1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have my 163 R-Sport manual arriving in September - can't come soon enough

Question I have is about fuel
I am certain I read somewhere that Jaguar recommend using the performance diesel as opposed to the standard stuff
Could anyone clarify - and would there much of a difference, apart from the cost!

Thanks
Clive

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Lots of talk on the internet about whether the premium stuff is indeed better. Some claim better running and better MPG but I can never find anything concrete so stick to the regular stuff.

The Jag manual says to use premium fuel but then says at least 95RON which I understand to be the standard stuff in the UK but is lower in most other parts of the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies
Have downloaded the manual
So UK standard diesel seems to be sufficient
I'll have a more detailed read
Thanks again

·
Registered
425 Posts
A brief technical detail:

"EN590 describes the physical properties that all automotive diesel fuel must meet if it is to be sold in the UK, the rest of the European Union, Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.

EN590 and water contamination

Although EN590 covers numerous fuel characteristics, water content is the most relevant measure for fuel maintenance. To comply with EN590, fuel can contain no more than 200mg of water per kg of fuel.

This is an extremely demanding standard. 200mg of water per kg of fuel represents just 0.02% water contamination. Because modern biodiesel blends absorb water naturally (i.e. it is hygroscopic) it is practically impossible to adhere to the standard without using a water extraction process such as a polishing system or regular tank cleaning.

EN590 looks beyond water content

As the table below shows, EN590's requirements include the blending of up to 7% Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) biodiesel with conventional petrochemical diesel.

Property Unit Lower limit Upper limit
Cetane number 51.0
Sulphur content mg/kg 10.0
Flash point oC Above 55
Carbon residue %m/m 0.30
Ash content %m/m 0.01
Water content mg/kg 200
Total contamination mg/kg 24
Fatty Acid Methyl Ether (FAME) (biodiesel) content % v/v 7

EN590 and engine emissions

EN590 was introduced to coincide with the development of new emissions standards across the European Union. The overall goal has been to reduce the sulphur content of diesel fuel. Sulphur had been used as a lubricant in the fuel. Its role is taken by special additives in ULSD.

Since 2007, diesel that conforms to EN590 has been referred to as Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) in the European Union. The phrase "Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel" is governed by different standards in other parts of the world."

I think you'll find that generally there are two grades used in the UK - One for Summer, the other for Winter and sometimes mixed.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Using higher grade unleaded I used to get 20 miles more per 11 gallon tank

Using performance diesel I only get 15 more on a 12 gallon tank.

·
Registered
799 Posts
BAIKAR said:
I used to fill up with shell v power and the car really didn't like it. Changed to BP and all was well again.
V power is serious fuel. My bm indi guy told me not to use it in anything other than an M. Found that out after frying a cat.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's proper funny...I just compared the XE 163bhp portfolio diesel again a c-class Merc diesel hybrid I had considered....apparently I'd have to drive over 3 million miles to break even with the latter!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Was the merc on true mpg? XE only shows claimed figures when I tried.

I semi considered taking the i3 as company car and keeping my own as the i3 only costs £55 a month in co car tax. But it's hideous to look at.

How much is the merc?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry I just closed it :)
I have actually test driven one of the two c350e petrol hybrids that are in the country, when you look at the BIK as a company car it's crazily cheap.....BUT it only has a 19 mile electric range and is a plug-in hybrid. With my work place not investing in charging points and me being 19 miles from work with 11 of those motorway, combined with a smaller boot and having to carry the crappy cables, it just didn't seem practical. shame because I would say that car was luxury and it drove very very nice and smooth with buckets of power to spare....290 something bhp I think.

The c220d and c300h variants just work out too expensive for me though as a company car buyer. The Jag is sitting neatly between and ticks a lot of boxes for me...

·
Registered
359 Posts
tobes said:
BAIKAR said:
I used to fill up with shell v power and the car really didn't like it. Changed to BP and all was well again.
V power is serious fuel. My bm indi guy told me not to use it in anything other than an M. Found that out after frying a cat.
I would well believe it. I couldn't say it did any damage and it was a tuned engine. It did however develop a misfire which disappeared with a new tank full of BP which is all I will put in the Jag.

I hope I'm not alone on this one but even if the light is on I will drive past another fuel station to reach a BP. I've come close to running out of fuel on the hard shoulder a few too many times playing this game.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.