Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of XE two weeks ago and I am very pleased with it so far, except for two points. Used in the rain for first time and the wipers appear very flimsy for a quality car. When the rain is just a drizzle the wipers are very noisy and judder across the windscreen. Also the engine appears very noisy when accelerating, I put this down to it being my first diesel. Just wandered what others thoughts are of these areas, or is it just me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My 10 year old diesel is almost silent.

Not all diesels sound like diesels!

Windscreen wipers sound cheap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What do you mean by the engine being noisy when accelerating? Is it from outside or inside of the car?
Also, which engine is it?

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's 163 or 180 diesel.

He means inside the car.

My 535d accelerates to 60 flat out you hardly hear the engine.
My 2.0d avensis sounds like it's being raced the moment revs go over 3500

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, it looks like it's a trend nowadays then: the first thing that came to mind when I test-drove the Mercedes C Class C180 petrol is the noise of the engine inside the cabin as soon as I was accelerating. It was indeed quite noisy, more than in my Volvo V40 (petrol too). I felt like it was less noisy in the XE diesel, though, while test-driving it.

It's kind of subjective, but you definitely can hear the sound of the engine. Although my friends who were outside of the car told me the engine was quite silent for a diesel, from outside.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On the wipers: yes I agree they seem flimsy and yesterday was the first time I've used them extensively and indeed they were noisy but solely due to juddering on the driver's side. But by the time I'd got home (after 30mins) the juddering had stopped presumably because whatever was causing the stiction had worn off the windscreen. Today they've been quiet ... so far.

On the engine: I would say my 180 is a little "diesel noisy" at idle and initial acceleration only. Other than that its pretty undiesel like, its not silent but I don't think that was Jaguar's aim. Compared to other diesels I've had its quieter (including a 2.2 X-Type), but then that might just be hearing loss as a result of ageing :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I didn't know how it compared to the likes of the 3 series and C class equivalents for cabin noise,as I said this is my first diesel. As for the wipers I'll give them time. All said I think it is a great car and really enjoying driving it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
you should try cleaning the windscreen with some decent glass cleaner, the dealer could well have got wax or what have you on the windscreen, particularly if you paid for the paint protection treatment.

If its not that you should check there is no slack in the linkage (have a (quick google). Otherwise, how fast were you going? would the wipers benefit from changing to ones with a wind shield?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Clarkson tested cabin noise in my car on topgear

*whispers*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts