Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DUNLOP

"Dunlop has announced that a number of its tyres are approved fitments on the new Jaguar XE. With the XE coming with range of tyre and wheel fitments depending on the trim selected, Dunlop is providing five fitments in total.

These are the Dunlop BluResponse J in 205/55R17 95Y XL and the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT J in sizes 225/50R17 98 Y XL, 225/45R18 95 Y XL, 225/40R19 93 Y XL and 255/35R19 96 Y XL. All of these tyres are J marked, indicating specially developed tyres by Dunlop for Jaguar.

The multi-award winning Dunlop BluResponse is based on track derived polymers designed for wet grip amongst other things. The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT is built to deliver motorsports grip and braking performance for a dynamic driving experience. These characteristics are said to match the Jaguar XE to assist in enhancing performance on the road.

Nick Harley, managing director Original Equipment Consumer EMEA for Dunlop said: "We are pleased and proud to continue to supply to Jaguar, especially on this attractive new vehicle. We supplied the first ever Jaguar with tyres and this is a relationship that continues to grow year on year. The new XE is the most advanced, efficient and refined sports saloon car that Jaguar has ever produced and Dunlop tyres go hand in hand with the vehicles' enhanced dynamics"

PIRELLI

Jaguar has chosen the Pirelli P Zero as the sole 20-inch fitment for the new Jaguar XE.

Jaguar was looking for stability at high speeds and good reactions in the wet from the tyre, and as part of the development process - which took just eight months - the P Zero was tested on tracks in the UK, Germany and Spain. The P Zero tyre has been designed with performance in mind and takes many influences from Formula One tyres, for which Pirelli is the sole tyre supplier for the championship.

Featuring three solid central ribs, S-shape tread design and high technology asymmetric contour, the Pirelli P Zero offers drivers improved braking and traction at high speed, enhanced handling for sport driving, improved safety and control, even tread wear, reduced noise emissions and improved mileage. So, it is clear to see why Jaguar has selected Pirelli for its XE.

Sizes homologated for the Jaguar XE include 235/35R20 92 Y (front) and 265/30R20 94 Y (rear), while the Pirelli Summer fitment is 100% on the 20-inch fitment.

Pirelli has an existing relationship with Jaguar in developing product-specific tyres. The Italian firm's tyres have also been homologated for the Jaguar F-TYPE and concept C-X75, soon to feature in the new James Bond film.

Pirelli UK Managing Director Dominic Sandivasci said: "We've been working with Jaguar for a number of years to design and develop high-performance tyres for specific prestigious models. We're delighted that the marque has selected our P Zero tyre for the XE and we are particularly proud of how quick we were able to develop our product to enhance the XE's drive requirements."

·
Registered
664 Posts
that reminds me...

as well as retro fitting some options post delivery, which potentially could therefore give a wider choice of options not available by default for the model you are interested in, the dealer I visited at the weekend suggested that post delivery they could refinish the wheels in black for £500

So you could get this done to the standard wheels on a 163bhp diesel model for example, and even potentially get the black pack if you are fussed with that type of thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks Chris,

I just ordered extra wheels and have the default 17' fitted with winter tires :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Last time I had p zero's they lasted 8000 miles.

Amazing grip but very soft.

Nice to see all are Y rated

·
Registered
664 Posts
gsb1970 said:
Marc said:
Thanks Chris,

I just ordered extra wheels and have the default 17' fitted with winter tires :)
How much did this cost Chris?
Not me! that was Marc who posted that comment and weirdly I think it was actually in response to something I said on a different thread ........ 8-}

·
Registered
256 Posts
gsb1970 said:
Marc said:
Thanks Chris,

How much did this cost Chris?
Approx 3.000,- Euro's for the 19" Radiance Black alloys + tyres. The 17" were changed to winter tyres for free.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Remarkable low wear on my 18" Dunlop Sport Maxx RT - after 10,000 miles, they still have 6mm tread remaining evenly across all tyres. I don't know what the new depth was but assuming 8mm, then these could be good for 20,000 miles. This must be due not only to the tyre but also to exceptionally good tracking and suspension movement on the XE

G

·
I am not implying anything here but when buying tyres there is a lot to considered beside size and speed rating. Some tyres are great on some cars and absolute rubbish on others and many tyre sales outfits will sell you tyres that are the wrong speed and load rating and totally unsuitable for the car in question. I bought a set of Avons for a Rover 400. They were superb on that car and were 20000 miles in before I sold it. My next car was a Rover 45V6 and at the time I was doing 20000 miles a year. So being impressed with the Avons I bought a set for this car with the same speed ratings, load ratings etc as the Pirellis they were replacing. They were absolute rubbish and lasted 10000 miles. I do not know why being the same tread etc. I think now many makers are getting approval on tyres for their cars. If you look at many tyre suppliers listings you will see "approved by ******" and the car makers name. So I think that if Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi are approving and testing tyres, it makes sense to buy their recommendations despite the cost. I have had a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx on my last car and can recommend them as a really good allrounder in wet, dry, cornering and braking in all conditions. My car is currently fitted with Pirellis which are proving to be excellent. If anyone buys Dunlop Sportmaxx note that the tyre has Dunlop on a small raised section in the depth of the tread at intervals, with the word DUNLOP wriiten on it, and the tyres are 6mm depth from new and NOT 8mm we were accustomed to. As my car was a demo, the Pirellis could also have just 6mm from new as they are about that now after 7000 miles and about the same when I got it at 4700. Sadly my car has a seperte braking system in the passenger seat (my wife) and the car only gets the heavy foot when I am on my own.

G

·
robertW said:
Remarkable low wear on my 18" Dunlop Sport Maxx RT - after 10,000 miles, they still have 6mm tread remaining evenly across all tyres. I don't know what the new depth was but assuming 8mm, then these could be good for 20,000 miles. This must be due not only to the tyre but also to exceptionally good tracking and suspension movement on the XE
Sorry Robert but I missed your post and can confirm that the Sportmaxx starts out at 6mm. Please have a read of my previous post on this subject.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,436 Posts
Interestingly when I went to order a new front tyre for mine the Sportmaxx is marked with a J as mentioned in a previous post as in being a "special" for Jaguar.
At £155 a pop (yes I know there is always somewhere cheaper and black circles had them at the same price) they aren't cheap.
My tyre of choice is the Michelin PS2 but with two different sizes on the car and RWD it will never be an option to replace them all at the same time.
Interestingly that US guide only showed one size of 19 inchers.
Do the US V6's with AWD have the same tyres and rims front and rear?

G

·
UK only I use Tyreshopper who are National tyres. Last car was quated as £640 from National tyres but ordered through Tyreshopper £406. The same company. That was for Dunlop Sportmaxx 17"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts