Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got stuck in traffic three times today and at no time the Sat Nav attempted to divert me. Its interesting because I did get the alerts at least 3 miles before the traffic started but the sat nav still lead me into it. You would of thought in a expensive car like this the Sat Nav would give you a couple of options to divert onto a different road.

Guys what is your experience with this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two comments;

Have you checked the sat nav settings to make sure you've got the traffic settings enable to divert you on to quicker routes

You might have found that despite the traffic the route you were on is still the fastest route to your destination

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, I'd just past the last slip road and she informed me off a traffic jam half a mile ahead. As other have commented the road number described a one thousand one hundred and eleven are a bit annoying too. Not the finest sat nav ever produced.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The more comments I hear about the satnav, and other things that might seem minor gripes - like problems with playing audio - the more I worry that the XE, while being a fine road car, is going to be disappointment at the driver interface level. I can't help getting the feeling that Jaguar are trying too hard to be techy for their own good. After all, we are talking about a luxury saloon car, not a mobile phone on wheels. The problems that seem to be emerging are the sort of feature that you don't necessarily check on a test drive, mainly because you fondly assume that the designers have got it right. I find the BMW I drive mouse thing so far ahead of the competition that I wonder why other manufacturers can't come up with something similar - or even use the BMW system under licence. Poking about on a touch sensitive screen is far more distracting than twiddling a knob with one had while glancing at the screen to confirm that you going for the info you need. What with all the delivery problems, and the things being reporteed in the Forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing by abandoning my BMW .

·
Registered
79 Posts
ianbruce said:
The more comments I hear about the satnav, and other things that might seem minor gripes - like problems with playing audio - the more I worry that the XE, while being a fine road car, is going to be disappointment at the driver interface level. I can't help getting the feeling that Jaguar are trying too hard to be techy for their own good. After all, we are talking about a luxury saloon car, not a mobile phone on wheels. The problems that seem to be emerging are the sort of feature that you don't necessarily check on a test drive, mainly because you fondly assume that the designers have got it right. I find the BMW I drive mouse thing so far ahead of the competition that I wonder why other manufacturers can't come up with something similar - or even use the BMW system under licence. Poking about on a touch sensitive screen is far more distracting than twiddling a knob with one had while glancing at the screen to confirm that you going for the info you need. What with all the delivery problems, and the things being reporteed in the Forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing by abandoning my BMW .
You don't have the car and making assumptions on hearsay - stick with the BMW if you're that worried.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm not sure the grievances discussed in the Forums can be dismissed as "hearsay". They appear to be genuine concerns and some at least are being supported by other drivers, hence I don't think I'm making assumptions per se. For instance, the description of the road names seems to be bizarre, to say the least (although in all honesty I long since gave up using the voice guidance, not least because it is incompatible with listening to any form of audio) so it won't bother me too much. A real problem is that it's very difficult to find out about these sort of details other than by listening to people who are driving the cars, and the devil is, after all, in the detail ! And, with the best will in the world, my dealer barely has the time to deal with the order paperwork, let alone listen to me asking obscure queries about the details of the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In settings the traffic is enabled along with the quicker routes. Its just disappointing that my cheap portable Garmin would always give me a couple options to choose from and this one doesn`t. I am thinking shouldn`t we have a more comprehensive Sat Nav Manual to understand how this works and if this is a feature of the Sat Nav. It just seems strange that something so important which has been around for so long is not part of this package plus speed cameras are also missing from the alerts.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I don't really mind about the sat Nav....for me it's a convenience rather than a necessity but I'm sure I read somewhere that it has an sd card slot so could it be upgradable?

·
Registered
67 Posts
ianbruce said:
Poking about on a touch sensitive screen is far more distracting than twiddling a knob with one had while glancing at the screen to confirm that you going for the info you need.
Well, I don't say you're wrong, but that's a matter of personal view. As far as I'm concerned, I definitely prefer a touchscreen than a rotating knob or a touchpad, as I find those unpractical and distracting.

It just seems strange that something so important which has been around for so long is not part of this package plus speed cameras are also missing from the alerts.
As far as I know, speed cameras alerts became illegal in most european countries a few years ago. Maybe that's why the XE satnav doesn't have them anymore?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Axel,

Each to his own, as they say. Until I experienced the BMW arrangement, I was happy enough with a touch screen. One reason I prefer the BMW device is that it can at times be difficult to touch the right part of the conventional screen if the car is bouncing about and I generally need to steady my hand against the screen surround. Also, the BMW screen is positioned closer to eye level and I find it easier to glance at it than to look down while I'm driving. The other benefit is the screen stays clean without grubby fingerprints all over it - which can make viewing the screen even harder in certain lights. I can't say I've experienced a separate touchpad in a car but I hate touchpads even on a laptop !! Maybe I'm getting too old to adapt to modern systems !!

It would be interesting to hear what other users think - about the different devices, not my age....

Also, I knew that some countries ban "active" (that is, devices which see a camera by detecting its monitoring beam - which seems a bit pointless unless they jam the beam) speed camera detectors but I understood that passive location warnings were still OK, at least in some places. You will know far more about the subject than me - I haven't driven outside the UK for probably 40 years, and am unlikely ever to do so now, so haven't kept up to date.

Ian

·
Registered
202 Posts
I certainly agree with you about how distracting (and annoying) 'stabbing' at a bouncing touchscreen can be Ian, but I haven't experienced the BMW system.
And I think that there's nothing wrong with (y)our age ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ianbruce said:
Hi Axel,

Each to his own, as they say. Until I experienced the BMW arrangement, I was happy enough with a touch screen. One reason I prefer the BMW device is that it can at times be difficult to touch the right part of the conventional screen if the car is bouncing about and I generally need to steady my hand against the screen surround. Also, the BMW screen is positioned closer to eye level and I find it easier to glance at it than to look down while I'm driving. The other benefit is the screen stays clean without grubby fingerprints all over it - which can make viewing the screen even harder in certain lights. I can't say I've experienced a separate touchpad in a car but I hate touchpads even on a laptop !! Maybe I'm getting too old to adapt to modern systems !!

It would be interesting to hear what other users think - about the different devices, not my age....

Also, I knew that some countries ban "active" (that is, devices which see a camera by detecting its monitoring beam - which seems a bit pointless unless they jam the beam) speed camera detectors but I understood that passive location warnings were still OK, at least in some places. You will know far more about the subject than me - I haven't driven outside the UK for probably 40 years, and am unlikely ever to do so now, so haven't kept up to date.

Ian
These are some really valid points especially if people didn`t go the heads up display which in this case is a must have purely because of the position of the touchscreen and the shaky hand etc. I must admit the voice recognition works really well to so I am really happy with that . The traffic diverts is really a let down for me. I know that we should not purely be relying on these devices but to me this has to be an essential feature.
To be honest I think something is not right and maybe its actually not working properly because the sat nav picks up on the traffic Jam but just doesn`t do anything about it , so it does warns you. In the real world what actually costs is the alerts where you pay yearly subscriptions to get these on your car the alternative route is just a recalculation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ianbruce said:
Until I experienced the BMW arrangement, I was happy enough with a touch screen. One reason I prefer the BMW device is that it can at times be difficult to touch the right part of the conventional screen if the car is bouncing about and I generally need to steady my hand against the screen surround. Also, the BMW screen is positioned closer to eye level and I find it easier to glance at it than to look down while I'm driving. The other benefit is the screen stays clean without grubby fingerprints all over it - which can make viewing the screen even harder in certain lights. I can't say I've experienced a separate touchpad in a car but I hate touchpads even on a laptop !! Maybe I'm getting too old to adapt to modern systems !!
Hi Ian,

Well, I test-drove the Jaguar, but also the BMW 4 Gran Coupe and the Mercedes C Class so I know how the BMW system works. I'm not saying it's bad, just that in my opinion a touchscreen is easier to use. Now I agree with you when it comes to the fact that you need to steady your hand before using the touchscreen, though the screen is big enough to display large, easy-to-click buttons IMO.

About the screen placement at eye level, you're right. I'm used to it because my Tomtom GPS is fixed on one of my car's vents, but indeed the Mercedes and BMW offer screens which are higher and thus probably safer. This is why I would go for the HUD on the XE or even better, the new 12" digital instruments clutter on the new Jaguar XF, which can display the complete satnav screen at the perfect place: right in front of you, just below eye level. Honestly, this is one of the options why I'm hesitating between the XE and the new XF.

As a side note, the C Class has a rotating knob *and* a touchpad. It's quite easy to use, and the fact that the touchpad lets you draw the letters on the screen is a good idea when it comes to enter a satnav address for example - however having both in the same car (and in the same place) is disturbing.

ianbruce said:
I think active detectors are banned in most EU country (this kind of device is useful because they allow you to detect any speed camera ahead, even mobile ones, where passive "detectors" only warns you about fixed speed cameras). Many EU countries however banned passive speed cameras detectors as well. In France, passive detectors are only allowed if they warn you about a "danger zone" where a speed camera might be active, but they can't point to an exact speed camera location anymore.

Now it would be logical if the XE satnav was warning about speed cameras in countries like UK where it is allowed, and just adapt itself in countries where it's not, like Tomtom's and other third-party devices...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back to the main subject of this thread, is it confirmed that the XE satnav does not provide other routes when there is a traffic jam or blocked road ahead? I do agree that this feature is quite essential nowadays :/

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Has anyone looked to see if there are any updates to their Nav available? No one has said they have done this.
The sd card can also be plugged into your pc to search for updates aswell.

I would have thought active traffic would be available.

It's frustrating as I don't have mine to play with.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm dissapointed to hear that all is not well with the sat nav system. I hated my XF sat nav with a passion and was hoping the new one on the XE would hit the mark. I understand the issues with the touch screen and this has been a bit of a pain in my current car. Still, I suppose we shouldn't be fiddling around with the sat nav too much whilst on the move in any case - just wait till you have to stop in the traffic jam that yours atman didn't divert you from lol. You can always stick a Tom Tom on the windscreen. :))

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see in the new XF presentation videos that the satnav is offering multiple road choices (with traffic informations) when you select a destination address.

Is the XE satnav doing the same?
And doesn't that mean that the system is able to have traffic informations and to provide alternatives if a traffic jam is ahead?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm with Ian on this one. Touchscreen just isn't the best interface for use in a vehicle. Has anyone tried using the touchscreen whilst pushing the car hard?

The idrive bmw system was laughed at when it was released now however it's largely regarded as the best there is.

Touchscreens are cheap and seem to be the choice on many lower end cars.

As for the rerouting as I have said on other posts the xe seems a little behind the times in a few ways which is a shame on a newly launched car.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
According to a dealer I spoke to 10 mind ago the Nav does give the option to re route

1 - 20 of 40 Posts