Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't believe handle to release rear seats in xe.
looks like something you would find in early morris minor.
also car test of xe merc and bmw.
bmw model 420 gran coupe.
not 3 series
how many peiple have compared xe to 4 series
!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just seen it on the video, looks awful. Didn't have enough time during the test drive to spot it.

Biscuit

·
Registered
425 Posts
You're right the seat releases do look a bit amateurish. I wonder if that was a pre production model and will have improved it now they are mass producing. Hmm I bet not !

Surely the 420 gran coupe is a two door 3 series !

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just test driven the 180hp. The switches where there, so definitely not a pre-production "feature". Pretty ridiculous, especially when I compare how this is handled in my current Audi.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, its very poor quality and it does rattle around. I have a 6 year old golf and the seat releases are far easier to get at and more robust. To top it all you have to pay around £400 for them as split fold seats aren't standard!
Having said all that I've ordered them on mine!

·
Registered
799 Posts
BAIKAR said:
They will be standard on all cars not just the £400 option as the normal seats fold down too.
is this true?

I nearly had a wife wanting a divorce when I told her our new company car (XE) wouldn't have folding seats. Couldn't get any options on my company car so it's standard.

PS they are the worst folding down components I have ever seen. My 1983 Vauxhall Nova SR had a better system lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Look like you right. Just had a look at the drivers manual and its dependant on spec. I thought the £400 option was to have the 40:20:40 split and not 60:40 as in most cars. At least we won't have those awful looking release knobs.

I love this quote from the manual

Before folding a rear seat, make sure that the seat is not occupied and that no person has any part of their body on the seat cushion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could be my memory but I seem to recall my X-type sport had the same arrangement but the pull handles were black and located to the sides of the upper boot opening. Maybe Jaguar wanted to retain just a little bit of history from the previous model :))

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your right, my x type had the same. Bit of a sketch at times, pull knob, walk around to passenger doors, pull on seat backs, walk back to boot, pull knob again, repeat until bored!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes that standard seats do not fold down - I checked before shelling out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lancaster Jaguar in Reading told me today that regular third/two thirds split folding seats are fitted in all cars, the 40/20/40 being an option if you wanted more flexibility. Having said that I did read an Autocar review that said they were fixed.

I'd like to be sure before I order.

That release looks just like the choke on my 1963 mini.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Seems to be a lot of different information going on here. I think the dealers are as confused as we are. I'm guessing when they've been to see the car that it had been configured with the folding rear seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looking at some photos, there are certainly configurations that don't have the release 'handles' and I can't see a 60:40 split in the rear seats to indicate that it had such a split.

I wouldn't imagine they would introduce a different release mechanism for a 60:40 split rear seat, so I would have expected to see the release monstrosity persist on all photos?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitely 40:20:40 only, fixed unless chosen as an option, seen both cars today.

Unfortunately, the cars I've seen in the showroom look just like the pic above...... do they really leave that exposed metal in the boot if you have this option... looks like a real DIY job and not a patch on Audi/BMW solution.

Having said that, I had a few goes at operating it and it feels and works just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.