Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caused a little controversy on a facebook Jag XE page on this but turned out to be good banter! Has anyone test driven a c class? Now don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, a car I probably would have ordered if it wasn't for the XE. What I can't understand are all the professional reviews saying the c class interior is best in class and the XE isn't up to its standard. I had a c class amg sport for an afternoon and noted the following: way too much silver (plastic) bling. The "artico leather" is posh speak for fake leather and it looks it. The auto selector is a stick behind the steering wheel that looks like it came from an 80's American car. The centre console where the buttons are is hollow and if pressed lightly makes an array of creaking noises and the screen looks like a first gen tablet that's been stuck on the dash as an afterthought. The jag isn't perfect, not saying that for a second, but it was the jag interior that swayed me towards it and away from the merc which I wasn't expecting. Any views? Any c class owners on this jag forum?

G

·
Yes I switched from a 2007 W204 C class to the XE. It was the screen in the new C class that put me off. I sat one last year and I did like the inside except for that horrid screen. I tried to book a test drive in February but the dealer never came back to me. I really didn't like the treatment from two different Mercedes dealerships. I am happy I made the switch from Merc to Jag. Maybe next time I will go back, but for now happy with Jaguar.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I test drove a C class, nice car, and was choice between getting an XE in R Sport trim or C Class in AMG trim, but XE won for me for a no of reasons.

Interior in C Class very nice, but the artico leather and screen put me off compared to XE. Also didn't like the parking brake in a strange position on right hand side of steering wheel on dashboard, felt awkward to me.

Exterior, I like the front end of the C Class, but the rear side and back shape is not as pleasing to the eye as the lines and styling on the XE. The XE looks good from all angles, even the rear, which at first looked a little plain and Audi like, but has certainly grown on me having seen the car up close.

Ultimately it's down to personal taste and its a great dilemma to have, both are very attractive cars

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't get the fuss surrounding the c class interior. The vents strike me as poor man's Pagani Zonda. Personally never liked Mercs.

I do however understand the comments relating to the XE and it's interior quality. I do think it looks great but I don't think it 'feels' quite as good as those it's compared to.

If the chasis is that much more expensive and it's packed with more standard equipment than all the others the quality can't be as high, although they have saved money on last gen engines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did test drive two Mercedes C Class : one with AMG line (sport suspension and seats, 18" rims, ...) and one with the Executive line (comfort suspension, 19" rims, ...). As I previously said in another thread, I was going to order one of those when I discovered the XE and changed my mind.

I believe most of what people say about the interior of a car is very subjective, and a matter of personnal taste. At least when it comes to cars like the C Class or the XE, which are both "premium" cars.

As a matter of fact, I kind of agree with reviews stating that the interior of the C Class is top of its class. Compared to Jaguar, BMW or Volvo, I think Mercedes did a very nice job fitting this interior into the C Class, which is their most sold model.
That doesn't mean I don't like the interior of the Jaguar - actually, I like it pretty much as well - but my opinion is that the XE interior matches the car's class, whereas the C Class interior is above its class. But again, that is clearly a matter of personnal taste.

In my case, I agree with the screen being a little odd on the Mercedes. However, I think the Artico actually looks OK according to its price (however, I would have specced the full-leather, as I would with the XE), the auto selector being behind the steering wheel didn't bother me at all, and as for the centre console making craking noises when pressed, I would say exactly the same about the XE (tested and verified - the plastic is making cracking noises when lightly pressed - at least at some spots).

However, there are a number of reasons why I would rather choose the XE over the C Class: seat comfort, suspension comfort (R-Sport vs AMG line), touch screen, exterior design, price, the way I was treated by Jaguar vs Mercedes dealers, ...

·
Registered
256 Posts
My previous car was a Merc C class (2012 coupe). I personally prefer the XE styling above the old and new C class. The old C was already outdated when I bought it, while I find the new C overstyled. And the after-market-look screen is a no-go!

More important, park both cars next to each other and walk around them...

·
Registered
202 Posts
As much as I like and respect Lewis Hamilton, I think that his somewhat 'blingy' personal style is pretty representative are where Merc seem to be going with their styling, inside and out. Like Marmite, you either like it or you don't - and I'm a don't!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the Britishness of the Jag interior, the Merc, which is a lovely car too, was just a bit 'over the top' for me. Plus the Jag outside looks so cool ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts