Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the car but not the humming noise coming from the turbo on my R sport 180, only had a week and not happy has have been told by Jaguar nothing can be done :(

·
Registered
799 Posts
You sure it's turbo noise?

I've driven a twin turbo diesel for 8 years and never even heard it even on track days.

Turbo noise is in my experience only ever heard with dump valves on high powered engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know what you mean about the dump valves noise but every one in the car can hear it , so went to Jag dealer and was told oh yeah we know about it and was told doubt jaguar will do anything

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not good news. I thought they were trying to rival the Germans.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Could it be a panel resonating? Does the noise occurs at one speed only and diminish with increased speed?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Just an uniformed suggestion.
That sucks....Surely if the noise isn't apparent in another xe something is wrong with yours?!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ive had a bit of a search this morning and there are no reports anywhere of any turbo cars making a humming noise.....although we all describe things differently.

Whistling is the common term for turbo noise, as its the sound of the compressor inside the turbo spinning up to speed.

Im wondering if it's just the engine noise you are hearing rather than just the turbo? Also does it happen at very low revs? The turbo will not be doing hardly anything close to idle, perhaps try accelerating from idle to say 1300-1500 revs, if the noise is the same then I'd guess it's just the engine noise rather than a turbo issue.

This doesn't make it right by any means but some have said the engine is not as quiet as expected.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I commented on this not long after driving my 240 petrol. I've driven many different cars over the years and this sound was not a normal waste gate or engine sound.

I noticed it most at slower speeds. I narrowed it down to the engine by shutting off anything that can make noise. The aircon, infotainment(it has a fan to keep it cool). I tested stationary to see if it was drive related and could still hear it when in park.
I described it as sounding like a blanking plug was missing from the bulkhead and allowing engine bay noise into the centre console area behind the infotainment unit. It was hard to pin point where exactly. I've seen cars before where the seal around the gear selector was loose and let road noise in.

I'm guessing that as this is a diesel it's something to do with the car body and not down to engine type.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
At what engine speed does the noise become noticeable?
I could select that same speed in my XE and have a deep listen - along our super-quiet local bypass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I told jag garage about the noise THEY said it was the turbo and one of the mechanics drove another car and after much head scratching decided that's what it was and unless they get a lot of complaints can't see jag doing a recall

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. After a week of ownership and having to go back to the dealer to fix the alarm sensors I asked about the turbo noise.

Like you I can hear it a lot. Especially around the 30mph mark. I mentioned its like a whining and wondered what it was. They did some tests and decided it was the turbo. They then took their own XE's out and realised its on them too but hadn't noticed. So they have said to me now that it seems the turbo noise is more apparent on the XE and is considered by them as normal.

Had other turbos before and ive never experienced the whine when just cruising so I find it odd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I first drove my XE I instantly heard that whistling sound as well. Sounds pretty cool you might say but on my last car (Audi A3 2.0 TDI) it only appeared just before the turbo broke down. Same happened to a friends Opel OPC.

·
Registered
799 Posts
gsb1970 said:
You asked what can go wrong after warranty that costs a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So far I'm not really concerned, some turbos are louder than others. As long as it stays on the same level and doesn't increase hopefully everything will be fine. Otherwise a breakdown will be definitely a warranty issue. Of course I'll obey the golden rules and not floor it too hard before it's warm and won't shut engine down immediately after a fast trip :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is quite an audible 'hiss' noise from the turbo in my mini - personally, I quite like it! :D But it has done that since day 1, so I am pretty confident it's not about to break down lol. A friend of mine had a peugeot (something, can't remember the number) a few years back, and the turbo housing cracked. That was pretty expensive to fix ...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts