Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long got off the phone with JLR service about cost of wear and tear parts,ie brakes.
£500 for a set of front pads,estimated to replace every 12k!!
New set of tyres by 25k....normal driving,A and B roads plus motorway.

Does this sound right?

Second service center echoed the first.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know....makes the maintainance pack seem essential.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What make of tyres are being fitted heard it was Pirellis , last time I had Pirellis on a BMW had to change them fairly quickly if my memory serves me well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could it be that the brake job includes new discs - I have seen it reported that because the pads no longer contain asbestos, the disks are made "softer" so that the pads do the same job. Also, it is generally considered that the rear pads/discs will need replacing long before the fronts because they are not used as much and any corrosion doesn't get rubbed off so they erode away quicker (see Honest John in the Telegraph). Even then, £500 seems a bit toppy for four brakes.

Anyway, I would expect brakes, tyres, etc to be classed as fair wear and tear and not covered by any service plan.

Having said that, I managed almost 80,000 miles in my X Type on the original pads and discs, and there was still plenty of meat on them. I've done 46,000 in the BMW - same story. Ditto Toyota at 55,000 miles (although it does have an electric brake arrangement which seems to help). I don't hang about either. The majority of my miles has been motorway driving though - lots of miles at 50mph on cruise control, giving ample time read the half baked notices that someone puts up.

Ian

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be a maintainance pack which covers wear and tear on tyres brakes etc etc Ian.
Cost over 60mth term is £3000,this includeds servicing and brakedown cover.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes me wonder why JLR dealers are telling me this... :(

·
Registered
505 Posts
That sounds a bit more like it, although 3 grand is a big chunk of money to fork out up front. However, breakdown cover is free for the first three years and I get a very good deal from the RAC anyway. I'm very wary because we took out a maintenance agreement on one of the Toyotas and they became all uppity when we got to the second service ahead of time, and that put me off a bit. I had Green Flag once, with a new Citroen and they were brilliant on the odd occasion I needed to call them out.

Is the package you mention via Jaguar or an after market provider - I can see the benefits of a maintenance pack that covered tyres as I live out in the sticks and there are more potholes than road, but I suppose it depends on cost of tyre replacement etc.. It is certainly an option I would consider at the right price. I paid around £3000 for an extra 3 years warranty on my X Type and spent about £500 of it on a replacement sensor so it wasn't such a good deal - £2500 to feel secure for three years, but on a modern car you only need one of electronics systems to pack up and you'd be bankrupted...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know it's not the same car and eventually not the same pads / discs, but my Volvo V40 150PS is now 35000km and I'm still on the factory pads and discs, front and rear. The pads might be changed soon, but they're still OK. As far as tyres are concerned, the rears are quite fine still, the fronts need to be replaced. They're Pirelli P7.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It Is relevant even tho it's a different car.
JLR seem to think that there quality tyres should only be good for 20k....and brakes last about a year.....I have a 5year old tdi golf that has needed one new tire...thats all....
I understand jaguar is a premium brand and parts are not cheap but why the mis-infomation?!

·
Registered
505 Posts
And I've had close to 30000 miles on the front - ie driving - tyres on both of the Prius's we have owned. For some reason, the tyres are expensive - special to the car for low rolling resistance and tracked straight also to reduce rolling resistance. They are no boy racer's car though although it is, shall we say, interesting, when the engine stops and the battery carries on at 70mph on a motorway !!

·
Registered
799 Posts
My brakes are larger than even those on the XE S and pads are not that expensive on mine. 30k on front pads changed discs at 55k and just now at 135k. Pair of front discs £460 pads around £120.

Tyres last very well on rwd cars. I get 25-30k per axle even with ridiculously high torque and some track days.

Compared to my last fwd car which would shred front tyres every 6k

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your advice guys

Still not sure,maybe I should go for the pack...peace of mind an Al that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would take the service pack if keeping the car for 3 years or more, but the maintenance pack sounds a little mad.

On my M135 i've now done 18k miles, and have just swapped out all 4 tyres at 17.5k (total cost was £494..ouch!) but the brakes/pads have not needed any attention, and it won't need a service until 21k (at which point i'll have traded it in for my XE..I hope!)

Thats on a sub 5 second RWD car which supposedly eats tyres and brakes for breakfast. I can't see how a vastly slower XE could do so few miles before needing a change. I would not expect to need to have a service or to change any wear+tear items within the first 2 years/20k of ownership.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am also not expecting suprises before 20k which will be my tyre replacement. At 25k possible the brakes and pads.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Service is just service.
Maintenance covers service mot and Wear and tear,plus acts like an extended warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts