you mean, had that on my previous X300 XJ these don't appear to wind although I must admit I didn't want to force anything.

·
Registered
273 Posts
mine did wind back on 2017 model. did you actually put brakes in service mode?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine did wind back on 2017 model. did you actually put brakes in service mode?
That's where I think I got confused there wasn't any Brake indicator on the dash thinking it was in maintenance mode. I did try several times before removing the calipers but never got the "park in Maintenace Mode" Message Although I have now found the little nugget of information on You Tube

·
Registered
273 Posts
what scanner?

there is simple procedure for it:

Turn ignition on first.

Hold EPB switch in "off" position and floor the accelerator for two seconds at the same time

Still holding both in the same position, toggle ignition off then on in quick succession - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.

Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position.

used this procedure and works - might not get it first time, but you will in the end. and I've wind back pistons as usual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a bit of a knack to getting it into maintenance mode ime but you do need to do this before you can wind the piston back in. I would clamp it first so it can't wind any further our beforehand in case it winds all the way out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what scanner?

there is simple procedure for it:

Turn ignition on first.

Hold EPB switch in "off" position and floor the accelerator for two seconds at the same time

Still holding both in the same position, toggle ignition off then on in quick succession - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.

Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position.

used this procedure and works - might not get it first time, but you will in the end. and I've wind back pistons as usual.
Tried that a few times and didn't get the mode in maintenance Mode message which confused me as did the front discs and brakes a week before without any issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a bit of a knack to getting it into maintenance mode ime but you do need to do this before you can wind the piston back in. I would clamp it first so it can't wind any further our beforehand in case it winds all the way out!
I did apply some clams first before trying the Maintenance mode unfortunately for me they did fully wind out and had to manually be re wound back what a pain that was,Thank you KJW

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tried that a few times and didn't get the mode in maintenance Mode message which confused me as did the front discs and brakes a week before without any issues
maintenance mode is for rear brakes due to handbrake engaging every time you switch car off. front hasn't got that 'issue'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts