Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don't doubt for a second that it *could* happen. Computer security is not a concern to an auto maker because they don't understand it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally I don't worry too much about these things but as we know, the XE can be started etc remotely and as the car has a Sim card fitted it is worrying.

·
Registered
799 Posts
DMT66 said:
Normally I don't worry too much about these things but as we know, the XE can be started etc remotely and as the car has a Sim card fitted it is worrying.
Remote start has been around since the early 90's as an aftermarket fit and optional on some new cars for years. BMW for example has had start from key fob for a while.

As for similar cards in cars, each if mine since 2002 has had an inbuilt sim card. Never had an issue and never heard of an issue until your post today.

Not sure I'd worry about and besides more likely to be run off the road by an uninsured driver.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I know I shouldn't worry as I think the chances of happening to me are slim and as you say, there is probably more chance of trouble from an uninsured driver.

However, whilst sim cards in cars are not new what is, is the fact that hackers have now managed to hack into the cars system to take control of it. So in theory what could happen is that thieves may target your car, follow you, cause the car to break down and steal it or we have all heard of Crash For Cash, could be used here, I am sure there is a long list of things they could use this hack for.
I know it's all highly unlikely but just recently it was in the news about hackers being able to steal Range Rovers.

As you say, until today you'd never heard of any issues but that surely highlights how technology moves forward, 25 years ago you wouldn't have thought it was possible to be robbed of money by someone getting access to a bank account from am armchair. When I got my 1st iphone if someone had told me that in a few years you'd be able to unlock and start your car from it, I wouldn't have belived them.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think good old fashioned car jacking is more likely. Plus even if they stop you using a hack they still need the key in the car for it to move. Which they can get by other means anyway.

There are a lot of things you can worry about in life. A key to enjoying life is to worry about as few of them as possible. Besides Insurance deals with a lot of them and if they want your car to sell on they won't want to damage it. So if it ever happened get out and call a cab ☺

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not disaggreeing with all you say but my point was that more things are becoming possible now, I think if they have hacked into the system they can bypass needing a key.

Yes, there are a lot more worrying things in life but I did think this may be of interest to some on here which is why I posted it.

As for the insurance dealing with a lot of them, have you ever tried to claim for a stolen car?
Mine was stolen off the drive 18 months ago, the insurance 1st said did I have both sets of keys which i didn't as they broke in and stole the keys, the Police report stated nothing else was stolen so I was asked if I had left the car running to defrost it on the drive as it was in the winter and of course I hadn't and had to try and convince them this wasn't the case, luckily the police were able to give me a statement stating how the thieves broke in and confirm the time via CCTV footage. They also said that there had been reports of a car parked in the road 3 nights running in the middle of the night, it turned out to be the thieves watching what time I went to bed etc.
My point is that crime is not committed the old fashioned way all the time now and that car technology may actually make it easier to commit car crime.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ok now I'm understanding.

I thought you were worried car would be taken control of with you in it.

As fir modern methods plenty of cars stolen with scanners over last decade which apparently copy alarm or immobiliser signal. So slightly older tech but still happens.

Sorry to hear of your theft. My insurance actually went down when I selected park on street as it meant harder to know where keys are to be found.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I wasn't worried about that until you mentioned it :) Joking :)
I don't think there would be much point in someone taking control in normal circumstances, I think it would be even a bit high tech for a crash for cash scam.
It would be the theft aspect that would worry me, the salesman assured me it can't happen with Incontrol....
1 of the worst things about the theft was someone breaking in and me not hearing or even knowing until I couldn't find the keys and I did start to wonder if I'd left the keys in the front door!
It does make sense when you think about it, leaving your car on the street is probably safer in a lot of aspects compared to a drive where thieves aren't so public.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's the annual Black Hat conference coming up in Las Vegas so all these lab condition stories from hackers and the security industry will be rearing their heads again.
I would ignore it all, it is the industry preening itself like a peacock and hackers demonstrating how clever they have been. it happens every year and vehicles are a common target now. I fully expect a story about how people with a Nest Thermometer should avoid turning it above 24 degrees in case it unlocks their new car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To be honest if I worried about every story or concern posted on the Internet I would either have to live in car to protect it or not but it in first place to avoid the risk.

In real terms it probably will never happen to you if it does hey that's why insurance premiums are so high. Just my views.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wonder how long it would take them to hack someone else's Jeep?

Hope we don't end up receiving as many security updates as MS Windows :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.