Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my XE last weekend. Love the looks, love the handling, etc. But don't love the interior noise. I hear a humming sound at all speeds on the motorway (40-80 mph). The humming changes at the change of tarmac, so it must be tire noise. I've got the 18" matrix with Contisportcontact 5 tires. Has anyone the same problem?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Marc said:
I have the 19", no noise..

Where are the pics? :)
You have better roads ☺

I spent 5 days travelling over 2500 miles across Europe twice this year and difference is very noticeable. Although my 19's on my 5 series are quiet here on all but concrete motorways. My avensis however is very noisy on 17's.

It's all in the build quality.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to the dealer and he confirmed: tire noise. In a few days the Continentals will be replaced with Dunlops. Hope that will solve the problem...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have 17" wheels -- I think with the 163 PS cars the wheels are also narrower. No doubt this is for reduction of rolling resistance to get under the magical 100g/km in the lab.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the tyre noise level. I was something that I expected to be better than in German cars and I'm pleased that, from my experience, it is. I travel to Germany a lot, because my wife comes from there. Their roads are typically in a better state of repair and they use a finer surface dressing or so I believe. I have driven Audi's & BMW's in the UK and while the engine is quiet, the tyres are roaring away. I would say that Mercedes generally pay more attention to coping better with rougher road surfaces.

Of course someone with with a recorder/analyzer could prove that the above is a load of subjective tosh :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
v0lterra said:
I have 17" wheels -- I think with the 163 PS cars the wheels are also narrower. No doubt this is for reduction of rolling resistance to get under the magical 100g/km in the lab.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the tyre noise level. I was something that I expected to be better than in German cars and I'm pleased that, from my experience, it is. I travel to Germany a lot, because my wife comes from there. Their roads are typically in a better state of repair and they use a finer surface dressing or so I believe. I have driven Audi's & BMW's in the UK and while the engine is quiet, the tyres are roaring away. I would say that Mercedes generally pay more attention to coping better with rougher road surfaces.

Of course someone with with a recorder/analyzer could prove that the above is a load of subjective tosh :)
Not driven an Audi but on BMW at least all you need to do is switch out the run flats to eliminate tyre noise and improve the ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mercedes dealer told me a few weeks ago that run flat tyres were indeed making more noise while driving than standard tyres.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tyre noise is from the continual compression and release of compressed air from treads. Good roads now use porous surfaces which prevent air compression in the tread, and, coupled with a smooth surface to minimise rough rumble, provide a very quiet ride. This, I believe, is now an EU spec for fast urban roads close to housing - my local bypass had it laid 5 years ago and the tyre noise is almost undetectable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
robertW said:
This, I believe, is now an EU spec for fast urban roads close to housing - my local bypass had it laid 5 years ago and the tyre noise is almost undetectable.
Bloody EU, interfering in our right to have noisy roads! Next thing they'll be insisting we have to fill in all lovely potholes in our roads too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts