Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Jaguar XE aluminium-bodied saloon turns out to weigh 1474kg in its lightest guise, which is only 21kg less than the equivalent steel-bodied, 1495kg BMW 3-series.

The lightest XE at launch is the 2.0-litre diesel equipped with a manual transmission. This version uses the new lightweight Ingenium engine. The petrol XE currently uses a Ford-derived unit, pending the arrival of an Ingenium version that should be lighter still.

At the Paris motor show, Jaguar's chief programme engineer Nick Miller explained that the XE is 75 per cent aluminium and 25 per cent steel, and therefore not as light as it could be, partly for reasons of weight distribution, and partly because there would be no fiscal benefit advantage in achieving a lower CO2 number than the car already has.

The bootlid and the rear section of the floor up to the leading edge of the rear seat cushion are steel in order to benefit weight distribution, which is 50:50 in the case of the four cylinder and 51:49 front:rear for the V6-engined version.

The doors are also steel, although Miller says that they could become aluminium if necessary.

Miller says that some of the weight-savings have been 'spent' on more sophisticated and heavier front and rear suspension layouts in the quest for dynamics superior to the Jaguar's competitors.

Source: Auto Car

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like they've went to an awful lot of time, trouble and expense (let alone the PR) to manufacture the XE in aluminium when I can't help but think it's not really been worth it?

Doesn't a spare wheel roughly weigh 20kg?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The aluminium structure is a great attraction - it could easily last for ever. No more rusty old chassis folding up over the jack, no more flaking old floors suddenly giving way. I can see the auctions in 50 years time - superb original 2015 vintage XE for sale £500,000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's EU6 compliant unlike the compatible 3 series... Ie a urea tank with fluid. Also the suspension is from the class above and therefore heavier. Title is misleading as the body itself a lot lighter surely.

Platform is also ready for bigger cars, XF has large weight saving claims over 5series for example.

·
Registered
799 Posts
JonnyVTEC said:
It's EU6 compliant unlike the compatible 3 series... Ie a urea tank with fluid
The 320d ed met EU6 in 2008 judging by this article which refers to EU6 coming in 2014. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/3series/touring/2008/allfacts/effdyn/blue_performance_.html

And this shows how many were EU6 compliant in 2013.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/m/pcgl/pressDetail.html?title=bmw-model-upgrade-measures-taking-effect-from-the-summer-of-2013&outputChannelId=6&id=T0141144EN&left_menu_item=node__4101&forceMobilePage=true

Their new model also offers the magic 99g CO2 with greater performance than the XE in auto or manual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The launch 3 series where that weight comes from wont have been EU6b with the tighter NOx and hence urea SCR (BluePerformance) that came in with the powertrain updates, and more specifically the F30 LCI.

I understand the 320d requires automatic transmission to meet 99g... The inverse of the XE where you need to stay with the entry spec manual.

·
Registered
799 Posts
JonnyVTEC said:
The launch 3 series where that weight comes from wont have been EU6b with the tighter NOx and hence urea SCR (BluePerformance) that came in with the powertrain updates, and more specifically the F30 LCI.

I understand the 320d requires automatic transmission to meet 99g... The inverse of the XE where you need to stay with the entry spec manual.
There was a distinct lack of a b in your earlier post, which is why I commented :eek:)

Yes I now see it's not the manual version as well, earlier reviews said both made the 99 milestone. So BMW are the first to make an auto that's more efficient than a manual and also with better performance judging by the stats.

Yes entry level spec on the XE gets the brownie points although reading a lot of posts many want an auto but get the manual as it is more efficient.

Just noticed their new truly automatic opening boot whilst looking for the CO2 figures. Cant wait to see some funky foot waving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts