Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
Repairman

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by Repairman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Well charged battery yesterday, and S/S working again, will have to see how long it lasts
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Vespa wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm
Lo and behold and it came to pass that the S/S is now working again in my car. There is now a warning of low battery in my remotes for around 6 start ups (both fobs) So I ordered some from Ebay and as soon as the order was placed the warning went away. The warning bing on ignition is still there. I am convinced that the electronics are all screwed up good and proper.
The batteries arrived and I replaced them in both remote keyfobs. The bing was the battery low in the keyfob warning but initially didn't show on the display. So add to the handbook remote keyfob battery section " An audible warning will also be heard once, on start up, if the remote keyfob batteries need changing the display may not initially show this" This means that the car and remote key fobs interact in more ways than just opening and closing doors etc. The spare showed the same response although never used. I assume that the battery life is approx 3 years and the car registers a new battery fitted date in the internal brains of the electronics. ;)
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 pm

That's a good tip to know Vespa, at this rate we will be able to create a better owners manual than JLR

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm

I knew I wanted something to do when I retire :)

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Whilst my Jag is in the Bodyshop I have been driving a 67 plate Mondeo 2 litre diesel GT Line which is a nice car but nowhere near as nice to drive as the XE but the stop start literally works 100% of the time. Even on a frosty morning with a minus temp I go a couple of hundred yards from my house stop at traffic lights and hey presto the stop start kicks in. Prior to the Momdeo I had a 65 plate Passat for 24 hours, it had done 35K miles but guess what the s/s worked every time. My XE s/s was pretty good when I first had it but nothing like the Mondeo. I suspect the battery in the XE is not up to the job and all the BS we are given about all the parameters that must be met for it to work are just excuses.
Formerly an XE 180d Portfolio Auto Polaris White & Light Oyster with loads of extras thanks to 1st owner :D Sadly written off so now driving an XF S 3.0 D with ICTP and lots of other toys :D

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Returned today after just over eight weeks away and collected my XE from secure storage. It started first time and I headed off with the aircon on as usual and both heated front seats on full power as it was only around 6C and the leather on my ass was chilly to say the least. Pulled up at the first set of lights about three miles down the road and the engine cut out.... I’d forgotten to switch off the auto stop/start. Does this disprove the theory that the battery is responsible for auto stop/start failure? I’ve had the car a year and my s/s has never failed to work (whenever I’ve forgotten to switch it off) even though the car is usually kept outside and I sometimes only use it a couple of times a week.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am

If the batteries are the same then the cut in %age voltage drop for S/S is altered on newer cars OR JLR have told dealers not to replace batteries on older XE's.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am

Vespa wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am
If the batteries are the same then the cut in %age voltage drop for S/S is altered on newer cars OR JLR have told dealers not to replace batteries on older XE's.
The car (and I assume the battery) is over two years old.... first registered by Jaguar on 1/3/16. It’d only done 1500 miles at one year old when I bought it and still has only 7500 on the clock
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Vespa wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am
Vespa, are you suggesting that newer cars don’t have the problem to the same degree? Is that the experience of those of you with more recently built cars?

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Probably. I had a loan xf the other day and the S/S worked everytime.

Return to “Faults & Technical”