Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my car, I enquired about the possibility of an upgraded entertainment system that would include rear screens for the children - disappointingly (for me, anyway!) there are no plans for one.

With this in mind, does anyone have any thoughts on options over and above a couple of iPads?

Ta!

·
Registered
664 Posts
That seems the simplest and neatest solution if you ask me and likely more flexible. Pretty sure Jag has ipad holders in their range of accessories

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can buy hard discs with wifi hubs built in, so you could store hundreds of movies that could stream independently to each iPad. The hard disc could be powered by the Usb in the centre console, and MIGHT even act like a usb stick for playing music through the car's stereo system at the same time. (That depends on how the hard disc is formatted and if the car can read it). Still, a very elegant and invisible solution.

And yes, jaguar do iPad holders, although I suspect there are cheaper ones out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! The iPad option seems to be the only real option then...

I looked at the cost of the Jaguar iPad holders and they are ridiculously expensive, and I don't see what would justify that sort of expense compared to a different brand of holder.

@MartinBailey - that's an interesting concept - any ones that you recommend over the others? I suppose there would be apps available that could stream video straight from that wifi source, do you know of any that work well and are child friendly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
One of the product types that'll do this is made by Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

Basically it's a hard disc with a built in battery and wifi router. You connect your devices (up to 3) to it and you can stream using DNLA or Apple AirPlay. Apparently the streaming is handled by a free app for iOS, Android®, Kindle Fire and Windows 8/RT. I know a friend who uses one to stream to an Android tablet without issues. If you stick this in the front console compartment and power it using a 12v to USB converter you would not have to worry about losing the USB that normally powers inControl.

I'm thinking about buying one of these devices, and if I do I'll make a full write up of how to set it up and its performance!

What I like about this idea is that I have a lot of movie files in various formats (AVI, MKV, but not many in Apple-friendly MP4) - I believe that the app will take care of the conversion process, although I'd have to do some more research to be sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan! My car is due mid to end of July, so I'll look at it then...thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I purchased a Seagate Wireless Plus 2GB hard disc for around £160 a couple of days ago and I have to say it works pretty well. I successfully streamed two different videos simultaneously to two different devices. Basically it creates its own wifi network which several devices can then connect to and stream content over it using an app you download. If the supplied app cannot play the file it does prompt you to open other apps - I got it working using the free VLC app for iPhone and iPad.

The only problems I found were:

1. You'd have to plug it into a power-only USB socket in the car if you did not run it on battery (which Seagate claim will last up to 10 hours - I'd say more like six if you are streaming to multiple devices, but that's still pretty good). If it detects it's plugged into something that wants to talk to it (e.g. a PC USB port, and most probably the Jag's InControl socket) the wifi is disabled. I don't see that as a problem, as you can get lighter socket to USB converters, and in any case most drivers will have their phones plugged into it and would therefore want the kids to use an alternative USB power source.

2. Some of my videos would not play due to codec issues. I know that due to Apple restrictions it's more likely that problems will be encountered on iOS devices than Android. If I get time I'll try to test it using my wife's Sony Xperia Z3. I also want to test it on the PS3/PS4 and Chromecast, which I believe it also supports.

3. @TheGuvnor asked if it would be child-friendly. I'd say it depends on the age. Under the age of 7-8 I'd say not, as (at least on iOS) it would prompt me on almost all videos (except mp4) to select an external app to use to play it, and then VLC prompted if I wanted to download or stream. After you finish you then have to close VLC and reopen the Samsung stock app to select something else. So there's a couple of clicks extra than if the movie was actually on the device...

4. I noted that when trying to move to a further point in the film (by dragging across the timeline) this could not always be done. It may be that it had to stream more of the film in the background, but it definitely worked for some of them early on... Might have been the way the films were encoded.

Anyway, I hope that's of use...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's great, thanks! I actually have one of those drives arriving today, so I will also have a play...

I am now looking for something that will allow remote control of an iPad (to VLC?)) from an iPhone so my wife can control and change what is playing on the iPads attached to the rear seats - that would resolve the child-friendly issue nicely!

With the drive, the Bluetooth headphones, two iPads and a remote control app it's all becoming quite a system!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - I have just tried that app but it appears to only let you control VLC that is running on a pc/Mac rather than on an iPad. Bah....never mind, thanks for helping anyway!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ah, bummer - I just saw 'remote' and did not read further. To be honest I was quite surprised there was a remote app and didn't think to check that it was a remote for PC only... Sorry about that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts