Jaguar XE Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcat !

18K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  The Sentinel 
#1 ·
As of today the BRG S has gone and been replaced by this thing.
It's a MY18 380 S in Storm (carpathian) grey.
Named "The Tomcat" by my 12 year-old due to it's "attitude" hence the number plate.
:mrgreen:

Some dodgy pics taken out the back of the dealers in Ascot.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

But the best bit of all..............Sliding cup holder cover!
:D
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm just sorting all the remote app out at the moment.
Still got the old one on there so I can spy on it.
:lol:
New one is sitting outside smelling pretty bad!

#4 ·
Lovely car and colour, Phil.

Do you notice any improvements in build quality or upgrades in cabin material quality, compared to the previous S?

Enjoy it :) .

#5 ·
Stephen said:
Do you notice any improvements in build quality or upgrades in cabin material quality, compared to the previous S?
Early days yet and being a new car it does feel very well screwed together.
One thing I did notice though is that the panel gaps are even tighter than on my previous one.
That was pretty good but these look better.
The classic bonnet to front panel is very tight.
I'll do some pics when I get a chance.

#6 ·
Brilliant, Phil. That's very good indeed. With issues affecting the early (2015) cars now laid to rest and the introduction of the Ingenium petrol engine, the time for me to order is nearing :).

Initial reviews of the new engine on an F-Pace 2.5t sound promising, but being a new design I'll give it some time to be sure there are no major concerns with it.

Once again, enjoy Tomcat!

#12 ·
Thanks for the kind words!

Kaspa said:
Also would like to see your views on the new dash :D
The new dash is pretty good but really it's not a lot more than the original.
You get a main central dial (revcounter or speedo) the smaller right hand dial (speedo or revcounter depending on mode) and the smaller left hand dial which can be configured to various things like phone, media etc.
It's effectively the screen that used to be between the dials for the menus .
But I have one issue already.
In normal mode you have a nice big speedo with fuel/temp guages and a digital speedo underneath the speed limit sign thing.
As soon as you put it into dynamic it swaps over to have the revcounter in front of you and the speedo on the right.
Maybe someone in tech thought people only used dynamic on a track so didn't need a speedo in easy eye view?
:roll:
I drive in dynamic all the time so I'll have to get used to reading the speedo on the right.
Might sound trivial but it's annoying.
Salesman couldn't see a way of changing it and nor can I but maybe a future software update will gives us more options.

Chris93 said:
Great looking car Phil. You'll have to let us know how it compares to your old XE S :)
Probably because it's a new car but in dynamic it feels a fair bit more supple but given a few miles it may loosen up.
First thing I have found is that the 380 has a bigger exhaust than the 340 out the back.
The bore of the rear pipes is bigger and so are the chrome trims.
The cut out in the valance looks bigger and a slightly different shape too.

I haven't noticed any difference in sound though as it's still just as growly as the previous one.
Still barks and pops if you give it a good blip!
But certainly it feels a fair bit more "eager" in the engine dept.
Bit like a 340 that has had too much coffee!
:mrgreen:

#13 ·
Very nice! The cupholder cover and digital dash were the two things I loved about the loaner-XJ actually, good to see they've made it across to the XE now too!

#14 ·
Enjoy your new cat Phil, have fun

#16 ·
AL. said:
Devilish!

It's such a shame that responsible folk like us can't get front-side windows tinted anymore...
You just need to move to Australia :D

#20 ·
Nevyn said:
Only just picked up on this, looks great, excellent name & plate :)
Thanks.
I may be getting older but I'm surprised how many people don't get the F14 reference.
As in Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" .
:roll:

#24 ·
#25 ·
Phil, how come you didn't opt for 20" propellas?

The Storm S is what I'm looking to upgrade to in a couple of years. Do you know if a new shape is in the making for the XE?

#26 ·
billvega said:
Phil, how come you didn't opt for 20" propellas?

The Storm S is what I'm looking to upgrade to in a couple of years. Do you know if a new shape is in the making for the XE?
To be honest Bill, I'm not particularly keen on the look of the 20" wheels.
I'm surprised they still only offer one option in that size.
I had the 19" venoms on the previous one and find they are a good balance of comfort and handling so stayed with them on this one.
The XE is just coming up to 3 years old so maybe we will get a facelift in a year or two but I wouldn't anticipate a major change in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.