Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elsewhere I have commented that I have been annoyed recently by a rattle from high behind me when the weather is warm and I hit certain roads at low speeds. In an effort to find it, I have lubricated all sorts of things (seats, door cards, C pillar, anything I could remove without damaging too much) and to no avail. Eventually, I read here about roof panels moving on earlier run cars than mine and took to thumping the roof. And then I think I found the bugger. It was poking out the back of the roof lining in the centre and touching the glass (and hence rattling).

Hood Automotive lighting Window Automotive mirror Sky

It's a connector on the end of quite a long wire to somewhere. I'm fairly sure this end is supposed to clip into the underside of the sharkfin antenna (it was in the centre of the roof lining, I have merely fed it under the lining for now).
Around 4 months ago I cancelled my InControl subscription as the novelty had worn off and the telemetry unit was no longer locating the car. So the journey information was not updating. The radio functions of the antenna are fine. So I think this connector must be for GPS location and has somehow come loose.

At first sight, and some googling, removing the roof lining is a complete pig on the XE to get access to the underside of the antenna to plug this in. Anyone have any good suggestions that don't involved wrecking my roof?

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
By the factory manual removing it required removal of windshield. Anyways I bet you can drop it after removing plastic trim parts, front headpanel and rearseat roof lamps and then access to under side of the sharkfin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yes, I did see one diagram that suggested a windscreen screen removal!

I am wary of damaging the lining, obviously. It looks like a hell of a job to remove all those parts. I'll have a look and come back when I get stuck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hmmm, having dealt with roof liners on previous non-Jaguar vehicles, they are usually a pain if you haven't done them frequently (which most of us fortunately have only done maybe once or twice in a lifetime). Sagging reinstalled roof liners is the most common problem I and several of my friends have personally experienced. If you're worried, maybe this is one of those jobs you might consider giving to a pro that guarantees their work?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:oops::eek:
Thank you. Good Lord. I had seen that pdf and lost it. Seeing it again brings back that this is not a job for me. Wow.

And getting someone else to do it sounds like a day of labour at least and could they really bend the lining without mucking it up (I assume they would not remove the screen). It would be less than Jag, but still.

I may just have to live with it. The implication of the unconnected wire is that Telemetry aspect of the InControl App fails to locate and talk to the car. Given that I used its features of remote startup and climate control about twice and stopped tracking my monthly mpg because, well, life is too short, I think I can live with it.
The next owner might be unimpressed, but I'll have the car for a good while yet and that'll be a small concern, I suspect. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am actually wondering what the connectors to the sharkfin look like (I only suspect, that is where my connector has come from) and whether I can leave the lining partially in situ (is there a manual for connecting it?), but it's not the most robust thing and tears/creases will become visible for ever. Risky.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am actually wondering what the connectors to the sharkfin look like (I only suspect, that is where my connector has come from) and whether I can leave the lining partially in situ (is there a manual for connecting it?), but it's not the most robust thing and tears/creases will become visible for ever. Risky.
I'm not sure that the connector would end up there if it had disconnected from the shark fin! There are aerial elements in the rear screen so perhaps the connection is a lot closer! 😳

·
Registered
540 Posts
I looked on e-bay for an antena and look like this. Wonder if a kind of improvisation can work, not removing headliner completly. Do you have folding seats? If yes, maybe you can remove just rear pilars, roof lamp etc and try to drop just rear part of headliner. Maybe you can remove rear parcel shelf, fold seats and work somehow from the boot. Sound stupid but maybe worth investigating this route.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks gents, very helpful. This gives me ideas.
But then it also kick started my memory. I had completely forgotten that I bought a new sharkfin antenna a long while ago in Santorini black. I intended to install it when I had the roof wrapped. Turned out it's not a good colour match as it's a bit 'sparkly' so the original antenna is painted gloss back now and matches the roof well. So I stored the replacement one and forgot all about it. Doh! :rolleyes:

Input device Peripheral Computer Communication Device Guitar accessory

Anyway, I tried the stray connector in here and no go. They look like they may fit but none of the five do. So either it's nothing to do with the antenna (need to check my high level brake light now. The aerial must work as the radio on all bands and DAB is fine) or there is an intermediary connector.

The thick plottens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The connector you have is certainly an RF coaxial connector, so it will be antenna related. The rear screen contains some antennas for FM, DAB and doubtless a few other radio systems. i'm guessing there's a box somewhere that splits these out from the power to the heater element and into coaxial cables like the one you have dangling.
Alternatively, as you say, it's from the shark fin but there's an intermediate connection that has come undone.
Another possibility is that it's from a 3rd party mobile phone or tracker installation that was removed at some point, or pre-wiring for an optional extra that was never fitted.
Watching with interest, as my XE has a rattle up there somewhere too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a rattle from somewhere in rear back inside cabin, I saw that when tapping with fingers rear shelf was a kind of rattling noise so I stuff some big yellow sponge(that one what you buy from supermarket for £1) between metal frame and shelf from inside the boot. Rattle gone. You may try some simple trick like this by stuffing some sponge at the end of headliner where headliner meat rear glass, who know may work.
That connector maybe was from a rear view camera, aftermarket fitted and when car was sold, owner removed the camera but not bothered to remove the wire.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Only an idea and might not be possible but what about buying a cheap endoscope and pushing it into the cavity. Might show something up

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Only an idea and might not be possible but what about buying a cheap endoscope and pushing it into the cavity. Might show something up
Hopefully not haemorrhoids 😁 Just a thought ( quoted about 500 times) do you have a sunroof? Mine rattled and rattled but it was not evident exactly where the rattle was coming from. A chap in the USA discovered it was the plastic inner trims not pushed fully home. I pressed all around mine and got a couple of clicking noises and the rattle was gone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks gents, lots of ideas.
God knows where I get an endoscope from, assume that wasn't a real suggestion ;)
Thereagain, I found this.. thousands of possible uses!

Line Font Automotive tire Parallel Auto part

It's bloody awkward working at this end of car. Anyone ever mention that lovely sloping roof? And my lining isn't dropping more than a couple of inches before I fear I do some permanent damage.

Maybe this is all a red herring. I think I've cured the rattle, which was my main problem. 🤞

Off to have a fiddle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok, so after a day of "testing" I am happy to say I did over 30 miles of fast windy roads with all sorts of twists, bumps, and challenges. Goodness this XE is a lot of fun. :D
The roads were quiet and I got the chance to test until I'd actually quite forgotten why I was driving. The best Sunday of afternoon chores ever!

The good news:
-The rattle from the back of the car is solved. It does seem it was the loose coax wire hitting the glass. It is tucked away safely now. Fingers crossed I won't hear from it again.
-I located an intermittent rattle from under the passenger's seat. Initially I had removed the seat back and WD40'd everything liberally. That didn't work. I then I looked under the seat itself and saw there are multiple wires and connectors just above the floor. A wire and its large green connector was sitting, loose, on top of a metal bar and happily rattling away to itself over rough roads. Problem easily solved! Quite why it was loose is another little mystery but I suspect it has been like that for a while.

The not so good:
-I still have no idea what that coax connector is connected to or what it does. I have gone ahead and ordered the Amazon camera-on-a-wire endoscope thing and when it arrives I'll have a look under the headlining. I was quite unable to see inside without it.
-I now need a new rear near side tyre :(. I had had a slow puncture for a while (bloody potholes) and I had filled it with temporary gunk a month ago expecting it to fail at some time. My spirited driving today clearly was that time. Literally as I came back into the drive from the final test run the warning light came on and told me it was low and getting lower. It sat there quietly hissing and deflating as I looked on. Mercifully in my own drive. Bugger. That's going to be the thick end of £200.

So, two steps forward, one step back. Progress, of a sort..

Reactions: Dragos

·
Registered
159 Posts
The wire could be for something what you car does not have. They do not make wirekits for all the variants. Some main wire harnesses do have extra wires. Example my engine harness do have extra wires for parking sensors and heater windscreen washers (easy to retrofit as there was wires already and it was positive surprise during retrofit).

eg. TV antenna amplifier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts