Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been a slave to the company car is better ideology for the best part of thirty years I started reconsidering recently when BMs increased in price for little extra gear in a time of financial hardship. Loved my BMWs though and never ever considered a Jag, old mans car and all that. Perhaps because I am indeed approaching the far side of middle age I saw an XF and started checking used approved offers. Then the lightening strike, love at first site, the XE and still cheaper than a 12 month old XF.

Having sat in one in a dealership the week they appeared, two weeks later I found myself coming out of another having ordered an 200 petrol R Sport in IRR colour. I only called in to have another look.

I am not precious about delivery date so haven't spoken to the dealer since, other than a good few weeks ago to see if he had a build slot. Tells me 4 Sept ( this year i hope) but not sure to believe this from posts on here.

What has surprised me was the difference in attitude between the dealers. The first one, much closer to home, left me standing for a good ten minutes never even said he would be with me in a few minutes. The second, very courteous although busy, came across asked what I was interested in took me to the car and said have a good look I will be with you in a few minutes.

Not having personally bought a new car for such a long time I was not sure what to expect; as it happens first dealer lost a £30k plus cash deal because of his attitude.

Anyway apart from all that rubbish I just want say how good I find this forum and the discussions in it as retrospectively it has confirmed my on the spur of the moment decision as a good one, dealers and delivery whinges excluded

Particularly liked the 'sparkling ' R Sport photos in IRR.

Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Another 200 buyer - let's hope we enjoy as much as anticipated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome Pipw62! That's a great choice!

I got the same experience with the dealership I order my XE from. I had to literally push them to show me things. The first salesman was totally useless as he couldn't reply to any of my questions. The second one was not that bad and I was able to negotiate a good discount on the price of the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My feeling was that the salesman at the first dealer thought it was beneath him to be selling the XE. I'm still waiting for him to call to confirm the test drive he supposedly booked for me. Ten weeks and counting now. Pretty sure I'll get my XE from the second dealer delivered before the first gets back to me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That's unfortunate to hear.

I have to say, my experience of Jaguar at H.A. Fox in Guildford has been really excellent so far - hopefully this will extend to delivery too in September.

I'm the sort of person who goes into this armed with every bit of detail known to man, and was pleasantly surprised at how on the ball the information given was. There was also a 200 waiting for me to test drive on my second visit and notification when they had a Bluefire delivered so I could see the colour in the flesh. So a shout out to Steph for the quality of experience so far, and recommended.

Maybe with an eye on the the delivery issues, I also managed to secure a dealer payment that matched the best I could find, together with free premium mats and GardX, so feel to have been treated as a valued new customer. The sort of thing I'll remember when I win the Lotto and return to buy my F-Type!

Of course the quality of the PDI and after-sales service will be more important once delivered - I've been a little concerned about people receiving cars not as spec'd or with little faults that a proper PDI should have picked up on. So it's so far very good, and we'll see if the after-sales lives up to my experience with Audi, which has been top notch, and some nice loan cars during service - hint hint :)

But for now, well done H.A. Fox Guildford.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not just me then. The first dealer I went to showed very little interest and was bordering rude. Was about 30 seconds off walking away when we started the test drive. I only remained because the car was just fantastic and cheered me up no end. Bearing in mind we were looking to buy a £50k car, we (my wife was there) were not even offers a cup of coffee.

When we got back he could give me a trade in price for my XF and said he would e mail me. The next week was hard work with me having to chase him for the quote. Eventually lost my patience and went elsewhere. Second dealership very helpful and did me a good deal on both the old and new cars. Bought one there and then. Had a really good test drive as well not the usual run around the block. Next day was contacted by the first dealer and I had great pleasure in telling him that I had just purchased the car elsewhere with all the trimmings.

I bought my wife a new Mini Cooper as the week before and the service was absolutely excellent. The car was half the price of the Jag. Well done Spires in Borehamwood!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mrxes said:
Not just me then. The first dealer I went to showed very little interest and was bordering rude. Was about 30 seconds off walking away when we started the test drive. I only remained because the car was just fantastic and cheered me up no end. Bearing in mind we were looking to buy a £50k car, we (my wife was there) were not even offers a cup of coffee.

When we got back he could give me a trade in price for my XF and said he would e mail me. The next week was hard work with me having to chase him for the quote. Eventually lost my patience and went elsewhere. Second dealership very helpful and did me a good deal on both the old and new cars. Bought one there and then. Had a really good test drive as well not the usual run around the block. Next day was contacted by the first dealer and I had great pleasure in telling him that I had just purchased the car elsewhere with all the trimmings.

I bought my wife a new Mini Cooper as the week before and the service was absolutely excellent. The car was half the price of the Jag. Well done Spires in Borehamwood!
What sort of salesman doesn't chase his leads? Lazy? Arrogant? The dealer was located in an industrial town, not the Cheshire countryside set here. He was uninterested from the start; I can't believe he had sold enough cars in the three days since the XE had been unveiled to warrant his attitude. Doesn't excuse him for not calling me back in any event, perhaps he thought I didn't have the money.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
They should only get one chance in my view. Your custom is too valuable to have to put up with anything but the best. Especially from a premium car company like Jaguar. Let's be honest, the entire car buying experience should be exciting and positive - apart from signing the cheque that is! :ymparty:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Absolutely right. We also tend to move on when we find the good dealer and put the other in the back of our minds. Not the right approach, but as I said, buying a car should not be be a pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.