Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i have second set of wheels for my XF as it is terrible in snow. Got them when we had really bad winter and they have been great, different car with them on in the winter.
Last few winters though could count on 1 hand how often we have had even mildly bad snow here in Glasgow, I know ASPC is not a replacement for winter tyres but what is thoughts on this if winters are fairly mild.
i dont really want to have another set of wheels for XE and was thinking of seeing how ASPC copes this winter then possibly just switching to winter tyres all year round if ASPC is naff.
Looking at winter tyres in summer, it seems the performance difference is fairly negligible now, i only do around 8,000 miles per year so slightly greater wear not an issue (and frankly the Pirelli's Jag uses are not longest lasting tyres anyway).

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife has a build slot booked for a XE R-Sport and being from Edinburgh we had the same worry. Her current Lexus IS is useless is the snow!

The new Michelin CrossClimate tyres may be an option. All Season tyres have always had a slight compromise in summer and winter, i.e they were just reasonable all year round. But the new CrossClimate is a full summer tyre with winter certification. The are only available in smaller rim sizes at the moment, but by the time winter comes, the larger rim sizes should be available.

My daughter has a set fitted to her Ibiza, and so far so good in sun and wet, but the big snow test has not happened yet.

Evo magazine have done a test that you can see here

http://www.evo.co.uk/track-and-travel/15600/michelin-cross-climate-tested-in-the-alps

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I spoke to my local Ats.
They can store tyres for £7.50 per wheel even if I don't buy tyres from them.fitting is £10 per wheel.

Am considering buying some winter tyres not just for safety but to prolong the life of the summer tyres.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GreboDB, the cross climates do look like an improvement to all season. XF is rubbish in snow with summer tyres but fantastic with winter Tyres which i have on another set of XF Venus Alloys. i dont have storage issue and changing them over is not too much bother but with mileage i do i am thinking that an all season which performs well on snow would be ideal, especially with the XE's ASPC.
Based on past two years, i could have managed without winters, probably need them on just 2 or 3 days each year whereas 2010 and 2011 were pretty harsh winters in Glasgow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.