Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I included the option of a spare wheel in my spec having been assured by the dealer that there is a home for it in the car, out of the way. However, I have just read a review of the car which mentioned that Jag had saved space in the car by putting the battery where the spare wheel would normally go, the implication being that the spare wheel would be chucked in the boot (possibly with some sort of fastening to prevent it trying to make its way into the cabin in the event of an impact - not a pleasant thought).

Also, if this is the case, I'd be left with the option of leaving either my wife's luggage at home, or the spare wheel in the garage (possibly without even a Jaguar repair kit to fall back on), I'd be very grateful if anyone who has taken possession of their car with a spare wheel could enlighten me on the true situation.

Where would I be without this forum - in the hands of the dealer......

Ian

·
Registered
799 Posts
Battery in the boot is to help 50 50 weight distribution. Has been on bmws since the e36 on 6cyl models as the engine is heavier than the 4cyl.

Aluminium body and engine up front means weight is needed at back. My 5 series wuth it's heavy iron block is aluminium up front steel plus battery at back. Battery under rear seats in mine.

Spare wheel well will be deep so battery goes under spare wheel. 3 series used to have batteries to one side of boot against wings so spare wheel well was empty.

Found a pic wheel sits on top where the bolt is and plastic cap on top supports floor of boot liner Motor vehicle Toy Automotive exterior Automotive tire Trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Battery is indeed in the boot. Also, if you add the space saver as an option it is £150.00 but I was told by the Jaguar dealer that if you order as an after thought (post delivery) it is approx. £600.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The narrow spare wheel normally a 135 tyre. Max speed 55mph that's norm on other cars.

I'd rather do a repair to save changing the wheel to the space saver and carrying the full size wheel in the boot.

Call a mobile repair and have it fixed at home.

·
Registered
471 Posts
tobes said:
The narrow spare wheel normally a 135 tyre. Max speed 55mph that's norm on other cars.

I'd rather do a repair to save changing the wheel to the space saver and carrying the full size wheel in the boot.

I agree with the sentiment but I'll confess possible ignorance in that I've opted for space saver wheel on the basis that it covers all eventualities, whereas repair kit will not deal with sidewall damage; is this a false premise?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bluefire65 said:
tobes said:

I agree with the sentiment but I'll confess possible ignorance in that I've opted for space saver wheel on the basis that it covers all eventualities, whereas repair kit will not deal with sidewall damage; is this a false premise?
No you are right a repair kit wont deal with sidewall, although ive had one go before and as the car dropped so low I couldn't get a jack under the car anyway so had to be recovered. But space saver will cover more eventualities than the repair kit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information so far. There was space saver in my X Type which I had to use once - and a right pain it was running at 50 mph for 80 miles on the M1 and M42 to get home, but at least it did get me home. I can't remember where the battery was but can vaguely recall that it was up front.

My Series 1 BMW, with runflats, has the battery in the boot and, together with its electronics takes up a fair bit of room - certainly no space for a spare of any description . The runflats are only good for a nominal 50 miles or so although I guess with care and slow speed driving you could manage a bit more than that in extremis.

The optional spare is £150 factory fitted and, from memory, £330 or thereabouts as an after market fit. I asked the dealer why the difference and he said that dealer fitting costs, although I imagine part of the difference is the reduction in cost of having no Jaguar repair kit supplied with a factory fit spare. Regarding weight distribution, I have recently seen a report suggesting that as well as having the battery in the boot, the XEs boot lid is steel, to get as much weight at the back as possible - seems odd but that's what was reported.

My worry about the repair kit arises from odd negative reports - wrecks what could a repairable tyre and makes a (clean-up-able) mess of the wheel. Given that most punctures are considered unrepairable unless they are in the crown of the tread, this of itself is OK except that, like runflats, there seems to be the view that repair kit useage limits the driving distance to 50 miles or so. It is possible that the modern repair techniques (which the Jaguar system seems to be, involving a compressor and sealant) don't suffer from these limitations.

I rather like the idea of being able to get the car home under its own steam, even if it involves changing a wheel, but I can see the attractions of having someone come out to fix it for me. One problem I see is the sheer danger of hanging round the motorway hard shoulder, or the real inconvenience of having to stand behind the Armco, freezing cold, until the man turns up. I was told by someone who should know that the average time a vehicle is stationary on the hard shoulder before being hit by another vehicle is 11 minutes - food for thought, however cold you might be.

In the final analysis, the choice depends on the probability, or otherwise, of getting a puncture at night, on the motorway, and how long you are prepared to wait for help. If the spare wheel is stored out of sight my choice is to keep the spare but, if it takes up luggage space, then the repair kit option is probably better, hence my query.

I have asked the dealer about the storage and I'll post the reply.

Just seen the most recent posts, and sidewall damage is a consideration although virtually every puncture I've suffered recently has been caused by a pothole, generally where they are concealed by water - I live in the sticks and narrow lanes are pretty prevalent - they don't allow much room from to manoeuvre in the face on oncoming traffic, specially when it's a ginormous tractor, or lost continetal juggernaut.

In the meantime, thanks for the info.

Ian

·
Registered
359 Posts
ianbruce said:
Hi all,

I included the option of a spare wheel in my spec having been assured by the dealer that there is a home for it in the car, out of the way. However, I have just read a review of the car which mentioned that Jag had saved space in the car by putting the battery where the spare wheel would normally go, the implication being that the spare wheel would be chucked in the boot (possibly with some sort of fastening to prevent it trying to make its way into the cabin in the event of an impact - not a pleasant thought).

Also, if this is the case, I'd be left with the option of leaving either my wife's luggage at home, or the spare wheel in the garage (possibly without even a Jaguar repair kit to fall back on), I'd be very grateful if anyone who has taken possession of their car with a spare wheel could enlighten me on the true situation.

Where would I be without this forum - in the hands of the dealer......

Ian
Hello Ian

I've the spare wheel and it does indeed sit on top of the battery. If you've noticed there are two options for a boot liner, one with and one without a spare wheel. If you don't have the spare wheel as an option you receive the factory fitted repair kit. The boot floor is also lower and it slopes upwards just behind the back seats. With the spare wheel fitted under the boot carpet the floor is completely flat and you wouldn't even know it's there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BAIKAR,

Thanks for that info - you've cleared up several points for me. Also, I've just had a call back from the dealer and they confirm what you say except that the guy said that the boot floor stands about an inch higher when the spare is in there, although after reading your very detailed description, it seems at least possible that the floor hasn't been refitted properly - who knows ? I haven't looked too seriously at the boot protectors although given my track record (of other "helpful" people) scraping the boot surround, it might be a worthwhile option ! As I have mentioned elsewhere (starlings and assorted rubbish falling off trees) I am considering purchase of a car cover.

Thanks again - and I hope you are having some success sorting out the faults you listed the other day.

Ian

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had a space saver in a car in the past - had to do 100 miles on it with the puncture having made me late getting to Stanstead airport for a business trip. I was lucky that the flight was delayed. When I got back both the leasing company and my own work had a bit of a go at me for changing the tyre myself at the side of the A14 (health and safety apparently) and I should have called out the roadside assistance, despite the fact it would have made me late. So what's the point in me having paid for he space saving wheel I asked? no answer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, the devious ways of management. Give you a job description without the resources to fulfil it and blame you when it goes wrong - probably the main reason that I welcomed retirement with open arms !

·
Registered
67 Posts
BAIKAR said:
I've the spare wheel and it does indeed sit on top of the battery. If you've noticed there are two options for a boot liner, one with and one without a spare wheel. If you don't have the spare wheel as an option you receive the factory fitted repair kit. The boot floor is also lower and it slopes upwards just behind the back seats. With the spare wheel fitted under the boot carpet the floor is completely flat and you wouldn't even know it's there. Hope that helps.
BAIKAR, thanks for this information! Actually I asked my dealer previously if having the spare wheel option would decrease the size of the boot, and he told me it wouldn't... again, it's a pitty most dealers do not know their cars thoroughly (err... not sure 'bout that word, sorry!) - they should spend time in such forums to learn.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heres a good tip, I NEVER ordered the spare wheel option on my XE-S. What i didnt know is that the dealer builds the car from your spec. on the jag system, and when they did this, it wouldnt allow the build to happen without the spare wheel option being selected, so my dealer had to add this in, and take it from his margin, so i get it at no extra cost. A good tip for anyone ordering an XE-S.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,570 Posts
That's a bit weird.
Plenty on here didn't order the spare wheel and the car came with the compressor and tyre foam kit instead which is standard spec.
The spare wheel is a cost option.
I wonder if the software threw a wobbler but lucky you for getting it for nothing.
:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
He wasnt sure, he did wonder if it was coz i ordered the 20inch propellers. ive certainly got a lovely red space saver i never paid for lol. A friend says it may be to do with the tyres on the car, ie if they are run flats then maybe a spare needs to be supplied, i havent had a chance to look yet.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,570 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but in the Uk at least, XE's don't come from the factory with runflats so you should have "normal" tyres.
The spare wheel is still a £155 option on the configurator irrespective of wheel size including the 20" so I think you can put this one down to a cock-up by the salesman.
A good thing for you though!
:lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
He certainly never cocked up, he said the software they build it on wouldnt allow it. Sounds like a glitch lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.