Jaguar XE Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Ok. Officially intrigued. My box is still squatting on its sponge. It's quite happy but looks a bit like an unwelcome traveller camp in my engine bay.

You hid it there??

As for 'cutting' a 'grommet'. This is what came to my mind.
Hand Toy Ear Gesture Finger

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Definitely,
Just replace your sponge with one of these, cut it open and position the box inside. Then throw your sponge and replace with new grommet. Will also fool any Jag technicians who will just think it is a hitchhiker. Could go the whole hog and add a matching chair for it to sit in
Toy Gesture Fawn Snout Tail

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Thank you. made me laugh. They will definitely:LOL: pass that!

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
645 Posts
In response to the grommet post not the grommet post ;)

I opened it up to have a look but

1 couldn’t figure what to attach the box to
2 didn’t want to cut a hole (although I broke the clip so it’s 50/50 if I can get it off again after a service !!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know this is a petrol but it's the same job for running the cabling, just cut a slot into the thinner part of the grommet and your done
nice one, sorted :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: Dragos

·
Registered
240 Posts
In response to the grommet post not the grommet post ;)

I opened it up to have a look but

1 couldn’t figure what to attach the box to
2 didn’t want to cut a hole (although I broke the clip so it’s 50/50 if I can get it off again after a service !!
I then used double sided tape and stuck the tuning box to the pcm inside the hatch

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
small update:

still on program 4, mpg consistently higher on my commute by ~3-4, but will report back after full tank used, as i 've read somewhere (here maybe? :unsure:) that box can false mpg readings (showing they are better than in reality).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sooo, full tank at program 4, 455 miles done, VERY spirited last 4-5 drives and 2x motorway miles at 57mpg (personal best) - jag says 48mpg for the tank.. which for me from full tank at this mileage would be around 41mpg??
So mpg readings are false for sure :rolleyes: but whole experience still positive, as mentioned before, drice is muxh smoother.

Full tank again (well, 53 litres as can't put more than £99 worth of fuel at Sainsbury's). Box set to program no 7...

Will see what it's going to be tomorrow:devilish:

Reactions: IvorB1H

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Sounds about as scientific as we're going to get. And much more than my test!

Will be very interesting to see how setting 7 feels to you now. I have only ever used 7 and the car feels plenty quick enough for me. Economy has been fine, certainly no worse.
Having more power has encouraged me to use Sport gear mode more (as well as Dynamic which I always did as the throttle response is much sharper). It has been rather fun!

Once again, the addition of the TDI box has been a blessing in that it has made me learn about things that Jaguar had already engineered in. The more I push my R-Sport, the more I appreciate it. Its handling capabilities are well beyond mine in the dry on public roads, most certainly.
I have driven (and seriously messed up in) cars in the past that have scared me. Not so my XE. It just gets better the more I push it.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear whether the positive economy story on your D180 continues. Goat power!
Terrestrial animal Tail Snout Whiskers Fur

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
7 feels waaay smoother than 4. and obviously more responsive etc., definitely faster in getting up to speed.

box would give you 'more of a experience' than me as i'm always in s dynamic and on paddles ;) always was in xf at 275bhp, so if i had your horses, they would be used to full extend as well ;)

as you said, economy is not worse (so far :LOL:), so happy days

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sooo, full tank at program 4, 455 miles done, VERY spirited last 4-5 drives and 2x motorway miles at 57mpg (personal best) - jag says 48mpg for the tank.. which for me from full tank at this mileage would be around 41mpg??
So mpg readings are false for sure :rolleyes: but whole experience still positive, as mentioned before, drice is muxh smoother.

Full tank again (well, 53 litres as can't put more than £99 worth of fuel at Sainsbury's). Box set to program no 7...

Will see what it's going to be tomorrow:devilish:
The car will be confused as the tuning box is messing with the fuel rail pressure readings behind it's back which will cause the mpg to over read.

So your average was 41mpg based on filling the tank, what do you think you were getting before the tuning box?

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
Many years back I went to my grandad's big shed in the corner of a field. We used to do cars up there for sale. I had gone there as we were doing up a Landrover and he was out. When he came back in his MG Magnette (which I later owned) he had a goat in the back seat area. That beastie stayed with us for several weeks before getting sold to a farmer. So, goats and petrol cars do go together.😂

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The car will be confused as the tuning box is messing with the fuel rail pressure readings behind it's back which will cause the mpg to over read.

So your average was 41mpg based on filling the tank, what do you think you were getting before the tuning box?
my avg on tank without box was 44mpg (+/-), but as mentioned, last few rides with box programmed to 4, were very, very spirited, more than my usual driving (couldn't help it :whistle:), so I'm not surprised it went down to 41.

so let's say it over reads now by +7mpg, a lot :unsure:

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
645 Posts
According to Fuelly
My last tank since installing box was 29.7 mpg
Previous tanks from new yielded 27.7mpg avg

however I’ve had a few longer drives so I’d say it’s not really impacted the mpg but car does think it’s doing +5/6mpg better than the actual outcome

I don’t think mine has had that much of a benefit to be honest on the P300 I’d deffo recommend for the diesel /P250 (based on others experience here) but I don’t think the gains are that noticeable on mine - it does make power delivery more consistent however which was really the main point I suppose 🤣

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
after 3 commutes on p7, of which 1 was more spirited than it really should be ( :devilish: ), mpg sits at 47, so if it reads +7 as before, then real mpg would be 40, which is good for the grin factor associated with it(y)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts