Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the group test in What Car. XE 180 Prestige / C-Class C300h Sport / 5 Series 520d SE all autos. Conclusion is that the BMW is still the best executive car around. Is it me or should the test have been with the 3 Series 320d and the C200 Bluetec? Surely this is not a good comparison for interior dimensions extra. Will they put the new 3 Series against the new XF for example. I know the new 3 Series is not available yet, but why not wait and have a group test with the new A4 included. Guess I must be missing something here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
5 series is exec
3 series is compact exec as are the rest if the test group.

·
Registered
799 Posts
tobes said:
5 series is exec and wins against other larger cars anyway in group tests.
3 series is compact exec as are the rest if the test group.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read that review and thought the same.

Yes, it's interesting that a 5 series is the same price as a mid-spec XE, but I didn't want a car that big. Even the XE is wider than I'd prefer for the underground car park at work. Likewise I could have leased an Audi A6 Ultra for the same price as my XE but I didn't even consider it. Plus I wanted a JAg :D

New XF should answer most of the reasons why they picked the 5 over the XE.

·
Registered
799 Posts
gsb1970 said:
Question is,would you buy a 5series or wait for the new xf?

Class D is a toss up between the XE and new 3series.
5 series ☺

·
Registered
799 Posts
gsb1970 said:
judas.... X(

:D
Lol I have a 5 series now and will be keeping it.

If I had 49k I'd be buying a new one. It has been my best car ever. But the xe might suprise me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That c class is a diesel hybrid too.....odd set to compare if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I think it was all they could get hold of.
What car say xe is better than 3series head to head...pretty face-lift model that is.

For me it's horses for courses.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes. I read that test. It reminded me why I don't buy such magazines any more.

"Let's compare a big car and a small car. The bigger car is bigger than the smaller car. If you want a bigger car, buy the bigger one. If you'd rather have a smaller car, watch out for the size, make sure you're looking at something smaller. If you buy a cheaper bigger car, you might be able to get one for the same price as a more expensive smaller car"

I'm only exaggerating a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a quick look at the group test in the magazine today. The comparison makes no sense. They say they didn't test the XE against the 3 series as the new one isn't available yet - so if the 5 series was being updated soon, would they use a 7 series? Clearly the 3 series is the correct comparison (I have a 320ed auto at the moment with a Prestige 180 auto on order - company cars) and the test could be updated when the new 3 is on the road. The C class was a much more expensive model - should have been the 220 Bluetec as others have said. The 45mpg fuel consumption figure is strange as well. I regularly get upper 50's and 60 plus on a run with my 320ed and I see no reason why the XE shouldn't give good mpg figures

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.