Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 65 plate XE in for a check after I noticed it sounding like a tractor for the last few weeks. It's done 70k miles mainly up an down the motorway on a weekly basis. The garage has said it basically going to cost around £4K to replace the timing chains along with a few other less expensive fixes. I was under the impression that the chains should last the lifetime of the car so was a little shocked to say the least. Talking with the guy at the garage, he basically said that the issue is known and that it's down to using some low quality parts in the early production. Surely if they know that there's an issue these should have been recalled? Just wondering how many people are out there that have had any joy from Jaguar with regard to this issue?

·
Registered
Wokingham, Berkshire
386 Posts
£4K sounds like a lot of money to do the chains. You can buy the kit of parts for less than £300, so to make up the cost that would be an entire week of labour at average garage rates. I believe the actual time to do the job is 4 to 6 hours.

You need to get another quote.

Reactions: geoffjones889

·
Registered
378 Posts
What engine is it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had a similar quote from a jaguar main dealer. 4k+ for both timing chains. 2015 xe r sport. Both have stretched. 70k miles. Why does his happen?
Anyone know where I can get them done cheaper. Live in Kent.
Cheers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wouldn't take a 6-year old car to a main dealer - unless Jaguar can offer up some "goodwill" gesture for (what some have said) a known issue. Find an Independent who deals in JLR cars.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've been tracking this Timing Chain topic extensively using the search function on the new website (Phil will be proud of me, lol). While I could not find definitive association with one engine type suffering this problem versus another, it seemed the Diesel 4-cylinder cropped up a few times. But what about the Petrol 4-cylinder? Any difference between the P250 versus P300? Did earlier XE MYs have more timing chain issues than more recent with such engines? I ask because I have a MY19 P300 built in October 2018. Can anyone provide fact based insight or reference information for my specific engine? I'm currently approaching 3 years and 35,000 miles on my XE.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think that one good preventative measure is much more frequent engine oil and filter changes than the current Jaguar recommendation of 20,000 mile intervals. To my mind this is FAR too long and I think 10,000 mile - or even 6,000 mile - intervals are much more realistic. For the (admittedly high price) cost of the oil and filter, and the ease of changing both if you use a suction pump down the dipstick tube, it's a doddle to do it yourself and well worth it to preserve the engine.

Reactions: Dragos and Stephen

·
Registered
7 Posts
So cylinder 1 and 2 not showing full compression. Been told that it will be cheaper to supply a new engine rather than try and rebuild mine. I was quoted 11.5k . Found a company in Grays that have been very helpful and maybe able to help for a lot less. Fingers crossed again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Couple of weekends ago I purchased a motorcycle from a chap Birmingham way , he had a lovely XF on the drive and when I mentioned I had an XE, he opened up that he works for JLR in the vehicle testing programme.

I asked him about weakness's in the cars and he stated the Ingenium diesel was more fragile than the petrol and can suffer from a number of failures, timing chains being one, the early lumps did not have the best oil lubrication system he believed.

From what he said, I would say more frequent oil changes are a wise move as Chris advises above.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Podders,
Thanks for relay of verbal feedback from the JLR Test guy. As Chris recommends, I always get a full-synthetic oil and filter change every 5,000 miles by my JLR Dealer so this Timing Chain potential issue is just another good reason for doing so. I recall a prior spirited XE Forum thread debate on the frequency of oil changes and some folks inferring I was throwing my money away for my 5,000 mile frequency practice. Given this Timing Chain topic, I'd now say it is a relatively small-price good investment :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you have one of the early lumps with a less than perfect oil distribution system, it won't matter how often you change the oil

·
Registered
507 Posts
Agree. As previously mentioned, my MY19 with my P300 was built in Oct18 so I don't know if old or improved oil distribution system as well as if bad or better Timing Chain design. Again, any insight on my specific engine and time built?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't know how good they are but was mentioned on few forums, apparently they do replace for under £2000. Worth checking with them. MISTERmatic
I've used MisterMatic for over 15 years and found them to be excellent, both with service and price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ho appena fatto controllare la mia XE da 65 targa dopo che nelle ultime settimane ho notato che suonava come un trattore. Ha percorso 70.000 miglia principalmente su e giù per l'autostrada su base settimanale. Il garage ha detto che sostanzialmente costerà circa £ 4.000 per sostituire le catene di distribuzione insieme ad alcune altre soluzioni meno costose. Avevo l'impressione che le catene dovessero durare per tutta la vita dell'auto, quindi sono rimasto un po' scioccato per non dire altro. Parlando con il ragazzo al garage, ha sostanzialmente detto che il problema è noto e che dipende dall'utilizzo di alcune parti di bassa qualità all'inizio della produzione. Sicuramente se sanno che c'è un problema, questi avrebbero dovuto essere richiamati? Mi chiedo solo quante persone ci sono là fuori che hanno avuto qualche gioia da Jaguar riguardo a questo problema?
[/CITAZIONE]
Just previous week at my preferred workshop in Parma (the owner is an old chef mechanic who spent his life in Jag) told me that my XE 250P my2017 to sobstitute the timing chain as soon as possible cause the engine light is on. The cost for original parts (the latest version engineered in 2021) costs about € 900+vat and need 20hrs. Total amount around € 2.400. WARNING! Use always original spares! --> The new timing chain is builted to stop the elongement during his life.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Agree, plus changing the oil will not stop a chain stretching, they were obviously made of a very low grade steel. Nothing in the world will alter that.
I suspect the "stretching" description is not really accurate and that what happens is the links in the chain wear, causing each joint, and thus the whole chain, to lengthen a little bit. This may well be down to poor quality steel, but keeping relatively new oil in the engine may lessen the wear at least a bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts