Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago about a lumpy idle issue on my XE 240d, most answers suggested the engine mounts. Dealer found nothing wrong, not suprised as it was intermittent 🤷‍♂️ Since then the idle issue has developed into the car stalling. When I pull up the car sometimes feels fine, other times feels rough and lumpy while idling. When I release the brake and go to accelerate it's stalling on a semi regular basis?? I manged to catch it once and flick it into neutral while left foot braking and when I tried to rev the engine, it wouldn't rev?? Even foot to the floor it wouldn't rev just chugged at 500rpm or so then died again?? Only light that comes on is battery light??

·
Registered
2018 2.0t Ingenium petrol; Caldera Red; Red & Black int.
16 Posts
I'm not a diesel expert, but suggest the first thing to do would be to plug in a Fault Code Diagnostic unit, which might give you a clue.
My son had a diesel (Ford Mondeo) which used to lose power at inconvenient moments (e.g. overtaking at 75mph on the M3......) and the problem turned out to be faulty injectors. I recall they weren't inexpensive to replace (over £1K).
Good luck!
J.C.

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
One of my usual replies in these circumstances is to put a full system cleaner in the fuel tank (Wynns) and see how that goes. As the battery light comes on, I presume before the total stall, check all connections to earth are viable. On the +ve battery lead in the boot there is also a low tension wire that was on a recall in early cars to be tightened up, after causing problems. It could be many things like EGR valve, NOx sensor etc.The only thing for sure to find out what it is, is a full electronic diagnostics check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No faults showing up using an EBD 2 scanner, I checked EGR valve recently, everything appeared fine and very clean in the surrounding pipes. Battery sounds like a good place to check next. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had these and my turbo failed not long later
Obviously it could be anything else, but listen for a whirring noise when you accelerate as that could pinpoint to a turbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts