Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if i could ask other forum members.
seriously thinking of buying new xe.
will be completely new ground for me.
know road tax will be nil or 20.00 at most on diesel and servicing can be paid up front.
question of reliability is uncharted territory for me.
how would you rate reliability on jaguar you have owned

·
Registered
143 Posts
I drove two X-Types, one after the other, as company cars. Both I drove for three years covering about 80,000 miles.

The first needed the exhaust gas return valve cleaning out (too much smoke) and the catch replaced that opened the window in the tailgate.

The second one needed an oil seal replaced around the clutch. It was still under warranty otherwise that would have been expensive. It also had 18 in wheels and was the only car I have ever driven, where I have had to replace a broken wheel. This has put me off big wheels and made me realize the obvious -- why cars have pneumatic rubber tyres in the first place: to soak up the pot holes.

So apart from the clutch oil seal, I was pretty happy with the reliability. I covered a lot of miles, in great comfort.

When the X-Type was discontinued, I tried BMW & Audi, but found them both uncomfortable, the BMW extremely so. I decided to get a cheap car because the expensive ones seemed so deficient in such a basic matter, and got a Toyota. The Toyota (of course) has had impeccable reliability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did quite a bit of research before settling on the XE. Never owned a jaguar before but really excited about taking delivery (hopefully in Sept) of my XE! The car is brand new so reliability data will be quite scarce. Having test driven an auto 180 portfolio I was very impressed with build quality and premium feel. Only close competitor was the merc c class, BMW and Audi don't really make the mark for me personally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking time to reply.
only concern now is with low miles i will be doing less than 6k each year.
will have to go for petrol engine and not new diesel.
hearing stories of dpf failure if car not given regular long runs

·
Registered
120 Posts
dar1893 said:
Thanks for taking time to reply.
only concern now is with low miles i will be doing less than 6k each year.
will have to go for petrol engine and not new diesel.
hearing stories of dpf failure if car not given regular long runs
You are better off with a petrol anyway - if you have a choice and do less than 15k miles a year, I don;t know why anyone would go for a diesel (if buying brand new). :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Co2 is the main factor for company car drivers! My company car list didn't feature the petrol version as we are limited to a maximum of 160 co2 emissions!!! Also BiK tax would have made the petrol version unaffordable for me even if it was on the list :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've ordered a diesel even though I'm buying privately. I do a lot of miles and the break even point was around three years and I intend to keep the car longer than that. I came out of the company car scheme because, for me at any rate, the government has closed the tax loophole that it represents.

If you're doing low mileage, petrol makes much more sense. And of course a free-revving engine is more fun :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
dar1893 said:
Wonder if i could ask other forum members.
seriously thinking of buying new xe.
will be completely new ground for me.
know road tax will be nil or 20.00 at most on diesel and servicing can be paid up front.
question of reliability is uncharted territory for me.
how would you rate reliability on jaguar you have owned
As I am expecting my fist Jaguar I can't comment on the reliability; however I can comment on my current BMW520d which has cost me considerable amounts in the last couple of years. It is a late 2010 which I have had from new fully serviced. So far, rear suspension collapse, cost £600.00. Alarm system fault which cost an eyewatering £700.00 and my wheels have corroded so I have have to have them re-coated at a cost of about £100.00 per wheel. So not the picture that is always painted of our German cousins' offerings. The car hasn't done 60,000 miles.

It seems that where I live, Mid- Warwickshire, nearly everyone I talk to works for JL and speak very highly of the car. Go for it!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Webbswonderful sorry to hear that. Those figures are alarming!
Sounds like they've left the days of over engineering every component to make a few quid extra in profit.
Must admit always chose sport model and 6cyl when poss for simple reason everything is higher spec.

Not owned a Jag before but XF appears very high on reliability lists and build quality. So other than new model niggles it should be fine.

I've derisked my xe though with company option. If it's a lemon they can sort it.

As for dpf the journeys don't have to be very long just a fair average speed 40mph plus at warm engine temp seems to trigger it for mine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an XF, 35K on clock in 4.5 years and zero reliability issues.

On the wear & tear side, the first set of tyres lasted under 20K (2 years) and second set (same Dunlops), disappointingly, also 2 years but only 14k, reported as inside tyre wear due to alignment issue (£600 -£650 a set). Otherwise, a set of rear brake pads, £200, at 22K and a shock absorber bush, £135, just done.

The only very minor quibbles I would have with the XF are in relation to the overall quality look and feel diminished with cheap looking cup-holders in rear armrest, rubber bonnet stops fixed with a dab of glue; two sets fallen off, and the wheel badges delaminating within 2 years.

I love driving the XF, especially in Dynamic mode, hence I had no hesitation in going for XE: 240PS petrol, to match/better the XF 3.0l Diesel.

Enjoy the ride! :-bd

·
Registered
125 Posts
Never owned jaguar or German. Both my last two Saabs have done over150000 with only normal services breaks and tiers. Could not buy Volvo ( still too much ford in them). Jags the only options left. Should get r sport 200ps in July , ordered it in March.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Jezza said:
Never owned jaguar or German. Both my last two Saabs have done over150000 with only normal services breaks and tiers. Could not buy Volvo ( still too much ford in them). Jags the only options left. Should get r sport 200ps in July , ordered it in March.
Is that the Ford engined version with german gearbox?

Sorry couldn't resist

1 - 13 of 13 Posts