Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Carl Tonks

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Carl Tonks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Last night I set off on a 25 miles journey, straight onto the motorway (which is only about 1 1/2 miles from my home) and straight into a jam on the motorway. As the car came to a halt the engine stopped! This is so unusual that I wasn't sure whether it was the stop / start or whether it had just conked out! Traffic moved, I pushed down the clutch and yes, engine started, a few yards later I stopped again and the engine stopped. Then it started again, but hasn't stopped since.

So, the engine has properly stopped twice in the last 4,000 miles-ish.
Carl
163 R Sport (66 Plate)

irishtaff

Post by irishtaff » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 pm

It can be a real pain Carl ...turn it off
Prestige 2.0D MY16 180 IRR, Manual, Light Oyster,Sunroof, !8" Matrix silver wheels, Nav, Lighting Pack, Towbar, Rev assist, Spare wheel, Folding mirrors, and rear seats, Meridian Audio. (+ Skoda exhaust trim )

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Battery management kicked in at the time it didn't operate and the alternator was set to work. Charging is not continuous with this system. The battery level will drop if lights etc are operating and the operation of the S/S will stop working until the alternator takes the battery level over 87%. It is a very poor system for the alternator to actually put charge in at the expense of other systems working ie S/S until that battery level is achieved.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:31 am
miniman wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm
Surely, constant stop starting puts strain on parts, and therefor requires reinforced parts, but are reinforced used?
Apparently everything is made to do this job. The starter motor is stronger and the battery is very high power AGM construction.

Halojones, you must factor in many things that stops the S/S system from working the current cold snap is one.
If you keep the car for any length of time, then you will know the answer to that question. If you switch it off when you get in, you don't need to worry about it.

The one that bothers me slightly is stretching timing chains. I have seen reports of quite a few needing replacement around 30 to 40k. Maybe another problem caused by stop/start. But then who knows??
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 am

I'm with others on here who make it a habit of start engine, rotate gear selector, turn off stop/start. I've done this so many times in the past year that its just second nature now.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Yep Start button, Start/Stop button, Dynamic button. Once you do it a few times you never forget it and best of all you never need to worry that Start/Stop is not working🤗🤗
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

WallyChops

Post by WallyChops » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi my vehicle is a portfolio SE Diesel in white had the car for two and a half years with 16000 miles and it's is a great car but the Stop Start is a problem mainly in the winter, it's been in the dealer ship 4 times and problem and has not been solved.
I have overcome this by fitting and charging overnight with the CTEK MXS 3.8 charger( approx cost £65) charge lasts easily 3 weeks in winter depending on use, easy to connect to vehicle, great product. I have wiring photos if required.
Peter

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you Peter. With respect this suggestion has been mentioned several times but thank you anyway as it's always useful to jog memories. Also welcome from me to the site as it is your first post.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

colin6377

Post by colin6377 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:42 pm

irishtaff wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 pm
It can be a real pain Carl ...turn it off
OR JUST DISCONNECT THE BOOGER ! ! !

Carl Tonks

Post by Carl Tonks » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Mine's going in for its 21,000 mile service at the end of this month and they want it for 2 days to check the battery as apparently losing charge is the most likely cause of the unreliable stop/start. The dealer is expecting to replace the battery (under warranty). Although this obviously won't cost me this time I am concerned that it looks like it has perhaps eaten through a heavy duty and presumably very expensive battery before its first service. How many of these am I going to have to buy over the lifetime of the car?

The other warranty issue they will be looking at is the low washer fluid warning light, which correctly comes on when the car runs low, but then won't go off again when I fill it up. BIG yellow warning of low washer water when I've just put 5 litres in; I don't think so!

Over all I am very pleased with the car, but concerned at these electrical gremlins so early in my ownership. Time will tell.....
Carl
163 R Sport (66 Plate)

Return to “Faults & Technical”