Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have commented here about my dissatisfaction with JLR's maps. This is, no doubt, as my MY18 XE isn't the latest. But it's also because car manufacturers are not committing the same resources to this as the US cloud hyperscalers, who innovate faster. (I am biased as I work for one of them.)

When I saw this 'Harry's garage' video (posted by mdem, I think), it inspired me to look again at the aftermarket. Of note is 5:30-7:30, a couple of minutes.

I am very glad I did! There are some cracking products coming to market now, no doubt because there are a lot of people who don't want to upgrade their car simply for a new screen. So in much same way as you can refresh a large 5 year old TV screen with an Amazon Firestick, you can update a car LCD screen with a decent map system that is streamed over the network to your phone. In my case, Android Auto and its version of Google Maps.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this kit from Dawlish (Cornwall) based Unique Auto Developments, who were really excellent through the whole process. Instant support when I needed it (twice). Bravo! They are very much geared up for self-installation.

I'll add some pics, but initial report after 2 days is that it works and does more than I expected. It's very impressive!

And the installer (me) needs more experience in doing this stuff. ;) Taking major bits of trim off tested me quite a bit. I had moments of despair. Next time it would be easier.

The unplanned bonus is that I had to remove the glovebox so replaced the air pollen filter too, which was absolutely filthy. A fiddly 9 screw job.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the shipped kit.
Rectangle Everyday carry Fashion accessory Electronics accessory Titanium
Watch Clock Gadget Font Gas

And some time into the dis-assembly
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Grille
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I gave up on night one as I plugged everything in and was greeted with no additional screen. So I contact Unique Auto Developments and they suggested some dip switch settings that were not actually in the instructions. It worked immediately. :)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel
Vehicle Automotive design Car Radio Motor vehicle

Delighted with myself I then discovered that audio was not working.

I spent ages fiddling with this audio wire into the new box.
Hand Hood Gadget Finger Electrical wiring

So another contact (email in this case) and the immediate answer was simple "Don't worry about that. Just set input to AUX in the Jaguar screens" ;)

So now the new system works and presents some nice feed options. I like Youtube Music, personally, but you can choose your preferred option.
Vehicle Car Gear shift Radio Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle White

But most importantly, it brings full Android Auto (or Apple Carplay) Maps in, with voice recognition (which comes from the new mic).
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Radio Satellite radio
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Steering wheel

Reactions: seandlacey

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have even responded to WhatsApp messages with voice response. Its speech-to-text works very well. Impressive. (A mic comes as part of the kit and you simply put it somewhere sensible out of direct sight.)
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Radio Automotive design

There are also audio system settings that are welcome, but expose how poor the non-Meridian system is, to be honest. It's ok, but not an audiophile's dream.
(I have recently been updating my hifi with a new turntable and amp so probably am being picky.)
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Radio
Car Radio Vehicle Motor vehicle Satellite radio

Overall, it's a really great update for anyone with the desire for later software than JLR are making available.
(I had given up on their maps, which were out of date and just not as reliable with traffic updates.)

The UK reseller is excellent too, from my experience.
Anyone thinking about this, I'd say there are some good upgrades out there now, so don't think it cannot be done..

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers. I suspect there are a few people on the fence with this sort of thing.
If Harry can take the time to talk about it, I felt the least I can do is the same. It may help someone.

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
721 Posts
Yes good write up 👍 might be worth having this pinned for others in future to find more readily 👍👍

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dawlish was in Devon last time I was there......! (Being pedantic)
J.C.
Quite right. I'm out by 20 miles or so, I guess!
It's all a bit of a mystery to me once you get to Bristol.;) Apologies to anyone local. On the occasions I have been that far it has been quite lovely.

IDCORE (who make the devices) do their R&D in the UK, so this is a British product, which is always nice.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An addendum, having lived with this for a short time.

If you pair your phone to both the IDCORE and Jaguar Bluetooth, the system uses Jaguar's microphones (and speakers) for phone calls, and uses the new mic (which can be placed wherever you like) only for voice interaction with the Google assistant/Siri (various functions for that, inc map search, voice dialling). It switches the mic (to the superior Jaguar one) once a phone call is established. A nice touch.

There is a 17 page thread at the Land Rover forum where people have been fumbling around this issue. And the truth is, follow the instructions to the letter. RTFM!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts