Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here. Bought a 2016 2.0 diesel (163bhp), and it stutters on constant throttle - occasionally - and idles rough on occasion, with rev counter bouncing up n down quite badly. Sometimes it runs completely fine. Local ex-JLR mechanic has done timing chain (it was worn, I saw the evidence) cleaned EGR, forced regen on DPF, changed cam sensor, water temp sensor, and DTM have refurbished all injectors (bloody expensive). Car flies now under vigerous throttle, yet still has this occasional stutter on constant speed or light throttle, and idle. Tearing hair out here as to what the issue is. Having read this forum, it seems pointless taking it to jaguar for diagnostic, as they'll probably charge a days labour and say they cant2 find the issue (no fault codes are coming up). The only thing I can think off is maybe there's wear in throttle body? A dodgy sensor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, newbie here. Bought a 2016 2.0 diesel (163bhp), and it stutters on constant throttle - occasionally - and idles rough on occasion, with rev counter bouncing up n down quite badly. Sometimes it runs completely fine. Local ex-JLR mechanic has done timing chain (it was worn, I saw the evidence) cleaned EGR, forced regen on DPF, changed cam sensor, water temp sensor, and DTM have refurbished all injectors (bloody expensive). Car flies now under vigerous throttle, yet still has this occasional stutter on constant speed or light throttle, and idle. Tearing hair out here as to what the issue is. Having read this forum, it seems pointless taking it to jaguar for diagnostic, as they'll probably charge a days labour and say they cant2 find the issue (no fault codes are coming up). The only thing I can think off is maybe there's wear in throttle body? A dodgy sensor?
sorry, should have said been serviced as well, and done 115k miles

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
Has the fuel filter been changed at all? is there any smell of diesel? Some early cars had a recall
for a fractured fuel pipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, fighterpilot - thanx for reply. Appparently (though I need to check this again) the fuel filter was done at the beginning of this mini-saga. There's no smell of diesel, just the smell of my burning brain cells! Having said that, I'm losing faith in garages in general - so might just go ahead and change that filter anyway. Silly question, is it in engine bay or near fuel tank?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, just seen its in engine bay - big ol piece of kit. Wouldn't detritus in fuel filter, though, cause problems across the whole rev range? As I said, on anything past north of light throttle, the car shifts along nicely and quite smoothly (considering its mileage) - it's just occasionally stuttering when travelling at constant speed on light/partial throttle (say at 60mph on bypass) or idling. It's wierd.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It was just a thought. I wonder if the fuel pump is getting a bit long in the tooth. This is a difficult one as most likely things have been addressed already. Is there an eletrical breakdown to and injector? I think a full dignostic check may be needed to get to the bottom of it, otherwise you may spend money unecessarily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be fair, whilst the garage doing the work is relatively large and well equipped (and the mechanic came from JLR) - I am at that point of thinking it's worth spending the money and taking it to Stratstone here in Newport for a diag. Problem is that after reading quite a lot of these posts I dont detect a lot of faith in JLR dealers, plus its over £200 per hour. However, after spending £1000 on injectors, £200 seems like small change!!!! Am i right in thinking fuel system has to run at around 25,000 PSI? If so, I can imagine a slightly warn pump will struggle

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That's a bit over the top. 6.3 bar or about 91 psi max 4.5 bar is about the norm or about 65 psi.A slightly warm pump is normal.The references I have are part of a massive 150+ section of the manual, much of which is reference to the diagnostics system. Far too much to understand easily without the JLR equipment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, just read what I posted - 25,000PSI - said my head was fried! what i meant was 250psi (which is still way too high it seems, but a more understandable over estimation). Spoke to my local garage and confirmed the filter has been changed. The mechanic has told me his mate (who still works for JLR) is going to be assisting him on Monday, they are going to do a software update (not sure that will make a difference) but he also has a seized 2.0 diesel in the workshop which has loads of bits on it to swap on and try - really fills me with confidence (not). However, one thing of note is that car runs very cold. On motorway, the temperature barely gets a fifth/sixth of the way up the gauge, and although no error codes are showing, the guy has mentioned there could still be a problem with that temp sensor (possibly leading to misfuelling?) or even an open thermostat - so overcooling. Thats the problem, so many potential issues. However, the stuttering also comes with some diesel knock, which t me implies a timing issue. I will post any results, so if anyone else is having similar issues it may help them too

·
Registered
431 Posts
You might need a PCM update. Is your car a manual as well by any chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, its manual, and I just read throughthe thread you quoted - seems like a similar problem, so maybe the software update my ex JLR mechanic mentioned might be good for me too ..... or maybe not, as a further development happened just before I read this. Had a low coolant warning, which is one of the more concerning warnings to get, and lo & behold, it was suddenly low on coolant, and there's a scattering of mayo on the dipstick. So, it could have been a developing head gasket issue all along, or it could be coincidental - guess I'll never know as 1st thing tomorrow I have to arrange for the head gasket to get fixed, and I'll ask them to get the software update done as well. Literally crying about this now, as mixed emotions kick in, these being firstly that this head gasket issue may finally be the reason, and therefore get sorted, but secondly [email protected]%#K!!!! more money wasted. This piece of s&%^t has cost me £3.5k the last three weeks, and now (with no spare cash left - which wasn't really spare in the first place) I now have to stump up for a head gasket. At least it's cheaper with my local garage than Jaguar, been even so, I'm thinking about selling one of my kidneys. Any takers? No? You sure - I'm a non-smoker/drinker? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, this just gets more curious!!!! Checked the car, with the machanic, in daylight, and could see no evidence of mayo in the oil. Now, it could have been a reflection off the dipstick head in my mobile phone light (it was v.dark), or me just being mighty peeved at the loss of coolant mixed with rough running, and getting the wrong idea - i don't know, but it is strange. I was giving the car a DPF run at the time, hoping that would help the running (i.e. 20 mins at higher speed/lower gear - but not ripping the nuts out of it) and reading some other threads here about reservoir cap issues, maybe there is an issue both with the cap and thermostat together causing a blow off of coolant through the cap? Don't know, but the cars in the garage right now, and I'm stuck in a Chrysler Aveo courtesy car rethinking my life's chioces! I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but - I love my XE, but by God it's a difficult car to live with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a bit over the top. 6.3 bar or about 91 psi max 4.5 bar is about the norm or about 65 psi.A slightly warm pump is normal.The references I have are part of a massive 150+ section of the manual, much of which is reference to the diagnostics system. Far too much to understand easily without the JLR equipment.
update - fixed - but only at the cost of new rings and a head rebuild, new coolant pipe from back of head and a whole load of grief!
one more niggle though, exhaust smell (faint) through vents (though car running well now) - however, garage "nipped" up exhaust bolts throughout system - said after the rebuild they may not have correctly tightened some nuts etc. However, whilst smell almost gone now, car is suddenly louder and more "diesely" if you catch my meaning - more of what sounds like diesel rattle and possibly more exhaust noise! looking at other posts, may be the DPF - turbo, but Im losing the will to live with this car. Still drives ok now, even with this issue. Also going in next week to sort what I think is still a thermostat/sensor issue as on motorway temp stays on the blue bar, but warms up in slow traffic round town. |Sometimes it feels like a never ending journey, and even when things are fixed, you just end up being paranoid and looking for issues all the time

+

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agree with you re thermostat. Typical symptom of broken stat. Think sensor would should low all the time. Quick test is to see how fast radiator heats up. It should stay cold until engine reaches operating temp, and then suddenly heat up as stat opens. It it warms up immediately stat is stuck open

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, but the garage doing the work has an ex JLR main dealer mechanic assigned to my car. As it happens they have an evoke (I think) with a blown 2.0 diesel, and he's going to swap the stat housing and sensor over to mine. I'm not happy about getting stitched up with this car. We found out through Stratstone, that my car was owned by Lex Autolease and they sent it to jag to be fixed as a non runner. Jag found the timing belt had snapped, valves impacted pistons etc, as well as shot injectors (which had caused bore wash and snagged the rings) They advised a new engine, but lex took it back, then looks like they got some back steet garage to get it just running and auctioned it off with knackered rings, damaged valves etc. Hate cowboys!]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, when they did this work, they left off the soundproofing panels in engine bay (firewall) . I spent 409 quid replacing those, but it's still noisy in the cabin when stationary on tickover. However, I don't know if that's normal for a 2016 model, and it does glide along quietly when on the go. However, it feels like more engine noise than my father in laws vauxhall insignia ecoboost... that doesn't feel right somehow, but could just be how the XE is :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Have you still got the under bonnet insulation or has someone previously removed it? Have you always driven petrol cars? I find my 2015 (2016MY) very quiet for a diesel and in comparison to some other makes near me you would think it was petrol once warm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, bonnet insulation their as well as the new firewall panels. Yes, always had petrol, and tbf this car is pretty quiet when going, it's just when stopped and iing, inside the cabin you are very aware it's diesel unlike the vauxhall insignia I compared it too, which is quieter on idle. I did see somewhere that jlr added more soundproofing in later model years and also that some consider the ingenium lump a noisy beast in general. My ex jlr mechanic told me ( after the event!) never to buy any jag or land-rover powered by this engine, that even amongst those that work for jlr they consider the 2 litre diesel lump spoils a good car. However, he did go on to day that they are getting on top of the issues, and expects it to be much stronger in the future. Having spent 4.5k getting mine fixed ( at least with some upgraded parts) I have to agree. Strong car, fragile engine. His point is proven by the impressive pile of blown 2.0 diesels in his garage!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts