Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Vespa

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Vespa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Mine is working fine since I regenerated twice in as many weeks and the latter regen was 6 hours or there about. Quite happy with it at present as if it is supposed to work then it should. Earlier cars may have had batteries ordered 6 months prior to build and were stockpiled thus losing charge as all batteries will. When fitted the mats needed regeneration then due to chemical changes in the discharge process. Then the cars would have been stockpiled until release and furthur discharge and deterioration would have occured. Car were released in May 2015 and many sat on dealers forecourts for a while. This may have meant that overall the batteries could have sat in a discharging state for 4-6 months or longer. Now production is in full swing so to speak the batteries will be ordered and delivered and fitted within a couple of weeks from production and be in tip top condition, hence many are now not having S/S problems because the batteries are fully functioning without the mats needing service with regeneration and are at their peak from the word go.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

All very odd. Mine is July 2015 and I bought it approved in June 2016. On the odd occasion when I forget to switch it off the Stop/Start works every time. Never had any battery problems at all (touch wood). The air con and radio are permanently on and I often use the heated seats and heated wheel. The battery has never been charged other than by the car alternator and the damn thing still annoys the hell out me when it stops. Based on all the posts in this thread I’ve come to the conclusion that if you do want it to work, you had better get a one of those charger thingies and look forward to lots of visits to the dealer and the frustration when it won’t work. If on the other hand you hate the bloody thing, just remember to press the start button followed by the stop/start. Result, happy motoring. 😁😁😁

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Well Christine is doing my head in at moment, S/S not worked for a good fortnight, including a 50 mile trip this morning, however this afternoon on a 3 mile trip out not working, and on the way back it started working, she must know I intended to ring service dept on Monday morning :)
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am

No issues with either of mine. They work(ed) very early in journeys and with lots of kit switched on.
I think you've hit on a very relevant point Vespa - the initial state of the battery when it gets to the first owner.
The fact that it may need a regen at this point and no matter how long the trips, it will not fully recover until the regen is done.
I know there are lots of conditions to satisfy for it to work but the battery condition will override all of these.
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

My August '15 car is going in next week for this. I either want a new voltage regulator or a new battery or a free fitted charger. Fed up with this.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Does anyone know if the gel in gel batteries is very fluid, Christine has done exactly the same today as my previous post on Saturday, but I omitted that after outbound trip she was parked up facing down hill on a steep hill for about an hour, which makes me think something physical is going on, IE gel moving about in battery.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Where are the batteries made?
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

keith100

Post by keith100 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:04 am

Repairman wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm
she was parked up facing down hill on a steep hill for about an hour, which makes me think something physical is going on,
Essex girl?

robertW

Post by robertW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 am

keith100 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:04 am
Repairman wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm
she was parked up facing down hill on a steep hill for about an hour, which makes me think something physical is going on,
Essex girl?
:lol:
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Ha Ha

Return to “Faults & Technical”