Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think most / all of us are shocked at some of the things not standard for a premium brand vehicle. Apart from the downright cheap skate (no warning triangle or first aid kit), to the "everyone else gets one" to the "well that would have been nice as standard" - what things do you think Jaguar should have had on the spec sheet from the start?

For me split rear seats are a cheeky option, especially as the boot is a bit smaller than the Germans versions, also think front parking sensors should be in there. My wife's Insignia has them, handwriting recognition and more as standard!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As above.

Heated windscreen ! My XS Defender had it as standard and on the current Defender it was an option and far cheaper than the XE price.

Powerfold mirrors would also be good, I am still trying to work out why there are two different mirror options listed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've come from a 98 Vectra so almost everything that is standard on a Portfolio seems "lush" to me (to quote my 13-year-old).

I'm disappointed that the configurator is too vague to really understand everything you do or don't get and bitterly disappointed that the dealers appear so uninformed. This has led to not having the split rear seats that really should be standard.

I heard JLR are surprised how few orders there have been of the SE & Prestige models and I think it's simply because by the time you add the "must haves" to the SE/Prestige you realise you might as well get the R or Portfolio.

·
Registered
799 Posts
4g with streaming ability not a shoddy SD card

Drivers side glove box (didn't notice one in the xe I tried)

First aid heated screen hazard triangle etc as listed above

Twin turbo engines as they are behind the competition.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Split fold rear seats and heated windscreen are standard on so many vehicles, but not the XE!

Also £30k + car and yet Jag don't even bother to finish the exhaust tail pipes off with a chrome or stainless trim :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have added to my portfolio order 14x14 seats to get lumbar support, power folding mirrors and BSM, privacy glass, Parking pack to get front sensors and camera, split/folding rear seats....in all honesty on the top level trim perhaps I would have expected to pay for privacy glass as an option, the others certainly not. I have slight concerns about about function and practicality of the infotainment compared to what I have now and think the Incontrol apps most likely an unnecessary gimmick....

I haven't paid for ACC, but it should be standard IMHO at least on the autos.

I don't drive a "premium brand" currently, I have a 4 year old Skoda Superb and the new Suprb just released aims to be the most technologically advanced in its class, the spec is darn right awesome. If I no longer needed such a large car and Skoda had not increased there prices so there is no longer such a huge differentiation with the other VAG brands, then I may well have not even given a thought to other manufacturers.

That said I'm not sure that these things are the reason to buy the XE, although admittedly for the price they would be nice "sweeteners".......with the XE its really the drive and the extra prestige, and I don't think there is much to compare in the same class. I know some folk love the BMW 3 series, but I must not be there target audience as I was seriously underwhelmed by it...I expect to have an inane smile on my face every time I get in my XE (when it finally arrives!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Compared to something like an equivalent 4 series, the spec is quite generous, and the options aren't necessarily that expensive (comparably), though I do agree there are some odd omissions. The ones that stuck out most for me:

- Stainless exhaust tips
- Folding rear seats
- 'basic' electric seats

But speccing up an equivalent BMW or Merc does seem to be at least as expensive, so it's not that bad value, I think Jag just got their priorities a little wrong in some places. Also if you compare this to a non-prestige brand it is expensive; a friend was speccing up a Mondeo the other night, and most of the options are significantly cheaper. That said, the interior is cheaper, the handing isn't as good, the auto box isn't as good, the badge is definitely not as good etc :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Powerfolding mirrors are pretty much standard on many much cheaper cars, as are things like front parking sensors, and these things would be trivial in terms of cost if they were built in as standard instead of added as extras. I presume this is just a matter of adding 'value' (i.e. cost to us) to the basic price.
I was astounded that I had to pay for a (fairly crudely implemented) folding rear seat in a car with a small boot. I don't really care about it being 40/20/40, but having the ability to carry a long item sometimes is necessary for many people. That said, the reason I hadn't bought an XF previously was partly because there wasn't even the option of paying for a folding rear seat at that point, so having it as a cost option was better than nothing. Can't believe it really costs 400 quid *more* than a normal seat to fit it though.
Many other things seem to be present, but I do baulk at the idea of having to pay extra to have any car painted, especially in this price range (even if some of the colours do look great).
I hope the electronics (satnav, phone connection, etc) prove to be adequate, despite some issues being identified in other posts here: It shouldn't be beyond a 'premium' car manufacturer to get these things right first time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only thing I think it's missing as standard, is the split fold seats. That really surprised me.

Everything else..well it comes with much MORE than I would expect. Surprised to see things like nav as standard. I for one am really happy that a heated screen is not standard too - they are great in winter but the lines drive me mad in the summer..

I have come from a BMW though, where you are lucky if you get seats as standard ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bmw seem to offer very similar spec give or take a few items on both sides.

New 3 series is very well equipped for items I'd personally chose and is already making some new xe features outdated which weeks after launch is a little embarrassing.

Can't fault the xe chasis but this thread does relate to equipment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
tobes said:
Bmw seem to offer very similar spec give or take a few items on both sides.
Only on very specific models and generally with a basic vs advanced feature - on sat nav for example most BMWs only come with business media as standard, or more typically no nav at all. The "pro" navigation is comparable to Jaguars (business is not) but it is a £900-£2000 option depending on which base BMW spec you choose. The "inControl" remote app equivalent is an option too.

Spec for spec in the UK the 3 series is more expensive than the XE by a decent margin, on the petrol's at least

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think the new 3 series is specced a little different. All with nav.
Not sure anyone seems to rate the xe nav any higher than other existing systems. So not sure why you think it equates to pro.

Bmw equivalent to incontrol does cost £410 but includes online streaming services including google/internet, full incontrol services and a 24/7 personal assistant who can even stream info direct to your car. Lasts for 3 years which is the same as the free length of the xe incontrol. Sounds well worth 410 quid to me for a service which out dates the xe's offering.

We've discussed this before........

Thread relates to what's not included that's standard elsewhere. Not many here would add some of the xe standard equipment to another car if not wanted.

They've missed some basics no show stoppers but should of been included.

Sorry to hear seats on an m135 were down to luck. Your post reads like a 1990 318is. Times change

·
Registered
212 Posts
What they've done is match the Germans for spec and options. Compare an Audi A3 to a Golf and there is way more standard kit on the Golf - cruise control is a good case in point. At least things like sat nav, cruise control and real leather seats are standard on Prestige.

What shocked me is that so many of the basic options aren't included on R-Sport and Portfolio e.g. Split fold seats and power mirrors. My Prestige is specced to similar price to Portfolio but I would have had to add nearly all of the same options to the Portfolio.

It doesn't seemed to have harmed sales but at some point they may need to consider a 'business edition' that bundles some of this stuff as standard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.