Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have posted a little on this earlier but decided to make a proper post on it , it is not a major issue but rather annoying in regards to the dust caps that are fitted to new jaguars.
The dust caps are painted usually silver or black to match the wheel color but they seem to discolor turning a white pastel color which is horrible considering the price we are paying for these cars , it has happened to my dads xf and my granddads F Type each turning this horrible white color i suggest mentioning it to your dealer to try and get the chrome jaguar caps which afterall are a minor expense considering the price of the cars.
I have provided a picture to show you what i mean and please excuse the dirty wheels lol

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they are metal they look like aluminium but i havent taken one off to look yet but it does look like the paint has partially worn off exposing the metal and the rest of the paint has turned white
They arent washed at the same place but it will be the paint reacting with chemicals its probably been painted and not laquered so the paint is unprotected but seeing as both cars are less than a month old they shouldnt turn white.
Just the simple black plastic caps would be better im only bringing it to attention because knowing how much the cars cost especially the XES the look shouldnt be compromised due to cheap and tacky caps

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the caps are aluminium then I guess they have started to oxidise, thus turning white. The second point, Jaguars are covered by a 3 year Warranty - return the caps for exchange - poor painting workmanship !!

I can imagine the response,

If it is oxidisation what about the other 75% of the XE ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i get your point with the 75% of the xe being aluminium. It should be protected being the body im guessing the caps have been overlooked i feel sorry for anyone who buys them second hand if they do start to turn...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't worry the oxidisation of the surface of aluminium protects from further corrosion. The oxide is extremely hard. The XE shell is also anodised to create a thicker protective layer. Aluminium is used in the construction of aircraft and they can last many decades.

Metal valve caps though can be a problem as they can weld to the valve as they corrode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts