Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
kkrazy

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by kkrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 am

kkrazy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 pm
....... So this happened earlier this evening!!

.... And then THIS happened too!!!

What did I do?! I drove the car in Dynamic, and... and it worked :S Twice!
Hasn't worked more than once since last month...
I should add, I only drove 12 miles, had my headed seat on (lowest setting), and climate on auto...
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am

kkrazy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 am
I should add, I only drove 12 miles, had my headed seat on (lowest setting), and climate on auto...
The only time I get the crossed out white logo is for the first couple of miles from cold.
As soon as the engine is up to temp (pretty quick on the V6) then it starts to work.
I spoke to my dealer about it and he checked and said the only software update that was done was the old "digital screen going blank" which the car had refused to take previously .
I confirmed that definitely nothing was updated on the stop start as I see on topix there is a bulletin on stop/start being inoperative.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

xep

Post by xep » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm

My 2 cents...

Had my car just under a year. Had issues with the S/S not working at all. Sent it in, recharged the battery overnight, worked for a month or so and went back to not working.
Sent back in again, apparently diagnostics had errors with the battery, so it was replaced in September-ish. Since then, no issues whatsoever. Works after a few minutes drive (unless car is heavily frosted and heating is on full wack etc).

My only niggle is that despite the S/S button showing from engine start as "on" and the light below the button on, if I press the button, the dash then shows as "S/S ON"... err it was already on?
If I press it again, it finally goes off, and then back on.
XE R Sport 240 MY16 | Bluefire / Jet Blue | Black / Privacy / Cold Climate / Parking pack

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:33 pm

xep wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm
My 2 cents...

Had my car just under a year. Had issues with the S/S not working at all. Sent it in, recharged the battery overnight, worked for a month or so and went back to not working.
Sent back in again, apparently diagnostics had errors with the battery, so it was replaced in September-ish. Since then, no issues whatsoever. Works after a few minutes drive (unless car is heavily frosted and heating is on full wack etc).

My only niggle is that despite the S/S button showing from engine start as "on" and the light below the button on, if I press the button, the dash then shows as "S/S ON"... err it was already on?
If I press it again, it finally goes off, and then back on.
I could have written this post xep. Your experience with the battery is almost identical to mine and I have now got used to the s/s working as it should and how the on/off switch operates. Sometimes when on the move I press the switch to turn it off and the display tells me that it is on. I then need to press it again to turn it off. Ho Hum!! After all we mustn't forget, it's a Jag full of quirks , but I love it.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Quirks are only on "Bargain Hunt" BBC @ 12.15 daily repeated daily forever and ever and ever and ever Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. So far my S/S has worked faultlessly since I fitted the new 90Ah battery about 3 weeks ago.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Quirks are only on "Bargain Hunt" BBC @ 12.15 daily repeated daily forever and ever and ever and ever Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. So far my S/S has worked faultlessly since I fitted the new 90Ah battery about 3 weeks ago.
I'm glad your s/s is still working since your investment Vespa and long may it do so. Fortunately my battery was changed about 4 months ago under warranty and has worked ever since, but I have charged it once with the Ctec charger. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I must say that after a hard day at the office. Oh no what I meant to say is: After a hard morning wandering round the shops with the wife and drinking coffee in M&S, Costa or any other coffee shop, the TV doesn't go on until about 4pm and as soon as it does the Zzzzzzz's start. It's so annoying when you miss 20 minutes of a program you've been watching. Thank heavens we have catch-up TV now-a-days as we seem to use it all the time.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:39 pm

I can't face reading thru 62 pages to see if this has been posted on here already. I know there have been posts linking to the Aussie who says SS is a disaster and saves no fuel and kills engines. Here is an alternative view backed by actual up-to-date tests instead of relying on ancient "knowledge".

To cut to the chase, the tests show that if your car will be idling for more than seven seconds, stop/start will save you fuel. And no, your car when it re-starts doesn't suddenly use the equivalent of ten minutes idling. And no, your starter motor has been designed and tested to work this way.

If this has already been agreed, apologies for re-hashing it.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't blame for not reading all this tome of replies. What it has shown is that the battery is the crux of the problem on early cars with very few later ones having problems. Since sticking in a 90Ah battery 4 weeks ago mine is faultless and works everytime once the temp parameters are reached. Thank you for that update regarding the points raised as I am sure they are spot on.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:52 am

I know it's a pain but the S/S is still working 100% and the battery was the problem. It appears now there is another Topix item about battery testing. I wonder why?

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 pm

..... :shock: :shock: .

Holy Oaks! I have never seen ANY thread last as long as this. Vespa, you have got to receive some sort of award for starting what turned out to be a two-year (and counting) steady discussion.

And car makers have got to receive some sort of praise for creating a gadget in the car that raised more modern day debate, urban legend prejudices, disdain, delight, confusion, and downright cranky stubbornness in car owners than I can imagine.

...I heard that, next year, they plan to use 4-year-change motor oil, instead of yearly-change :roll: Won't that be wonderful for us? Hmm? Won't you love it?
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green