Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most exciting instrument feature on the XE is, for me, the current speed limit display - clear and bright and in my face. This is will be great. Watching for and keeping to the speed limits in clear rural roads is the only driving failing that I admit to and this feature will hit me every time I check the speedo.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Given that the car also has a speed limiter I wonder why they didn't put the two together setting IT automatically after reading a speed limit sign.....

·
Registered
799 Posts
SiblingChris said:
Given that the car also has a speed limiter I wonder why they didn't put the two together setting IT automatically after reading a speed limit sign.....
Same reason they don't limit cars to 70. Cars are about freedom.

I'm slightly surprised at the number of people who seem to want/need a gadget to tell them the speed they should be doing. Useful abroad maybe when things are not clear and unknown rules but in UK if the car sees a sign why doesn't the driver?

I'm no Saint and probably speed more than most here but I am always aware of my speed and what it should be. If you aren't how can you perceive hazards.

Don't get me wrong I think the technology is incredible I can't fault JLR as it's next gen (others have had it since 2010) but it's only telling you what you should already know.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imagine that there was an auto speed limiter and it was switched off, the driver was seen speeding and a magistrate wanted an explanation. The driver could argue that he didn't see the last speed sign because of an unavoidable distraction - like the driver hearing an ambulance somewhere in the distance and looking for it as he passed the speed sign. The magistrate could be sympathetic to this argument but not to the deliberate act of switching the limiter off.

So a switchable auto limiter could be a liability and, of course, a limiter without override would be silly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
tobes said:
SiblingChris said:
I'm slightly surprised at the number of people who seem to want/need a gadget to tell them the speed they should be doing. Useful abroad maybe when things are not clear and unknown rules but in UK if the car sees a sign why doesn't the driver?

I'm no Saint and probably speed more than most here but I am always aware of my speed and what it should be. If you aren't how can you perceive hazards.
There is a difference between wanting to confirm the speed limit on a road, and not being aware of your speed. For me, its very much because I am aware of my speed that I want this kind of technology in my vehicle :) It's a helpful reminder when you are in an unfamiliar area, or on a longer road where speed signs are infrequent, or on a dual carriageway that looks like it should be 70mph, but its actually limited to 50 or 40mph depending on which section you are on. e.g the A34 in Manchester.

No need to wait for the next sign to check, the car just knows :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
robertW said:
Imagine that there was an auto speed limiter and it was switched off, the driver was seen speeding and a magistrate wanted an explanation. The driver could argue that he didn't see the last speed sign because of an unavoidable distraction - like the driver hearing an ambulance somewhere in the distance and looking for it as he passed the speed sign. The magistrate could be sympathetic to this argument but not to the deliberate act of switching the limiter off.

So a switchable auto limiter could be a liability and, of course, a limiter without override would be silly.
But that's like complaining the AEB didn't stop you from running the old lady over as you tried to jump the lights.
The driver is still responsible and the speed limiter is not actually a hard limit. Plus it can be switched on and off. So it would be a guide and no more.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a solution - an audible alert, reading out the new limit as the sign comes into view.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Personally, I'm all in favour of the current speed limit display. So many speed limit sign seem to be at roundabouts or complex junctions where it's easy to miss them in the plethora of other signs while you are trying to work our where you should be going, and trying to avoid the locals who do know where they are going. Once upon a time it was easy - street lights meant 30 mph, no lights, unlimited. Even when 40 mph and 50 mph started to become more common, you could make a pretty good guess at what the limit was likely to be, and there were repeater signs at statutory intervals.

Unfortunately, since locals councils were encouraged to re-assess - that is, reduce - speed limits, speed limits can, and often do, change every half mile or so on some roads, and their very inconsistency - 60 mph on a twisting country lane with blind bends, but 30 mph on a long straight road where the houses are set back 100 feet from the road - makes it almost impossible to keep on top of what the current limit is. The whole topic has all the hallmarks of someone ticking boxes - houses = 30 mph, no houses = 60 mph, with little consideration of the elements that really matter to a thinking driver. Then there is the issue of misaligned signs, or those hidden in foliage or, worse, partly hidden behind other moronic signs. I wonder how the system will handle these situations.

On the issue of hidden signs though, there is case law which allows dismissal of the charge, providing that the driver is not exceeding the immediately previous limit.

And then, there is the issue of the location of speed cameras.. Perhaps it would be wise for me not to go there, as my opinions might be libellous and in any event, is way off topic !

Happy unspeeding..

Ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like RobertW's idea, just an audible alert would be great Even if it just said "Speed 30!" if you where going too fast.. Nokia Drive on my phone will sound it it thinks I'm speeding and I like it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just picked up my XE from Cumbria. Drover round the lakes for a few days and then back down to Berkshire. The speed limit sign reader seems almost psychic! How does it know when a dual carriageway becomes a single carriageway? It seems to. Works very well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think it would be nice the on and off button to activate the limiter which follows the sign. Also is the limiter sign going to be represented on the Heads up display as I ordered this with the car. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
The problem I have found and one that would be even more evident if it was linked to a limiter is this. Sometimes the cameras miss a sign. Either because it's partially covered by a hedge or not clear enough. You then drive from a higher speed limit into a 30 zone and the display still shows 60. It would work the other way around too. I think the system is excellent at recognising signs and doing it very quickly too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BAIKAR said:
The problem I have found and one that would be even more evident if it was linked to a limiter is this. Sometimes the cameras miss a sign. Either because it's partially covered by a hedge or not clear enough. You then drive from a higher speed limit into a 30 zone and the display still shows 60. It would work the other way around too. I think the system is excellent at recognising signs and doing it very quickly too.
I was told that the indicator is controlled by satnav data as well as cameras, so, with a hidden sign, the satnav signal should control the indicator. In some cases there will be conflict between the two inputs - such as a temporary speed sign that is not on the satnav data stream. Hopefully, in such a situation, the indicator then displays the slower limit of the two received.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Njco74 said:
I think it would be nice the on and off button to activate the limiter which follows the sign. Also is the limiter sign going to be represented on the Heads up display as I ordered this with the car. Thanks
It looks like it does. Page 33 of the XE Main Brochure shows an example of the head up display that includes a graphic of the local speed limit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thinking about speed limits reminds me a of a Les Dawson joke from years back - it goes something like this -
An elderly woman is driving at 60mph in a 50 limit, is stopped by a speed cop and is asked what she thought the speed limit was. She replied "I'm ever so sorry officer but I'm afraid I cant help you with that one - I'm not from around here, you see - you need to ask someone more local"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.