Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, need to change my discs/pads all round (only 28K but 7 years old so some decay) and I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for disc/pad manufacturer for the replacements. I have read on this site that the discs fitted by Jaguar as standard may have issues with rust over time. Looking to do the work myself, have changed discs before but not on this model, any tips?

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
Fronts are straightforward but the rears need a bit of messing to release the calipers. Search brake changes as there are some good "how to" posts. Make sure you get the correct discs and pads size. As for makes, the search will throw up all sorts of recommendations.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used Apec discs and Apec Black pads on the front and am very happy with them. Braking performance is improved but my discs were terribly rusty on the insides. Our local Jaguar techs use them on their private jobs as they purchase from the shop I use. Only downside is that they produce more brake dust but I am willing to live with that. It was an easy job but I had to whack the old discs with a lump hammer to free them!
Measure the diameter of the discs before ordering as there are different sizes.
There is another thread showing below with pictures and recommendations.

Reactions: Parki

·
Registered
758 Posts
I used Apec discs and Apec Black pads on the front and am very happy with them. Braking performance is improved but my discs were terribly rusty on the insides. Our local Jaguar techs use them on their private jobs as they purchase from the shop I use. Only downside is that they produce more brake dust but I am willing to live with that. It was an easy job but I had to whack the old discs with a lump hammer to free them!
Measure the diameter of the discs before ordering as there are different sizes.
There is another thread showing below with pictures and recommendations.
Did you mean that your old discs were terribly rusty on the inside (mine are the same after only 17k miles), or have the new Apec discs rusted like this?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I strongly suspect Hillmangt meant the original discs were corroded.

I've posted before that I believe the issue to be with the pads rather than discs. "Cheap" standard pads cleaned the discs up nicely for me.

Reactions: wecpcs

·
Registered
221 Posts
Shortly after I bought my 2017 XE in Jan 2019, and on just over 10k miles, the front discs and pads were replace by the dealer, (a main agent), as I had shuddering on braking. Now on 40k miles and braking is perfect, and, the best bit, very little brake dust is given off, a major plus for me who likes a smart car. Obviously original Jaguar parts, but clearly they aren't made by Jaguar. It'd be nice to know the OEM

·
Registered
594 Posts
My ones was rusted at 18000 mls 5 yrs old, I fitted Zimmermann coated disks and Brembo pads, 1 year latter + 15000mls everything look good and perform as intended. Front are straight forward, for rear you need to put EPB in service mode.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Old discs were corroded badly on the insides. Apec discs are spotless.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Tread

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ebc brakes from Northampton, for both discs and pads, using them since 2013👍

Reactions: Parki and Stephen

·
Registered
MY18 R-Sport 25t
294 Posts
Almost any brand of disc will do and almost certainly last longer than the very poor quality Jaguar parts.
Try and fit a disc that has a coating on it as this will keep them looking better and staying rust free for much longer although this is not a necessity.
Jaguar pads are low (almost zero) dust so if that is a priority use Jag pads again although Black Diamond Predator pads are a high performance pad at a very reasonable cost that are also very low dust.
If low dust is not a priority then almost any brand of pad will do.
Personally I have used Blueprint discs (coated) and Apec pads originally but now gone over to the Predator pads mentioned above.
2 years on and my discs are still looking as good as new, the original Jaguar ones looked just like the ones in the image posted by Hillmangt, shocking !!!

Reactions: bik3rz and Parki

·
Registered
226 Posts
good points RalphieM, ebc discs are all coated, and dust free pads are red stuff pads (high perf pads for street use, they are brilliant)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts