Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone fully understand what happens when Dynamic Mode is chosen?

I realised the car becomes better in handling, but the manual does not exactly describe what is changed.

Maybe some former XF owners understand what changes?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Throttle response, possibly richness of fuel, traction control settings, any variable suspension is lowered and tightened.

Plus on an automatic kick down is faster and revs held longer in gears before changing up.

I think those are generally the things that change. How noticeable it is depends on how you drive and the cars overall performance. Dynamic mode in some cars doesn't feel all that different.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All of the above I think.

I took an XE S out for a test drive last week and felt quite a difference when Dynamic mode was selected - the car was noticeably sharper and pulled away from a standing start surprisingly quickly (I had to brake a few times when entering roundabouts so as not to go up the ar$e of the car in front).

My current car is an XF, 4 cylinder diesel. I'll need to get used to the (far quicker) throttle response in a V6 petrol... :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Haven't a clue what the technical answer is and would bow to Tobes on that point but WOW, on the XF it certainly makes a difference; the suspension tightens up and the whole drive experience changes and the acceleration is something else to even the Sports mode. My one fear with the XE was losing that sensation with stepping down from the 3L engine (XE-S too expensive), thus had to select 240 petrol with faster headline acceleration; I can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On the XF 3.0, the throttle response is immediate, no turbo lag at all, and the engine revs up to the redline before changing up. I've not noticed any change in the suspension, but performance wise it changes into a beast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with tobes on what changes when you switch modes. I tested it when test-driving the XE, and the difference between various modes is clear as soon as you switch them on / off.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the suspension: I don't know if the adaptive dampers on the XE are affected by the driving mode selected or if they're only working on their own by analyzing the way you use the pedals and steering plus your speed. The explanations from Jaguar aren't very clear about this in my opinion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dynamic mode is great! In the city I select Standard mode, but as soon as I leave the city my dashboard turns red (great view at night) . For me the difference is very noticeable. Steering and throttle response is very direct.

I don't use the S mode of the automatic gear that much, only when someone is challenging me for a "Traffic Light Drag-race" :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with Marc.

Cant see much difference with Normal and Eco but bizarrely getting better MPG on normal.

When switching to Dynamic, the response is sharper in turning and the ride firms up a little. When combining with S mode the ride is amazing. Car is so rev happy and responses instantly to everything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When in Sport Mode & combined with Dynamic mode the car "will not gear up at all".. You can hold the gear on the red line all the way home in first gear and it will just sit.. HOWEVER THAT SAID BY JAGUAR, I in fact tried this as coming from a manual I love having full control over my gears, but the car did gear up every time? - hard to play too hard on a test drive but the car didn't do what it was meant to?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Page 135 of owners manual?>?

Note: During manual gear selection, see 106,
MANUAL GEAR SELECTION, with Dynamic
driving mode selected and the transmission in
Sport (S), the transmission up-shifts are fully
controlled by the driver. The transmission will
not change up automatically, even when the
engine's (revolutions per minute (rpm)) speed
limit is reached. The gear shift indicator warning
lamp will illuminate briefly, in the Message
centre, at the recommended (up-shift) gear
change point. See 54, GEAR SHIFT (GREEN).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mines an automatic gearbox. It definitely changed gear. I ran it home on snake pass in Derbyshire and didn't touch the paddles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like they never made this happen in the end?

Did you engage manual yourself by using the paddles?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 163 PS manual and I thought "what difference will dynamic make?" It makes a lot! In dynamic, the throttle is much more responsive and acceleration greater. In eco mode things are more gentle, but I have got over 70 mpg on several trips on busy motorways (so more like 50-60 mph than 70.)

And the dials go red in dynamic mode :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Dynamic mode tighten's up the gear ratio. The drive gets very aggressive and I dont like to use it in town purley because the car is seeking for a motorway plus you end up over the speed limit ai easy. Evo and normal does it for me and already in this mode it flys

·
Registered
799 Posts
Njco74 said:
The Dynamic mode tighten's up the gear ratio. The drive gets very aggressive and I dont like to use it in town purley because the car is seeking for a motorway plus you end up over the speed limit ai easy. Evo and normal does it for me and already in this mode it flys
With 300+ bhp I'd hope speed limits are easily surpassed in ANY mode ☺

·
Registered
799 Posts
Njco74 said:
Along with mpg
Who worries about mpg with a smile the size of yours when you put your foot down in that beast of a car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts