Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi NevboXE
I would suggest that you shouldn't use "any old SIM card" in case it is damaged. Plus the size of the SIM for the Jaguar card reader is a Mini-SIM.
However, I believe you need a SIM card with a mobile broadband/internet connection plan. Also, of course, for best results you should check that your area of operation is covered by the 3G network.
I attach, for your information, the relevant pages from the XE Handbook describing InControl Wi-Fi:

View attachment Jaguar XE InControl Wi-Fi.pdf

Hope this provides some guidance

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd read the handbook pages and that is what prompted me to ask the question about the SIM card.
So a SIM only mini card looks like it's required for the Wifi to work properly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes that is the only way for the in-car Wi-Fi to work. You could probably use your current phone SIM but you would of course not be able to use your phone as well!
Various providers will supply a suitable SIM at differing costs for varying amounts of downloads, most of which have some sort of download limit. I think the only company offering no limit at the moment is GiffGaff, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
107 Posts
Erm, does it really say "High Speed 3G"? Please tell me that it can use a 4G data plan... ?? Restricting it to 3G would be the stupidest thing ever!

·
Registered
425 Posts
'Plymothian' I guess you read it correctly. I'm not sure that even the new XF can connect to 4g !
I think that the Jaguar Wi-Fi is a gimmick; you're paying for a box to be fitted into the boot wired to an aerial.
I believe that a MiFi device could well be a better bet, able to utilise 4G and 3G. Costing between £60 and £100 (plus usage plan, as with the Jag Wi-Fi), it's small enough to fit in your pocket so you can use it outside the car (and in any other car) and some are able to wirelessly connect up to 10 devices at once. Perhaps a limitation may be the battery life but so as far as I am concerned it's a no brainer! However 3G & 4G is somewhat limited in East Anglia.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When most people have 4G on the phones already, what the hell is the point of a 3G wifi hot spot? I'm really disappointed if it's limited to 3G - connect 2 devices and the bandwidth will grind them both to a halt...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Jaguar may not be up to date with the Wi-Fi, but they are certainly up to date with CD/DVD players. They realise that they are being superseded by USB & SD card devices (only one of each !!!!! ) (sic), so they haven't included a player in the XE.
Just to prove my point, Jaguar are so embarrassed by a CD/DVD player that they don't mention on their New XF website that they have included one in the central dash (see photos). The only hint is in the Interior Option description for the 10.2" Dual View (with front wireless headphones) where it mentions "or DVD".
There clearly is space for a CD player in the XE so I wonder why they missed it out - surely not because of cost? - Embarrassment perhaps!

Just spotted that there is only 3G in the XF, so it's no use upgrading to get a 4G device.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Internet access is only as fast as the slowest connection. So while the connection from a phone to the XE's wifi will be nice and quick, the connection from the 3G device that supplies the wifi will be pretty much rubbish. Connect two devices and you might as well use Royal Mail to send an email...

I was hoping to use the wifi for my wife and son to connect their tablets on long journeys. While they can still do that, 3G is dog-slow. I'd be better off using my mobile as a wireless hotspot and share its 4G connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been searching the Interweb for some more info but drawn a blank...

I actually have a new XF but the wifi thingy is exactly the same.

I was using it with a GiffGaff Sim which worked fine apart from the )2 coverage is garbage so I have also got an Asda Mobile SIM (....don't give me grief its just cheap for Data :) and uses EE).........but it just doesn't work. It works fine in a handset but simply will not register even via the car.

Anyone any ideas?

GT

·
Registered
50 Posts
The connection may only be 3G but it is way better than using a Mi-Fi device. I use the Wi-Fi hotspot to connect a cheap dedicated smartphone to the internet so that I can listen to internet radio via Bluetooth (complicated but it works) and I only get dropout in the deepest valleys. When I used to connect to my 4G smartphone Wi-Fi hotspot I was constantly losing connection. The antenna that is fitted to the Jag Wi-Fi hotspot is obviously pretty good.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You know you've raised an interesting point there.I have noticed on my phone 4g is often less reliable than 3g signals....perhaps this why JLR decided to stay with 3g?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used an O2 data only PAYG sim (90Gb valid for 12 months) and once set up using the control panel it works fine for tablet use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plymothian said:
I was hoping to use the wifi for my wife and son to connect their tablets on long journeys. While they can still do that, 3G is dog-slow. I'd be better off using my mobile as a wireless hotspot and share its 4G connection.
If you bolt it to the roof maybe...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Coming in (very) late on this one .... Firstly, is there anyone who listens to talking books, secondly, are they obtained from Audible (an Amazon offshoot), and thirdly, if so, how the hell do you listen to them without a CD player. Although my car has a CD player, it is no longer possible to write these audio book files to anything other than an MP3 player (or various i-products, which I avoid like the plague). The only way I can play them is via the Aux In socket which means that I have to remember to shut down the MP3 player before shutting the car down - the car won't read the MP3 player files via the USB socket as they are copy protected (DRM) which is possibly due to my car having an internal memory to which audio files can be written, and this is interpreted by the DRM system as copying the files (even though I don't wan't to save them to the internal memory. If anyone has any ideas (other than you shouldn't have bought a BMW), I'd be pleased to hear them, as my patience is running a bit thin. I must say that I am more than a little pissed off with Audible for flogging me content that I can't just plug into the USB socket....

By the way, the SOS system fault I had on the new car was due to the dedicated battery failing... like I said, you can't trust these German cars (even though the satnav and HUD are superb) !!

Ian

·
Registered
102 Posts
I listen to Audible books via the Audible app on my iPhone which is connected via Bluetooth, just select Bluetooth audio. Most smart phones should have an audible app available

·
Registered
505 Posts
Trevor,

Thanks for that - I did wonder about the marvels of Bluetooth but haven't tried it yet, although I'm Android based. I will try it now but, can you still use the phone OK ?

Ian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, playback stops when call comes in and restarts when when you end - had a run up to Scotland at the weekend so used all that functionality :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts