Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh Dear a Problem

We've been looking for a new car for my partner to replace her C Class Merc Coupe. Thought we'd settled on the XE Portfolio (Petrol) and put a deposit down (Subject to Test Drive) which we took at the weekend using an R Sport 2.0d.

Test went well with one exception, whilst not particularly short she was a little uncomfortable at not being able to see all of the front of the car even with the seat raised to max height. As I assume the seat height will be the same for the Portfolio edition this caused her some concern particularly with regard to parking. Only solution I could come up with was to go for the Parking Pack option which added front sensors and that seemed to resolve the issue.

So everything fine and we were just about to confirm the order and we get told that changing the order at this stage will put our delivery back 9-10 weeks and they'll want to revalue the Part Ex offer on the Merc. So I assume that they'll drop their original offer considerably knowing they've got a sale.

To compound the issue I believe the new BMW 3 will be available and would need to be considered.

Flaming nuisance might just go for a new C Class, anyone any ideas, could the parking pack be fitted by the garage?

Biscuit

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got the parking pack on my order from March and mine seems to be further out than everyone else. So I suspect this is a feature that cannot be added post sale.

·
Registered
134 Posts
All jags are like this but you get used to it after a few days :) The xe does sit low but from my test drive i didnt have a problem with visibility and im not the tallest either 5ft4 btw the bmw has the same issue and you would have to ask your dealer about fitting the sensors after they probably will but it will be costly :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Biscuit, can't help feeling that your dealer isn't playing straight with you!
Did you actually specify that your order was subject to a test drive? If so, then it wasn't a confirmed order so I can't imagine he would have put forward your order as firm, perhaps only as a reservation, but since Jaguar have taken more orders, at the moment, than they even dreamed of, I can't believe they would accept a provisional order from a dealer.
Did you pay a deposit? If so and the dealer insists that you gave him an order you might lose the deposit if you cancel.
May I suggest that you book another test drive and use it for your wife to practice parking. I am surprised that you say she cannot see the front of the car. I don't think I've actually been able to see the front of a car that I've been driving for many years. I'd be interested to know if anybody can. I think jimbobc is probably right "I think she will get used to it very quickly". There's always a 'running in' period for everybody when they drive a different car to what they're used to. Some can adapt quicker than others.
Regarding retrofitting the Parking Pack, I suspect Jaguar would frown on that and say no. However, there are companies out there that can fit parking sensors and maybe cameras but they probably wouldn't be Jaguar approved and that may affect the warranty. It could well be an expensive option especially if you wanted it connected to the XE's touch screen.
Regarding the part-ex for your Merc - Have you been given a delivery date for your (I assume) XE order? I would anticipate that you haven't been given a fixed value anyway for your Merc - so negotiate.
Jaguar are aiming to sell 67,000 units world wide in the first year, a large percentage in the UK, so every order counts. Every dealer has a target to meet. But of course you need to decide exactly what you want before you can negotiate positively.
I know that Jaguar dealers are not spaced geographically very close, but it might be worth trying another dealer before you make a final decision and even get another test drive!
Hope you make the right decision, after all you really do want an XE - don't ya !

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it helps I'm 6'3 and currently in the BMW I have I cannot see the front bumper. Front parking sensors should be standard on a car like this anyway.,..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All

Many thanks for your advice, to cut a long story short we've decided to go ahead and forget the front parking assist, so it's due 10th July and like many we've been told it could be earlier (I assume Jaguar are now working a full 3 shifts).

One final hiccup on the deal was that we asked for a spare wheel, and were originally told that this would be added after the test drive. Today we get told that once again, if we want it, we go to the back of the queue. Though it could be fitted by the dealer on arrival at £450+ (against the factory fitted £150).

All in All a rather tainted purchase, just hope that the car proves to be all we hope.

XES Owner: Yes the dealer gave us a fixed price on the Merc on 2nd April and yes the deposit paid on the same day was fully refundable if we changed our mind once we had the test drive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure all in this forum will applaud your decision to purchase.

I fully understand your comment 'tainted purchase' and like you sincerely hope the car turns out to be a star.

I'm just waiting to see what comes out the woodwork, by way of hidden costs, during the ownership of my XE !
For instance maintenance of all the electronic gismos.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with XES something isn't right. If you had placed a deposit for a car subject to test drive and then after that gave the ok then fine. To push the car back by 10 weeks because of a parking pack points the finger at the factory. I ordered my car months ago and made a lot of changes over that time up until the cut off date when it's locked into the system.

On the matter of the spare wheel. I too ordered one from the factory which is a massive saving over the dealer after fit. You also have to purchase the tyre. If you asked for it and the dealer forgot to add it that's their problem. Ask them to pay the difference. Ask also when your cutoff date was for changes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
BAIKAR, I hope your retailer didn't charge you for a tyre for a factory fit spare, as the price quoted in their price list of £150 is for tyre and rim. The reason, that it is priced at £150 and not £450 as for the retro-fit, is the factory fit spare does not come with the tyre repair kit, hence the £300 difference is for the omission.

Did you ever get a response to your question about the 'cutoff date'?

·
Registered
359 Posts
No I didn't. I selected the factory fit option. I think the tyre repair systems are very good but I much prefer the option of changing a wheel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after weeks of agonising, we've changed our mind with the resulting impact on delivery, though to be honest it wasn't as bad as expected. Our original order was 240PS Portfolio in Ammonite Grey Metallic, light oyster trim with heated steering wheel and was due for delivery 17 July. We've now updated the spec to

240PS Portfolio in Ammonite Grey Metallic, light oyster trim, power fold mirrors, power lumbar, spare space saver wheel, 40-20-40 split seats and the parking pack. Delivery now 21 August.

This would have been our most expensive car we've ever bought and as we head into retirement in 2-3 years I expect the next car to be a downgrade. So after much soul searching we've taken the hit and now have a cars we really are happy with. Just a pity we didn't bite the bullet and update it earlier.

I believe the dealer who has been very helpful had a stock model on order and was happy to switch it with ours hence the reduced impact on delivery

So now I'm Happy, no Very Happy, OK I'd still have liked a better designed rear seat release mechanism, but I've decided not to compromise and get the car I really wanted.

Happy Days

Biscuit

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good news Biscuit and pleased it has turned out well for you. :)

This said, I find it all disconcerting, having ordered a similar spec on 5 June, also a reconfigured scheduled stock car, but been given a December delivery date. There are various threads on this site covering build and delivery dates, some with good news, like yours and others with delays and frustrations like mine. Among the posts is dealer supplied info that Jaguar has halted all stock deliveries to focus on confirmed purchases, which I also verified face to face with a dealer other than my contracted supplier, who said that they were placing new orders as opposed to amending scheduled stock vehicles and indicated a late Sept, more likely October delivery, if I ordered now. Still awaiting response from my contracted dealer on this aspect.

It seems somewhat shambolic, but is it Jaguar or dealer shambolic?

Wonder if I can upload a music track: The Good, bad & Ugly comes to mind. @-)

·
Registered
799 Posts
XFFan said:
If it helps I'm 6'3 and currently in the BMW I have I cannot see the front bumper. Front parking sensors should be standard on a car like this anyway.,..
Like you I'm fairly tall (6'2) and cannot see the front of my car or any previous car as you can never see the bumpers or for that matter any bonnet that tapers. But never had an issue driving or parking.

Admittedly have all round sensors on current car but wasn't an option I added.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts