Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, another new member here. I'm going for a test drive this week and want a 2 litre petrol version. I've recently heard that the new models will be fitted with an old Ford engine that returns pretty bad economy. The new Jaguar engine won't be available until next year. Any views?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Old Ford engine but also proven reliable technology. No-one knows what will happen with the Ingenium diesels let alone any future petrols. Maybe great, maybe not. The Ford is a good engine.

As for economy, it depends on how many miles you do a year. The Petrol XE is significantly cheaper. I did a "fuel calculator" at Honest John and it reckoned I had to do 70000 miles in the diesel before it would start to be cheaper to run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've ordered a petrol XE,mainly because I only do 5-6k miles per year now. Diesel engines need to be doing long journeys in order to keep the DPF system working effectively. Short journeys can lead to problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I debated this for a while as the MPG quoted isn't great for the petrol and that's under test conditions. The emissions are not too good either of course. In the end I decided that doing 10k miles per year with the extra costs that come with a diesel meant the petrol was the best bet for me. A compromise but the XE surpasses anything else I've seen so well worth it.

I test drove the 240 yesterday and it was immense. Have ordered the 200 (didn't have one to test) so I'm hoping it's still going to put a smile on my face. The demonstrator blew my old 320i coupe out of the water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tallrick said:
I debated this for a while as the MPG quoted isn't great for the petrol and that's under test conditions. The emissions are not too good either of course. In the end I decided that doing 10k miles per year with the extra costs that come with a diesel meant the petrol was the best bet for me. A compromise but the XE surpasses anything else I've seen so well worth it.

I test drove the 240 yesterday and it was immense. Have ordered the 200 (didn't have one to test) so I'm hoping it's still going to put a smile on my face. The demonstrator blew my old 320i coupe out of the water.
Same here. 240 seemed too much extra and I'm guessing it is just a remap enginewise so probably available as an after fit if I am that desperate for extra performance (unlikely). Getting mine within the month so I'm promised. Bought via local contract hire company on a PCP . Deposit, three years payments and then buying price at the end = list price quoted by Coventry dealer. I see elsewhere people are saying they got a 5% discount so I guess I have missed out on that but happy to keep some cash in the bank for a few years!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.