Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
147daytona

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by 147daytona » Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Mine is a 80 Ah and the stop/start works flawlessly whenever I forget to turn it off ;)
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 am

a couple more
AA recommends 85 Ah
Halfords a 95 Ah
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am

I agree that the battery cannot cope but I think you will find all are fitted with 80 Ah batteries. Mine is working fine again after the current stupid packing up so I think there is more to this than just battery and more involved electronic control. Wait for the cars to start bursting into flames as I can see that happening as they get older.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 am

I think they have fitted the bare bones of a battery with the 80Ah.
Only just enough to do the job when in condition.
The number of people having to have them recharged/ reconditioned makes it clear to me it's a basic standard.
It appears to be susceptible to the slightest loss of grunt so that the various modules start shutting things down very quickly like stop start.
The car will start fine but the "extras" pack up.
I recall a thread where a member had a no start and the battery was dead and the Jag assist bloke only had 90Ah batteries on the van.
Apparently fitting it made a big difference.
From the documents I saw from Vespa they do fit 90Ah as standard but only for a list of "cold" countries or if the car has the separate remote engine heater.
I suppose the bean counters at JLR earn their bonus shaving a few quid off the build costs by fitting the 80Ah so it's not surprising.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

robdayau

Post by robdayau » Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Mine is only 70Ah! That is what was was fitted from new, and the warranty replacement is the same.
I saw some details a few weeks ago, and I can’t remember where from! I t could have been a link from this site, or something obtained by other means.
Anyway, as I recall, there are 3 different sizes fitted depending on the spec of the car. Cold climate pack, and various other thing.
I think it’s 70Ah, 80Ah, & 90Ah.
I am in Australia by the way.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm

The warranty replacement I had fitted a few weeks ago is a 80 Ah, since then it has worked flawlessly, even after not being used for a few days or so at a time. It now kicks in very early on in the journey, the obvious things that stop it are the aircon working hard etc.

But of course it’s a brand new battery, the other one had to be replaced when the car was not three years old and was not used for the first 17 months of its life.

Cheers,
R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, jet/red seats with jet headlining, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot (previously not used, now keeps children entertained on long journeys) electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

KevinInSuffolkUK

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 pm

DavidW wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm
the other one had to be replaced when the car was not three years old and was not used for the first 17 months of its life.
Was the battery maintained during that 17 months?
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

KevinInSuffolkUK wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 pm
[quote=DavidW post_id=70474 time=<a href="tel:1526404228">1526404228</a> user_id=2182]the other one had to be replaced when the car was not three years old and was not used for the first 17 months of its life.
Was the battery maintained during that 17 months?
[/quote]

Only Jaguar know the answer to that. On first tests the dealer said it was not a dud, then second test within a few weeks it was replaced. I disclosed the non use of the car as it could have contributed to the battery needing to be replaced for the stop/start system to function correctly. However there were no other signs of battery problems.

Cheers
R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, jet/red seats with jet headlining, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot (previously not used, now keeps children entertained on long journeys) electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

Carl Tonks

Post by Carl Tonks » Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Since my battery was replaced under warranty it has worked perfectly. Very occasionally (usually coming off the motorway) it doesn't cut out first stop, which I assume is due to the emissions management system or some-such as it only ever does this for the first stop after a motorway cruise. Otherwise it is pretty faultless and even now cuts in (or cuts out, if you see what I mean) very early on in a journey, before I would expect the engine to reach temperature. After it not operating at all for about 8 months I was very dubious when they said it would be fine, but to be fair, 1500 miles down the road they appear to be right. So far...........
Carl
163 R Sport (66 Plate)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Mine is back to normal again. A pretty useless piece of electronic rubbish that I wish I hadn't wasted so much time on. It's a pity it isn't part of many other pieces of cyber junk associated with the car. Incontrol premium, no pay then your rubbish S/S won't work. Thank you I'll have that.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Return to “Faults & Technical”